Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 207048 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1245 on: June 28, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
Normal night at home, nothing special, nothing I can think that would trigger this...

I was sitting on the couch, watching TV, and Six was standing about 3 feet to my right when she said, "Can we get a baby, please?"

I grinned and decided I would let DF answer this...little does Six know, but we've been TTC.  I said, "Honey, Six has a question" to call him into the living room from the kitchen.

She repeated the question, and trying not to laugh, he asked, "Where would we get one?"

Six stepped over, rubbed my belly longingly, and looked up at her dad.  "From Magpie's belly."

I made sure not to laugh when she was around; I didn't want her to think we were making fun of her.  It was just too precious.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

pwv

« Reply #1246 on: July 01, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
I visited my niece and her family this past weekend.  At one point her 5yo was told to clean her room.  5yo turned to me and said:  pwv, if you help me clean my room, I'll give you a sticker.   I declined.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1247 on: July 01, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Emily: "Mommy, can we make cookies?"
Me: "We're out of butter, sweetie, we need to wait until we can get more before we can make cookies."
Emily: "I know! We can get a cow, and I can churn the butter for you!"

I think that having chickens and raising rabbits for meat has confused her into thinking that we live on a real working farm.  :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1248 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »
^^^  I'm impressed that she knows where butter comes from.  I'm guessing most kids her age have no idea that butter is in any way connected to cows!   :)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1249 on: July 01, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
^^^  I'm impressed that she knows where butter comes from.  I'm guessing most kids her age have no idea that butter is in any way connected to cows!   :)

She's read all the "Grandma's Attic" books (excellent books if you don't know them) and the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, so I'm guessing she knows from those.  But we do definitely make sure that the kids know where their food comes from.  We have a large garden and have prepared chickens for eating, the kids watching in fascination (several neighbors as well), so they all now have a good idea where their food comes from.  :)  She's even made ice cream herself!

parrot_girl

« Reply #1250 on: July 02, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »
A report from Toddler Budgie's care-

There was a sand spill, indoors, and several of the other toddlers raced to get dustpans and brushes and brooms and made themselves very busy cleaning up. My Budgie took himself over to the bean bags, settled down comfortably and then started calling out suggestions; "You missed a bit! Dere's some over dere!"

I do believe a career in management awaits him. ;)

mmswm

« Reply #1251 on: July 05, 2014, 01:30:27 AM »
My newest "job title" according to my middle son...

Head of State.

Apparently my little family of four is a sovereign nation.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1252 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »

Head of State.

In our family, The Sweetie is Minister of Finance, and I'm Minster of Health and Secretary of Public Relations.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

pwv

« Reply #1253 on: July 07, 2014, 05:44:01 PM »
A friend told me she walked into her kitchen recently and found her 2yo eating a doughnut, with the box of doughnuts spilled on the floor and being eaten by the dogs.

friend: <sarcastic>  Thanks a lot DD!
DD:  <smiling>  You're welcome.

blueyzca01

« Reply #1254 on: July 07, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
I just remembered my favorite one.

When my neighbor’s 6 year old son was horribly angry at her because he was in trouble for whatever-it-was, he thought and thought about the worst possible way to insult her.  It was really rather funny, because you could see him standing there in the front yard desperately trying to come up with the ultimate jab.  What does he finally come up with?

“Mom, you’re a bad cook!!”
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

mmswm

« Reply #1255 on: July 07, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »

Head of State.

In our family, The Sweetie is Minister of Finance, and I'm Minster of Health and Secretary of Public Relations.

Well, I'm also the CEO and President of The Bank of Mom, Police officer, Lawyer, Chief Justice of The Supreme Court of Mom, among many others. This was just the latest.  My middle child is an interesting character.  ;D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1256 on: July 07, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »
Today, my 3-year-old said, "Mom, look, it's a Thanksgiving moon!"
Me: "A what?"
Charlotte: "A Thanksgiving moon!"
Me: "What's a Thanksgiving moon?"
Her: "You know, when it's shaped like this <shows with hands> and is more than half!"
Me: "Oh!  A gibbous moon!"
Her: "That's what I said, a Thanksgiving moon."

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1257 on: July 09, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
My little 4 yo nephew was over at my place today. Once he saw the spiffy new pajama shorts that my kiddos have, he wanted some of his own. I said sure, pick out some fabric and I'll make some. I was thinking that I would make them in spare time and have them ready for the next time he came over. Well, he looked up at me with his cute little puppy dog eyes and asked, "where are my jammies?" Five minutes later, I was sitting at my sewing  table cutting  his pants out.

As I was putting the finishing touches on, his mom told him to make sure he says thank you, and to give me a big hug. He looked up at her and said, "She's not done yet." with the funniest look on his face. Like, of course he would wait to see the finished product before being too effusive with his thanks/praise  :P
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1258 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
Me: Oh DS. You are a good, clever little boy!
DS: Thank you Mummy!! Mummy is fantastic.

:D

DS: I do like strawberry, Mummy.  It taste like strawberry!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1259 on: July 11, 2014, 07:46:28 AM »
My friend's daughter, age 4, quite precocious:

Girl: "I love you, Mommy."
Mother: "I love you, too, Sweetie."
Girl: "You're my second-favorite parent!"