Author Topic: Bob Geldorf tells it like it is.  (Read 3453 times)

Jan74

Re: Bob Geldorf tells it like it is.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
Try listening to the 2004 version... it makes the original sound like the best song on earth!

When I first heard it, I thought that it was some sort of parody from a SNL type show.

But if you consider he is also to blame to that one by proxy, he is responsible for 3 out of the top 10 worst songs ever. I mean, sure, Geldof gets a pass on "Muskrat Love" and "MacArthur Park", but it is still not looking good for him.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
I'm glad that he has the honesty to admit now that 'Do you know it's Christmas' was a really bad song, because it is!! Melodramatic, insulting, corny, cheesy, and not at all serving it's purpose. It's good to see he realizes that now.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
"And the christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom"

He certainly knows his way around a lyric. :P

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
See I always assumed the "snow in Africa" thing was meant to be ironic.

Guess I was reading too much into it.

Either way, cringeworthy as these songs are, Mr Geldof has to stand in line way, waaay behind whomever is responsible for "We Built This City."  That thing makes me stabby.

eta:  Okay, I had to go find the lyrics, and bonus!   The video played on the lyrics site.  What a hoot!  It looked like a mullet-and-bad-fashion convention.  We thought we had it goin' ON in the 80s, yo    ;D

Phil Collins was so freaking adorable
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:30:46 PM by aventurine »

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
Melodramatic, insulting, corny, cheesy,

And that's why I actually love this song! It is cheesy, but when Bono sings "Tonight thank God it's them isntead of you" I always get chills.

I watched the video on the link and I have to say Geldorf was kind of sexy back then. An in control, talented Geek, love it.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
See I always assumed the "snow in Africa" thing was meant to be ironic.

Guess I was reading too much into it.

Either way, cringeworthy as these songs are, Mr Geldof has to stand in line way, waaay behind whomever is responsible for "We Built This City."  That thing makes me stabby.

eta:  Okay, I had to go find the lyrics, and bonus!   The video played on the lyrics site.  What a hoot!  It looked like a mullet-and-bad-fashion convention.  We thought we had it goin' ON in the 80s, yo    ;D

Phil Collins was so freaking adorable

I love "We built this City"! And Phil, too!

The mullets - not so much. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »

What's wrong with We built this City?
I thought that was a good song.  I don't get why everybody hates it.  ???
Stewart/Colbert '16

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54:31 PM »
It was voted the Worst Song Ever in some huge Time magazine article some years ago. I agree with them, although I liked it and used to dance to it at junior high school dances when it first came out. We didn't realize then how bad it was, but it fit the culture more back then. Just cheesy, stupid, now.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 01:30:49 AM »
Now I do agree with that, that We Built This City is an awful, stupid song. Just all around bad.

Ed.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 01:37:46 AM »
It was voted the Worst Song Ever in some huge Time magazine article some years ago.

I remember that, and I felt so vindicated when that came out   ;D

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

marcel

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
I'm glad that he has the honesty to admit now that 'Do you know it's Christmas' was a really bad song, because it is!! Melodramatic, insulting, corny, cheesy, and not at all serving it's purpose. It's good to see he realizes that now.
I think it did.
It's purpose was collecting money for Ethiopie and it raised much more then was expected originally.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Jan74

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
It is not the good kind of corny and cheesy.

Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" is the good kind of corny and cheesy.  ;D

But I do find the concept of thanking God that other people are in a terrible situation, and not me, to be insulting.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »
But I do find the concept of thanking God that other people are in a terrible situation, and not me, to be insulting.

I've always interpreted that line to be calling people out on that attitude, not endorsing it.

Jan74

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 03:20:31 PM »

I've always interpreted that line to be calling people out on that attitude, not endorsing it.

That is a much better interpretation.

magicdomino

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »

That's what I thought.  I have to admit, I rather like these songs, even if the lyrics make absolutely no sense.  It's fun to try and recognize the different artists' voices.  I also get a kick out of the rap section in the Haiti version of "We Are the World."

Then again, I also like the "Knee deep in the hoopla" line of "We Built This City."  I never claimed to have good taste.   :)