Author Topic: The purpose of this folder...please read  (Read 15252 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
The purpose of this folder...please read
« on: December 26, 2006, 11:15:24 AM »
It's been a longstanding tradition for Etiquette Hellions to be very generous when presented with the offer to donate for good causes.  The first ever fundraising was for the rural Corinth, NC fire department which desperately needed to upgrade their equipment.  Next was the Katrina Project where Ehellions contributed to the immediate needs of several Etiquette Hell forum members living in New Orleans.  The most recent charitable giving was in the form of knitted/crocheted and handmade scarves for the residents of the Trinity Rehabilitation Facility in Slidell, LA.  Over 380 scarves were made or money donated to purchase yarn and pay for shipping.

With the start of the new year 2007, Etiquette Hell is once again on the move to raise funds for a worthy charity.  This year's project is a cookbook of Etiquette Hell members' favorite recipes.  Profits from the sale of this cookbook will benefit Room to Read, a foundation created to establish libraries, schools and scholarship programs in developing countries as a way to break the cycle of poverty.   Read more about it at www.roomtoread.org.

So, get cracking with the recipe submissions, menus for a great dinner party and etiquette advice!   All posts submitted will be subject to editing and reprint in the cookbook.  Do not post a recipe in this folder if you do not want it published in the cookbook.

At some time later in the year, volunteers from the forum will edit and design the cookbook and most likely it will be offered for sale from a print-on-demand site. 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: The purpose of this folder...please read
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
When it comes time to edit and design the cookbook, I'd like to volunteer.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

FedUpWithYou

• Disgusted.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:12:34 PM »
If we posted a recipe on the previous forum, do we need to re-submit?
"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

Perhaps the same could be said of a forum.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »
Another member went back to the old forum and cut and then pasted all the ones from that forum into this one.  All the posts have her ID on them but she was careful to attribute the recipe to the proper, original poster in the message section. 

FedUpWithYou

• Disgusted.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »
Thank you!
"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

Perhaps the same could be said of a forum.

smarterthanu213

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:07:12 PM »
I'd like to volunteer to edit when the time comes, if you need me!

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:55:29 PM »
Shouldn't we test them too...ya know to see if they are good or not. ;D

Seriously I can't imagine any of them being bad but it would give us an excuse lol

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 03:16:30 PM »
I'd like to volunteer to edit when the time comes, if you need me!

Err, misread this as "volunteer to eat" - I'll volunteer for that too!

rockingrandma

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
Would you consider adding a Kid Friendly category?  Kids can be notoriously picky, and sometimes you need something for lunch that you can fix fast while chasing rug rats that they'll actually eat, or something they can help prepare.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 08:53:30 AM »
Would you consider adding a Kid Friendly category?  Kids can be notoriously picky, and sometimes you need something for lunch that you can fix fast while chasing rug rats that they'll actually eat, or something they can help prepare.

I think that's a great idea.  A section of the cookbook for quick recipes, stuff kids love, and maybe some simple things that kids can make, as well.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

keelhaulrose

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
I'd also like to volunteer to help with the book, if needed.

BittyB

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »
I'd like to volunteer to make some clip-art style original graphics for the cook-book if they are wanted.  I can do B&W and full color.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 07:25:13 PM »
Can I add a request as well?

Maybe a category for "Healthy" recipes.  For instance (but not, necessarily, limited to) Weight Watchers recipes that people have found tasty (and easy).  Could also include such things as "low-fat" recipes, "low-carb" recipes, etc.  Whatever people have found to be good when trying to eat in a more healthy way.

lu23lu29

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
Kinda new here.  This is a great idea!  I'd like to see slow cooker recipes.  Not sure how to start the new category. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »
Kinda new here.  This is a great idea!  I'd like to see slow cooker recipes.  Not sure how to start the new category. 

THANK YOU!  I was just coming in here to suggest the very same thing! :D

I just got a Crock Pot last night, and I'm anxious to start using it!  I'd love some recipes from those of you who have one, too.

I cooked a pot roast last night (overnight).  And, I had to get up at 3:30 just to make sure it was still ok.  Are they really that safe?  Can I sleep in peace knowing that I'm not going to start a fire?  Can all the water boil off and start a fire?  Can you overcook something if I don't get up right at 7:00 and sleep a tiny bit later?

Help!  I'm happy to have one of these things, but I'm still a little leery of this "put food in and forget about it for several hours" concept! :D