News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 04:17:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ruining Childhood-Responses needed!!!  (Read 6815 times)

gellchom

Re: Ruining Childhood-Responses needed!!!
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »
Maybe you can say, "There are many ways to make Christmas special for kids. Santa is really just the idea that someone is spoiling you on Christmas morning, isn't it?"

That's what my mom told me, when I figured out that Santa wasn't real.
"Sure, Santa's real!" she said. "Santa is when someone tries really hard to give you something really special on Christmas, and to make you feel tingly with anticipation for Christmas morning. That hasn't changed."

Toots, this is a wonderful story.  What a wise mom!

Thipu1

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
Like many other posters here I figured out the whole Santa thing pretty early.  The realization wasn't traumatic.  In fact, it put a whole new spin on Christmas.

My mother sat down with me and we had a nice talk that went something like this.

"Now that you're old enough to know that Santa isn't a big man in a red suit you're old enough to know that you can be Santa and make Christmas happy for little children who still believe".

It was a simple message but it worked.     

Larrabee

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
I think the only thing I'd feel a little bit sad about for a family that doesn't 'do' Santa (or Father Christmas as he is known here) would be missing out on reading 'The Night Before Christmas'!  That's one of my favourite childhood books and an absolute classic. 

As for "It's all about Jesus", I think as long as you add "for us" or "in our family" then you're fine.