Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 509943 times)

o_gal

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3255 on: Yesterday at 02:30:23 PM »
A minor lesson learned: we recently got into making homemade pizza, so we bought a pizza stone.  Pizza stones need to heat up in the oven, which is pre-heated to super-high heat.  So I made a lovely pizza by stretching the dough across the bottom of a regular aluminum pizza pan and topping it with all our favorites.  And then I went to transfer it onto the stone...

Yeah, I discovered while standing over the open door of a high temp oven that I don't know how to do that - I had put a little flour under the dough but not enough to create any kind of frictionless surface, so the soft stretchy dough wasn't going anywhere.  Couldn't use a spatula to encourage sliding off, as the dough wanted to stick to it or pull and knock toppings off, and we don't have one of those giant pizza paddles.

So, I had to yank the stone out and let the pizza bake on the backside of a pizza pan.  It actually worked out well, but that stone stays hot for like an hour.

2 suggestions: The cheaper one is to go buy parchment paper. Create the pizza on the paper and it will easily slide onto the stone, and still give you that stone-baked crust. More expensive option is to try the Super Peel - https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews/786-baking-peels

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3256 on: Yesterday at 03:12:47 PM »
A minor lesson learned: we recently got into making homemade pizza, so we bought a pizza stone.  Pizza stones need to heat up in the oven, which is pre-heated to super-high heat.  So I made a lovely pizza by stretching the dough across the bottom of a regular aluminum pizza pan and topping it with all our favorites.  And then I went to transfer it onto the stone...

Yeah, I discovered while standing over the open door of a high temp oven that I don't know how to do that - I had put a little flour under the dough but not enough to create any kind of frictionless surface, so the soft stretchy dough wasn't going anywhere.  Couldn't use a spatula to encourage sliding off, as the dough wanted to stick to it or pull and knock toppings off, and we don't have one of those giant pizza paddles.

So, I had to yank the stone out and let the pizza bake on the backside of a pizza pan.  It actually worked out well, but that stone stays hot for like an hour.

2 suggestions: The cheaper one is to go buy parchment paper. Create the pizza on the paper and it will easily slide onto the stone, and still give you that stone-baked crust. More expensive option is to try the Super Peel - https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews/786-baking-peels
or use cornemeal instead of flour- the grains are more coarse than flour and work better to keep dough from sticking.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #3257 on: Yesterday at 03:54:51 PM »

or use cornemeal instead of flour- the grains are more coarse than flour and work better to keep dough from sticking.

DH swears by cornmeal. I swear at it, at least when he uses two full cups to shuffle a particularly stubborn pizza into the oven and I have to clean it up.  :P

But yes, it does work.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

lilfox

« Reply #3258 on: Yesterday at 05:22:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips, you guys!  I don't think we have cornmeal but we definitely have parchment paper.  Never even thought of that, but tonight is the next pizza night so I'll give it a shot!   ;D

Tini

« Reply #3259 on: Today at 04:05:34 AM »
Thanks for the tips, you guys!  I don't think we have cornmeal but we definitely have parchment paper.  Never even thought of that, but tonight is the next pizza night so I'll give it a shot!   ;D

If you do try the cornmeal thing one day, make sure it's coarse (I use polenta). The grains are like little ball-bearings under the dough, they roll and everything slides really well. Also, the flavour and texture are very nice.