Author Topic: Finally getting to use this one  (Read 3034 times)

Ciarrai

Finally getting to use this one
« on: December 05, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
One of my husband's cousins is about six months pregnant now. She and her husband have moved to Puerto Rico due to his job, and she has decided not to work while they are there. The rest of us live in B.C.

She is a very, very mean woman, and I cannot stand her. The week before the wedding she sent me a very rude email accusing my husband and I, and my brother- and sister-in-law, of only inviting her parents to things that we get presents for (her father, my husband's uncle, was not invited to he and his brother's joint bachelor party.) At that point, we cut her out of our lives and there has been no contact since, almost 4.5 months later.

I receive an email today from another of my husband's cousins, who I am quite close with. She is getting up a collection to send EvilCousin a gift card for Toys R'Us, as EvilCousin is apparently quite lonely in Puerto Rico, so she wants to cheer her up by sending her a gift card so she knows her family in B.C. is thinking of her. The rest of the women in the family, excluding my sister-in-law and myself, have all responded saying they would love to and that it's a great idea.

I politely emailed back that sorry, that won't be possible. I have yet to get a response.

Jan74

Re: Finally getting to use this one
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »
Way to go.

Presents are for nice people.

Nora

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:40 AM »
Way to go.

Presents are for nice people.

So true!

Good for you for not caving to peer pressure! I did the same with a truly awful teacher. He was bad to everyone, but when it was time to get away and go to a new school everyone in class was asked for money for a gift by one of the kids in our class. I told them it would be a cold day in a hot place before he got anything from me.

I did however buy two different teachers personal gifts, because they taught me things I was truly grateful for. 10 years later I still remember the look on their faces. One in particular was not very popular, as he was a little strict, and wanted people to do the work he assigned. He was great though. Put a lot of heart into what he taught us, and gave me important life skills I've used everyday since. He almost cried when I gave him his present.

Those people get gifts.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

boxy

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »
This does my heart good to see people rewarding those who have earned something, i.e., the good teacher, and declining to participate in gift giving to those who are rude, mean vindictive, etc.

Good job everyone!