News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 30, 2017, 06:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 841357 times)

pattycake

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3510 on: December 18, 2016, 12:08:26 AM »
Not me,  but this poor lady that made a mistake in the recipe.
And then served it to her coworkers for a taste test.
On live television.

It Burns!

Oh my goodness that was my local tv station! I heard about it on the radio. It was the traffic lady, who I have disliked for years and years! She used pickled artichokes instead of fresh, and didn't even seem to understand that yeah, the pickling would make it taste vinegary. And in an attempt to fix it, she added herbs and stuff... didn't work. The weather guy (young fella on the far left) talked about it on his weather segment on the radio when the morning host asked him about it.

catwhiskers

« Reply #3511 on: December 18, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
When you have cats that have access to a cat flap and you need to go to the bathroom in the night, don't do it without putting on the slippers you keep by your bed. Someone was so keen to give me an early Christmas present that the freshly slaughtered and still oozing rat corpse was on my bedroom floor instead of (as is usual) somewhere downstairs. Guess where I put my bare foot.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #3512 on: December 18, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »
When you have cats that have access to a cat flap and you need to go to the bathroom in the night, don't do it without putting on the slippers you keep by your bed. Someone was so keen to give me an early Christmas present that the freshly slaughtered and still oozing rat corpse was on my bedroom floor instead of (as is usual) somewhere downstairs. Guess where I put my bare foot.

I can't work out if it's better or worse to have this still warm, or already cold...  Ew!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

AliciaLynette

• fanfiction.net: OrnateDragon
« Reply #3513 on: December 19, 2016, 01:53:08 AM »

I can't work out if it's better or worse to have this still warm, or already cold...  Ew!

This was Dad, when I was much younger.  Put his feet out of bed at 6am or thereabouts to go downstairs and make coffee.  None of us needed coffee that morning, we were all woken by his yell - the cat had left half a mole, still warm, beside the bed.
We found the other half of the mole on the garden path 3 days later.
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

Chez Miriam

« Reply #3514 on: December 19, 2016, 04:00:22 AM »

This was Dad, when I was much younger.  Put his feet out of bed at 6am or thereabouts to go downstairs and make coffee.  None of us needed coffee that morning, we were all woken by his yell - the cat had left half a mole, still warm, beside the bed.
We found the other half of the mole on the garden path 3 days later.

Presumably the cat thought your dad only deserved half a mole? ;)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

KimberlyM

« Reply #3515 on: December 19, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
When I was a kid I kept a pair of snow boots outside the garage door to put on when I had to go out to get wood for the wood stove.  I slipped them on barefoot once to find one of our mousers had left a present inside one of them.  The only upside was that particular cat didn't present gifts without first draining them.  All we ever got was skin and bones, so at least it wasn't wet!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3516 on: December 19, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »
So glad my felines are lousy hunters.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3517 on: December 27, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »

Oh my, I would have peed myself!

dawbs

« Reply #3518 on: January 02, 2017, 09:56:22 PM »
When I was a kid I kept a pair of snow boots outside the garage door to put on when I had to go out to get wood for the wood stove.  I slipped them on barefoot once to find one of our mousers had left a present inside one of them.  The only upside was that particular cat didn't present gifts without first draining them.  All we ever got was skin and bones, so at least it wasn't wet!
I didn't need mine for a while one winter...
My barefoot toes found a whole nest of baby meeces.  I yelped, and waited a week or 2 (I probably should have put down the mice babies, but, I'm a softy) and then threw the boots out.
New boots.

snowfire

« Reply #3519 on: April 14, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »
Last night I was washing dishes and had a lot of knives to hand wash. (My wrath will fall upon anyone who puts the good knives in the dishwasher.) I dropped my 10 inch butcher knife, and remembering Vorbau's experience, managed to refrain from grabbing it and stepped back so it didn't hit my sock clad foot. I hope she would be proud of me.  ;D I love my Henkels knives, but I love my anatomy more.

The moral of my tale is: Don't try to prevent your good knife from hitting the floor. Even if it does, and is damaged or broken, it's a lot easier and cheaper to replace a $200 knife than to spend 8 hrs in the ER, get 53 stitches, face possible surgery, and be on wide loads of drugs.

I tell you, let the knives fall where they may. But move your foot first.

For the whole Vorbau vs. knife story:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=46190.960

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3520 on: April 15, 2017, 11:24:58 PM »
Last night I was washing dishes and had a lot of knives to hand wash. (My wrath will fall upon anyone who puts the good knives in the dishwasher.) I dropped my 10 inch butcher knife, and remembering Vorbau's experience, managed to refrain from grabbing it and stepped back so it didn't hit my sock clad foot. I hope she would be proud of me.  ;D I love my Henkels knives, but I love my anatomy more.

The moral of my tale is: Don't try to prevent your good knife from hitting the floor. Even if it does, and is damaged or broken, it's a lot easier and cheaper to replace a $200 knife than to spend 8 hrs in the ER, get 53 stitches, face possible surgery, and be on wide loads of drugs.

I tell you, let the knives fall where they may. But move your foot first.

For the whole Vorbau vs. knife story:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=46190.960

We never did find out what happened with her, did we? It saddens me when the good ones just vanish.