Author Topic: Diana Ross: awards faux pas?  (Read 3619 times)

AmberVolakis

• I'm not perfect, I'm clumsy!
Diana Ross: awards faux pas?
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »
Bit of BG: The Kennedy Center Honors are a big deal in America, one of the most prestigious awards that a person in the arts can receive. Those honored receive a rainbow colored ribbon draped around their neck by the president at a ceremony and dinner, proceeding a formal tribute gala. At the gala, the honorees are seated in the balcony of the Kennedy Center alongside the president where they watch their tributes. They are expected to wear the ribbons they received earlier in the evening over their formal attire.

The 2010 honorees (awarded tonight) are Oprah Winfrey, Paul McCartney, Merle Haggard, Jerry Herman and Bill T. Jones.

I was looking through the Washington Post's coverage of the event tonight and in the photos I came across one of Diana Ross, who is a past recipient of the award and was a guest at tonight's gala, wearing HER ribbon which she received when she was honored in 2007. (It's page 16 of the slideshow here).

Does that strike anyone else as unbelievably tacky? Whether she has a technical right to wear it or not, I expect the only people to be wearing their ribbons to be that night's honorees. For someone who was awarded their ribbon years ago to wear hers when she is a guest seems like a faux pas and an attempt to take the some attention from the night's honorees and say, "See, I got one too!" Now Ross may be proud of her honor but she's not being honored tonight - she's a guest and an audience member. She already had her night as an honoree where she was the focus, got to wear her ribbon and sit next to the president. Tonight was devoted to this year's group of honorees and their moment to wear the ribbons they just received and to get tributes from fellow artists. I think it would be like Meryl Streep attending this year's Oscars and bringing one of her old Oscars with her and holding it while she sat and watched the show.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: Diana Ross: awards faux pas?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:31:17 PM »
Interesting.  I liken it more to a Miss America wearing her sash in public - IOW appropriate.

Do other awardees wear theirs when they attend as guests.  I would be intersted to know what hte actual etiquette is on this.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Lashley

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:33:56 PM »
I think it depends. Is it traditional for all past honorees to wear their sashes? If so, I think it's fine. If not, then I completely agree with you.

AmberVolakis

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
I couldn't find any mention of Diana Ross being a presenter or participant this year, so I think she was just an audience member.

Edward Albee (a 1996 recipient) paid tribute to Bill T. Jones this year, but I haven't see any photos yet to see if Albee wore his ribbon. Edited: I just found a photo. Albee did not wear his ribbon to this year's event.

Jessye Norman received a Kennedy Center Honor in 1997 (the youngest recipient of it ever, in fact) and she was an attendee and presenter at this year's gala. As the photo shows, she also did not wear her ribbon.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:41:22 PM by AmberVolakis »

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:10:51 AM »
Not to be overly harsh, but Diana Ross has pulled so many etiquette blunders and attention-whore behaviors that this seems minor.

It does scream "look at me!" though...
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

evely28

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »
I don't know if it was an older photo or not, but Smokey Robinson wore his in one of the photo's.

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
Not to be overly harsh, but Diana Ross has pulled so many etiquette blunders and attention-whore behaviors that this seems minor.

This leads me to think that it was not an honest mistake. Although with these sort of individuals, they typically have a dresser, so wouldn't SOMEONE caution her before her arrival.

I agree with others, if it's not tradition, then she shouldn't have worn it.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »

POD

Jan74

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
I agree with the PP who said that for Diana Ross, this is minor.

I mean, I'm glad that she didn't squeeze anyone's bosom like she did in that MTV Awards that time...  ::)

AmberVolakis

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »
Another interesting thing: Diana wore a big bulky trench-type coat over her outfit and, on the red carpet (or photographer greeting area) she whipped open her coat, flasher style, to show that she was wearing her ribbon (it was not visible with her coat closed). That seems to me another indication that she was definitely doing it for attention, making sure it was covered so she could "unveil" it to photographers from under her coat.

One of the reasons I think that is because, looking at the photos of other celebrities and people arriving, no one else was photographed wearing a coat on the little red carpet area (which may be indoors, I can't tell). And several other women were wearing gowns and outfits that were shorter and showed more skin than Diana's, and no one appeared the least bit cold nor was it raining. So I find it hard to believe she was wearing the coat for practical purposes.

ancient drum

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »

Which is pretty much Diana Ross in a nutshell.

hellgirl

• Procrastinator-extraordinaire!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »
I was looking through those pics and wonder how long it'll take for someone (not here - in the general media I mean) to hassle Sir Paul McCartney for standing, hands clasped at waist, during the anthem. Perfectly correct of course - but always fun to see ignorant media fallout :D

I've been trying to google wearing the ribbon, but can't find anything. Hmmmm...

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:53 AM »
I don't quite see the problem here. Would it be rude for a military person who was awarded a medal to wear it to a ceremony where someone else is getting a medal?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
Apparently she was the only past winner who felt people needed to be reminded.

evely28

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 10:38:39 AM »
I've seen picture's of two different outfits including jackets Ms. Ross was wearing plus Smokey Robinson wearing the ribbin in one of the picture's. I think before judgement is made, it would be important to find out the protocol.