Author Topic: What to serve with beef stew?  (Read 24864 times)

MaggieB

What to serve with beef stew?
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »
I am having some people over for beef stew this weekend (I'm really excited, I've been craving stew for months...oh, and my friends are cool too.   ;) )

I can't decide what to serve with it, though.  I'll make biscuits and a dessert, but is that enough?  Vegetable options seem a little redundant with all the vegetables in the stew.  I could eat salad any time, but does a cold salad undermine the whole "hearty stew and warm bread on a cold winter's day" thing?

Maybe I need more courses instead of more sides?  But what do you serve as a starter when your main course is soup?

I'm probably way over thinking this, I just want it to go well.  I'm one of the last single girls in my group. and most of my married friends have taken over hosting duties when we all get together.  I want to show them that I'm still completely capable of putting together nice meals even though I don't do it for a family regularly.

Thanks so much!

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: What to serve with beef stew?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
mashed potatoes or noodles are yummy with beef stew. and i would definitely serve it with a nice crisp salad - mixture of lettuce and interesting greens with a small amount of fruit (persimmon slices, mango etc) would be nice.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
I usually make cornbread to serve with stews.  Its good for sopping up the extra broth.  

For an appetizer, what about a warm dip?  Like a warm artichoke or cheese dip with crusty bread sliced thin?
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:20:53 AM »
I immediately thought of mashed potatoes or buttered wide egg noodles.  Your guests can put some in the bottom of their bowls and top with the stew.  Mmmmmmmmmmm, making me hungry.

faithlessone

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:50:45 AM »
My Mum always makes mashed potatoes with her beef stew. 'Tis totally yummy. :D

MaggieB

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »
These are all great ideas!

Warm spinach and artichoke dip sounds great for when people get there.  And I think incorporating a little fruit in a green salad is a great idea.  I can still keep it "wintery" by going with what's in season.

I'd never thought of serving stew over noodles or mashed potatoes.  That sounds really good.  If I go with mashed potatoes, would you still put potatoes in the stew?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
These are all great ideas!

Warm spinach and artichoke dip sounds great for when people get there.  And I think incorporating a little fruit in a green salad is a great idea.  I can still keep it "wintery" by going with what's in season.

I'd never thought of serving stew over noodles or mashed potatoes.  That sounds really good.  If I go with mashed potatoes, would you still put potatoes in the stew?
no. i don't know which stew recipe you're following, but i wouldn't do both. you can use carrots, celery, and maybe some root veg - celery root, parsnip, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:24:20 AM »
For a supper I'd do herby dumplings, riced (or mashed) potatoes (not creamed), green or white cabbage and carrots. Jacket potatoes might also work well, as might a mash that is half potato, half root vegetable or yam.

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:10:06 PM »
We like to have some fried plantains when we have stew.  Cut 1/2 inch slices on a diagonal & fry until golden on each side in some oil.  They are starchy and sweet so its a nice contrast to stew.

If you have never had a plantain they are like big starchy bananas but not good raw.  We get ours at local ethnic grocery stores.  (Indian/Pakistani/Hispanic in my neighborhood) 

Spoder

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
I always like something green with stew. Fresh green beans, lightly steamed. Yum.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
I love eating stew over noodles, but mashed potatoes is probably even better.  Eating stew over noodles has the problem of being quite messy (especially if you use long noodles).  Mashed potatoes would absorb more liquid, so it would be easier to eat with some amount of decorum. ;)

The only thing I'd be concerned with is having mashed potatoes and biscuits...but to be quite honest, stew tastes best with carbs. :)  You need something to sop up all that lovely broth!

I also think that warm spinach and artichoke dip will be great as an appetizer, and a salad either before or with the stew would probably be a good thing to serve.

POF

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
I vote for a winter salad - my favorite has mixed greens, pear ( carmelize in the oven ), chopped walnuts and blue cheese. Dress with a sweet / tangy dressing.

Maggie

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
A cheese and relish tray (with pickles and olives) sounds good to me with the stew.

MaggieB

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
These are all excellent ideas.  Thanks so much!

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 09:06:54 PM »
I was recently served a hearty soup with nothing more than crusty bread and thought it was fabulous and filling. I got the recipe and tried it out on some folks last weekend and it went over very well.  No one left hungry!  I love the simplicity of it.