Author Topic: "Any excuse to not go to work!"  (Read 4971 times)

Mopsy428

"Any excuse to not go to work!"
« on: December 03, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
BG: I know I've written about funerals a lot, but this has been one of those years.  :-\ When I am able, I call in to a sub line to see if there is any substitute teaching work available, and I work PT at a restaurant while I'm studying for the bar. I'm curbing my teaching time to devote more time to studying for the February exam.

My Aunt Marie is Mom's sister. Our families are very, very close. We've gone to school together, played together when we were kids, etc., etc. Aunt Marie is also my godmother, and I go out for coffee once a week with her daughter, cousin Renee.

Aunt Marie married Uncle Mike. Uncle Mike's father died on Thanksgiving.  :'( He was 88, and he was an amazing man who appreciated the little things in life. I attended his funeral on Tuesday. End BG.

I carpooled to the church with my parents. Before the funeral, we saw a few of my mom's brothers and sisters outside the church, talking. One of my uncles says to me, "You're not working?"

I say, "I have today off."

Uncle says, "Wow! You'll use anything as an excuse not to go into work! You're almost as bad as those guys who go to the bereavement meals for people they don't know!"

I said, "I actually knew Mr. Smith (the deceased) well, and I'm attending for him and his family, not to get out of work or to get a free meal."

This is the same uncle who told Aunt Marie yesterday that she was taking advantage of the system by using her 5 day bereavement leave from her job. She was not happy, and told him that she used two of those days to attend the wake/funeral, and is using her remaining time to get things done that she didn't get to do during the flurry before the funeral.

And Dad wonders why I go elsewhere for some of the holidays when he has Obnoxious Uncle over.  ::) It just seems like he keeps getting ruder and ruder with each passing year.

Minmom3

Re: "Any excuse to not go to work!"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:55:33 AM »
I'd say this is a good reason to shun him, personally.  I see NO reason to spend any time around a person who will say something like that...  What a pig.   >:(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 02:11:32 AM »
Ewwww...What a total (can't even say the word on ehell)...
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Iris

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 03:45:31 AM »
Err, yes, of course she was taking advantage of her 5 days bereavement leave...that's what it's for. That's why it's called bereavement leave. If I have walked a long way I will take advantage of a handy park bench.

What a ridiculous and offensive man. It concerns me though that both you and your aunt answered him with justifications. You do not owe this revolting man anything, especially not an explanation of your behaviour. I used to do the same thing until someone pointed out that I was dignifying rudeness by treating it as a fair comment. "What an interesting assumption" or simply a cold stare and a cold shoulder are all this revolting man deserves.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

dizzygoround

• happy happy bunny
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »
I'm going to POD HYGTBH. The silent stare works wonders, especially when someone has been rude to you in front of others. It allows you to retain your dignity while they embarrass themselves.

Little Jo

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »
I am sorry for your loss. The best thing to do is not dignify that kind of behaviour with a reponse.

araigne

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »

What a ridiculous and offensive man. It concerns me though that both you and your aunt answered him with justifications. You do not owe this revolting man anything, especially not an explanation of your behaviour. I used to do the same thing until someone pointed out that I was dignifying rudeness by treating it as a fair comment. "What an interesting assumption" or simply a cold stare and a cold shoulder are all this revolting man deserves.

I absolutely agree! I've had to learn not to apologize or justify the comments of rude people, and I'm still learning. I need to work on my cold stare in preparation for Xmas at my in-laws' !

Lynda_34

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
What an interesting assumption is perfect here.

Lynda_34

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
My reply would be a comment along the lines of "I have whatever coming up, i've no one dying then, could you consider accomadating me between the dates of and  >:D?".  I'd really appreciate it.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
Didi he think he was being funny?  I can see some of my more uncouth relatives making this type of completely inappropriate joke.

"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
*redacted so I don't get banned*

What a lousy so-and-so! I'm so sorry you had to put up with that!
The status is not quo!