News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 05:02:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silliest argument you've ever had?  (Read 4526 times)

Cali.in.UK

Re: Silliest argument you've ever had?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
My sister and I used to argue about very silly things when we were little. We once got into a heated argument about who got to be "the pretty witch" from Hocus Pocus in a make believe game we were playing.

TootsNYC

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
I once had an argument with my then-housemate where we were talking about a movie... I don't remember the details, but essentially I said something about the plot, and he insisted I was wrong, then said almost exactly the same thing, just slightly rephrased. We ended up screaming at each other in a mall parking lot in the middle of the night, with our other housemate standing off to one side trying to pretend he wasn't associated with the weirdos.  ::) Half of what I was yelling was variations on "You're not listening to what I'm actually saying!"

Eventually he abruptly realised that I was in fact agreeing with him, and the argument stopped like flipping a switch. I still remember how utterly furious I was, and how determined that I was not going to capitulate and say he was right to end the argument, darn it, because I was right too!

Took my husband a (really) long time to realise that agreeing with me by saying "no", and then saying the same thing as I said, led to spousely unhappiness, and that if he instead agreed by saying "yes" and then basically parroting back my words there would be happier bunnies all round! ::)

I've come across enough bull-headed people who don't listen to a word, they just know I'm wrong [because they're always right], so immediately disagree with me whilst holding the exact same viewpoint.  My patience for that sort of nonsense has run thin.  If I didn't love the nitwit so much, I might have walked long ago. ;)

Oh, my--I was afraid it was only me.

Only, my husband isn't "agreeing with me by saying no"--he's **correcting** me (you can totally tell by the tone of voice), and then says exactly what I said, only in different words.

When I call him on it, he says, "I didn't quite hear what you said." And then I'm saying, "Why are you assuming, then, that what I said must have been wrong, by default? What can't you say, 'huh?' or 'what?' "

He says, "it's a habit," and I say, "Switch your habit to say, 'yes.' "

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
I once had an argument with my then-housemate where we were talking about a movie... I don't remember the details, but essentially I said something about the plot, and he insisted I was wrong, then said almost exactly the same thing, just slightly rephrased. We ended up screaming at each other in a mall parking lot in the middle of the night, with our other housemate standing off to one side trying to pretend he wasn't associated with the weirdos.  ::) Half of what I was yelling was variations on "You're not listening to what I'm actually saying!"

Eventually he abruptly realised that I was in fact agreeing with him, and the argument stopped like flipping a switch. I still remember how utterly furious I was, and how determined that I was not going to capitulate and say he was right to end the argument, darn it, because I was right too!

Took my husband a (really) long time to realise that agreeing with me by saying "no", and then saying the same thing as I said, led to spousely unhappiness, and that if he instead agreed by saying "yes" and then basically parroting back my words there would be happier bunnies all round! ::)

I've come across enough bull-headed people who don't listen to a word, they just know I'm wrong [because they're always right], so immediately disagree with me whilst holding the exact same viewpoint.  My patience for that sort of nonsense has run thin.  If I didn't love the nitwit so much, I might have walked long ago. ;)

I have eradicated most of the born arguers from my life, because I am no longer in the high school debating society; I like to have discussions with people open to other takes on an issue and who may even listen to the words.

*gasp* I thought that was a "special" thing that only MY husband did!

When my DH gets a bad case of the contraries, he will argue against me even when I am giving him compliments or affirming that he made the best choice in a situation. I tell him, "Don't fight me when I'm trying to make you right. What if I let you win?"

My best friends have a friend/tenant who has said, to my face, that he will often argue a side he doesn't actually agree with just to create conflict, because he enjoys it.

He wonders why I refuse to talk to him most of the time. ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

JadeGirl

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 09:18:42 PM »
My DH and I once had a heated row about circumcision of our male (human) children.

What made it silly?

1) we decided fairly early on in our relationship that we were not going to have children, biological or adopted
2) I had a hysterectomy two years before said argument

:o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

siamesecat2965

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
I have several. One, when I was maybe 5 or 6? We (my parents and I) were at a friendís house, who had a daughter about my age. I was not allowed to watch tv, well, any ďadultĒ shows, especially at night. But there, she was, so the tv is on, and the 6 Million Dollar Man came on. She insisted that Lee Majors, who played the main character, really did have all the bionic stuff inside of him, that it was real, and I kept telling her no, its not.

The next was with a BF in college. That was in the 1980ís when Imelda Marcos was getting heat for all her extravagance, including her hundreds of pairs of shoes. I had maybe 10, and my BF kept teasing me, and calling me ďAmeliaĒ Marcos, and nothing I could say would convince him that was not her name.

And finally, and I know Iíve posted about this before; a friend/neighbor. Who has some very interesting ideas and theories about everything. Most of which are incorrect. She was convinced that there is bran, not fiber, in fruits and veggies. I politely tried to tell her, no, while there is fiber in fruits and veggies, bran is a grain, and therefore not in those. She as not at all convinced.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 11:53:19 PM »
I have several. One, when I was maybe 5 or 6? We (my parents and I) were at a friendís house, who had a daughter about my age. I was not allowed to watch tv, well, any ďadultĒ shows, especially at night. But there, she was, so the tv is on, and the 6 Million Dollar Man came on. She insisted that Lee Majors, who played the main character, really did have all the bionic stuff inside of him, that it was real, and I kept telling her no, its not.

The next was with a BF in college. That was in the 1980ís when Imelda Marcos was getting heat for all her extravagance, including her hundreds of pairs of shoes. I had maybe 10, and my BF kept teasing me, and calling me ďAmeliaĒ Marcos, and nothing I could say would convince him that was not her name.

And finally, and I know Iíve posted about this before; a friend/neighbor. Who has some very interesting ideas and theories about everything. Most of which are incorrect. She was convinced that there is bran, not fiber, in fruits and veggies. I politely tried to tell her, no, while there is fiber in fruits and veggies, bran is a grain, and therefore not in those. She as not at all convinced.

There's a drink called orange juice, which is the juice of an orange, and there's a cereal called raisin bran, which therefore is obviously the bran from a raisin, and a raisin is a dried fruit, QED bran comes from fruits.

;D

parrot_girl

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 06:44:15 AM »
One with my DH, when he was my boyfriend, over whether computer languages were "real" languages or not. He was on the yes they are side, I was on the no they're not.
It ended when he started yelling "Syntax error! Syntax error!" at me and I couldn't talk for laughing.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2017, 03:14:26 PM »
One with my DH, when he was my boyfriend, over whether computer languages were "real" languages or not. He was on the yes they are side, I was on the no they're not.
It ended when he started yelling "Syntax error! Syntax error!" at me and I couldn't talk for laughing.

Does it allow for communication between two parties? Then it's a language. :D

vintagegal

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »
I just thought of another long standing argument with my late DH. He was convinced that at some point in the future, a process would be developed to allow people to "see" the original colors in a B&W film. That the info about the colors was somehow encoded in the film. I had studied photography and knew that B&W film is a matter of a silver particle reacting to light, didn't matter the color, just the intensity. Could never convince him of that.

jpcher

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
I just thought of another long standing argument with my late DH. He was convinced that at some point in the future, a process would be developed to allow people to "see" the original colors in a B&W film. That the info about the colors was somehow encoded in the film. I had studied photography and knew that B&W film is a matter of a silver particle reacting to light, didn't matter the color, just the intensity. Could never convince him of that.

but . . . but . . . but . . . they colorized old movies! Was that the kind of magic your DH was talking about? ;) ;D

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »
My DH and I had a fierce debate about which way the scrolls should face on our wedding invites. I wanted left and he wanted right. They looked nearly identical but we argued,  raised voices and all. And then it suddenly occurred to us that we were arguing about squiggles when you come down to it. We changed to a floral motif.

Still our biggest argument to date, so not too bad overall!  ;D

vintagegal

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 06:41:32 AM »

but . . . but . . . but . . . they colorized old movies! Was that the kind of magic your DH was talking about? ;) ;D

nope! He insisted the info about what the original colors were, was somehow encoded in the black and white film. I think he just liked to argue ;-)

Luci

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »

Is that magic is how Donna Reed ended up with green hair in the colorized Its a Wondeful Life? I haven't chosen a colorized movie since!

becktheriddler

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
Got into an argument with someone on the phone over the word "mensch". He said it was someone sneaky and not trustworthy, I said it was the opposite, a good person of high morals who does performs good acts for people. I insisted he Google the word, and he said "Yep, it says just what I said". I told him to read the definition out loud. He then admitted he hadn't looked at all, so I made him look it up and read it to me. Wow, I was correct all along.

Pretty much the beginning of the end of any interaction. Not the fact that he didn't know, but to lie about looking it up? Stupidity not to be tolerated.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

Twik

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
Got into an argument with someone on the phone over the word "mensch". He said it was someone sneaky and not trustworthy, I said it was the opposite, a good person of high morals who does performs good acts for people. I insisted he Google the word, and he said "Yep, it says just what I said". I told him to read the definition out loud. He then admitted he hadn't looked at all, so I made him look it up and read it to me. Wow, I was correct all along.

Pretty much the beginning of the end of any interaction. Not the fact that he didn't know, but to lie about looking it up? Stupidity not to be tolerated.

Oh, my. That's a case of confidence over knowledge.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."