News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 03:59:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did I just Read?!  (Read 1079 times)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
What did I just Read?!
« on: April 25, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »
Share stories of what you thought you read V. what it really said.

Today I thought my calendar said it was "Attractive Professionals Day" 
and my first thought was that's not very nice

Anyone else? 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: What did I just Read?!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:26:58 AM »
I got an email this morning advertising a seminar about Google Analytics being held on the 8th and 9th of May.

I misread it (three times) as being a seminar about Google Analytics in the 19th Century.

No, I don't know how I managed that.

Yes, I did think it was a bit strange, which was why I read it three further times - getting the actual wording on the final run through.

(No, I'm not planning to attend!)

Luci

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »

Anyone else?

What day was it?

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »

Anyone else?

What day was it?
Administrative Professionals' Day 2018

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Aleko

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
I was listening to a classical music radio programme when I could have sworn that the presenter said that the next piece was a march written by Tchaikovsky in honour of the St Petersburg School of Jewish Prudence.

a clever screenname

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
Once my mother and I were visiting my brother in his college town, and that evening we were listening to the local news. One story they were reporting involved three people who had been arrested in a drug raid earlier that day, and I thought I heard the reporter end this story by announcing that all of those arrested were Buddhists.

Since I thought that a particularly odd detail to mention, I asked my mom what she had heard the reporter say, and she let me know that what was really said was that all those arrested were students.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »
I passed a sign in Chicago some years back that I could have sworn said "Reality Consultants". I thought, "great idea, for some folks".....It was a real estate group, "Realty Consultants". Oh, well.

Gladly

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 07:08:43 AM »
There is a petrol station near our home that sells hot and cold snacks.  They have a blackboard outside listing what's available on that day.  The last few days it appears to have been advertising "soup filled rolls".  Part of me wants to run inside shouting "commas!", while the other part of me is laughing at the picture in my head of someone trying to drive along eating a bread roll filled with soup!

lowspark

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »
They are building a new grocery store in my area on a plot of land which is really too small to fit both store and ample parking, so they are situating the grocery store on a second level with parking underneath the store at street level. I just read an update to the building progress and the headline read,
"Medieval H-E-B in Bellaire hits the market"

What? The picture doesn't look like it's a medieval theme design! Oh.. oops. It really said, 
"Multilevel H-E-B in Bellaire hits the market"

D'oh!
I have no idea why my mind interpreted that as Medieval!
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »
There is a petrol station near our home that sells hot and cold snacks.  They have a blackboard outside listing what's available on that day.  The last few days it appears to have been advertising "soup filled rolls".  Part of me wants to run inside shouting "commas!", while the other part of me is laughing at the picture in my head of someone trying to drive along eating a bread roll filled with soup!

I would assume they were soup-filled rolls, a la soup dumplings, which are indeed filled (modestly, not gushingly) with soup.

The mystery to me: Why would they advertise filled rolls without saying what the mystery filling is? Do you know it's not soup? Who would buy such a thing?

(I may have once had a bad experience with a beautiful, sweet-smelling roll surprisingly with cold chicken liver!)

Gladly

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »

I would assume they were soup-filled rolls, a la soup dumplings, which are indeed filled (modestly, not gushingly) with soup.

The mystery to me: Why would they advertise filled rolls without saying what the mystery filling is? Do you know it's not soup? Who would buy such a thing?

(I may have once had a bad experience with a beautiful, sweet-smelling roll surprisingly with cold chicken liver!)

Actually they serve cups of soup and rolls with a variety of different fillings, so the board should have read "Soup, Filled rolls, whatever the next item is...."