News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thank you, eHell! Used some eHell knowledge with my Aunt.  (Read 1531 times)

momof2weenies

• (3 weenies now!)
Thank you, eHell! Used some eHell knowledge with my Aunt.
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
<BG>  My Aunt (mom's sister-in-law) is not a nice woman.  Never has been - and now that I'm an adult (and member of eHell), I realize that I don't have to passively accept her rude behavior.

Aunt married my uncle about 15 years ago.  For the last 15 years, TGing and Xmas have been the same in our family:  it's planned for a date that fits as many schedules as possible, we love it if you can make it but understand if you can't (or don't want to).
</BG>

Thanksgiving at my mom's house - Aunt originally said she wasn't going to be there, but did come anyway, albeit late, which is a regular occurrence with that side of the family.  My mom is trying to work out when to host Xmas (Aunt and Uncle choose not to host, which is fine for all involved):

Mom:  "So what should we do for Xmas"
Aunt:  (snippy tone) "Nothing, cancel it"
Me:  (politely, as if she'd simply said she was unable to come) "Well, we'll miss you then."

Listening to her "parent" my cousin's kid (technically her step-grandson, who she never sees) drove me bonkers - because his mom had it all taken care of - but I kept silent.  I did talk with my cousin later and told her a line I've heard here on eHell, "Thanks, Aunt, I've got it."

Should she choose to join us at Christmas and again act like it's her job to make sure no one enjoys the day, I will use the patented, "You don't sound like you're having a very good time, would you like me to get your coat?  We can catch up later when you're feeling better."
"Dachshunds are like potato chips. You can never have just one."

Ginderette

• Working on my Social Interaction +1 Skill...
Re: Thank you, eHell! Used some eHell knowledge with my Aunt.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
Good for you!

One of the things I love about EHell - Etiquette isn't about being a doormat, it's about setting boundaries and ways to politely enforce them.  ;D
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain