Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 220448 times)

kajunchick

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
Yesterday we stopped by my grandparents' home (they both passed away in 2009) so my oldest DD could pick some berries. As I was waiting in the car, I started crying. My 5YO DD asked me what was wrong, and I said, "My heart is broken." She said, "I'm gonna pray for you." She placed her hand over my heart, and said:

"Thank you God, for this food, and Mommy's heart."

:D It was too sweet. Of course, I started laughing, so it did make me feel a lot better.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
Aww!!! That's so sweet!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Moonie

« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
When my daughter was about 2, we were working on potty training and she had gotten some "big girl" panties.  She was overjoyed with them as well as the new ability to pull them down and up on a whim.  We were watching tv and she kept pulling them down...then up....then down...etc.  I told her several times to stop, but to no avail.  As she did it again, I told her to stop or I'd swat her on her bare butt.  She turned to me, and as seriously as she could said, "I not a bear". 

My nephew's son was riding in the car with him....he was around 2....and my nephew spotted a police officer in hiding waiting for speeders.  "Sneaky cop" said my nephew.  "Yeah, stinky cop!" said his son :)

yankeefan2017

« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
I drive in the car pool lane with both DD's in the back seat. The way my car is you couldn't really see them in the back seat (although now you can)

I would always get state troopers pull out behind me during rush hour because they thought I was traveling alone. So I started having the kids raise their arms when I saw one. One day YDD (Who was about 4 at the time asked me why I had them do that. So I explained it to her and thought no more of it.

We don't really do it anymore unless it's just YDD in the car because she is still to small to see.

Fast forward to walking through the mall a few months ago. There is a police officer standing in front of a store we are walking into. My now 6 year old yells "it's the police, hands in the air" she then stops and puts both hands in the air while staring at the cop.

I turned bright red and he just laughed as I tried to explain that I am not a criminal.  :-\

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
yankeefan, that had me laughing.  Thanks!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2011, 02:57:58 PM »
Starting when my daughter Peanut was about a year old, if she'd start to cry if I said no, I'd sing the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" to her.  Sometimes I just sing it to emphasize that I really mean no.

The other day, we were playing with her Duplo (she'll turn 3 in less than three months).  She was directing me how to build something, and she told me to put a flower on top.  I did, and then I found another flower and put it on top, too.

Peanut was none too pleased.  She looked at my creation and said, "No, mommy!  Not two flowers!"  Then she pulled off the second flower, tossed it aside, and started singing "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

I laughed so hard I almost cried.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
Starting when my daughter Peanut was about a year old, if she'd start to cry if I said no, I'd sing the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" to her.  Sometimes I just sing it to emphasize that I really mean no.

The other day, we were playing with her Duplo (she'll turn 3 in less than three months).  She was directing me how to build something, and she told me to put a flower on top.  I did, and then I found another flower and put it on top, too.

Peanut was none too pleased.  She looked at my creation and said, "No, mommy!  Not two flowers!"  Then she pulled off the second flower, tossed it aside, and started singing "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

I laughed so hard I almost cried.

Oh I love that! I think we'd get along very well, because I do that too with my boys, sing "You Can't Always Get What You Want" when they whine about wanting things they've been told "No" about many times. 

I had to laugh when one was whining and the other one said "Remember the song, Eddie! You can't always get what you want!" and hummed it. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:56 AM »
My Dad would always sing "Take it Easy" when my brother got wound up. He just wound up getting mad at Dad.  :P
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »
That's really cute!  I can just see her getting increasingly frustrated.  "You taught me these signs, Mommy, and then you don't even notice that I'm making them?  What good are they?"

Several years ago, not quiet speaking Loren was obviously getting frustrated with Sis and making the same motion with her hands over and over again.

Sis took a video and sent it to me. When I was in HS a friend tried to teach her disabled brother sign. He didn't understand, but friend and I got pretty good with basic sign. Sure enough it looked like the sign for more.

Sis talked to the school it turned out one of the teachers had a family member who used sign to communicate, and had been using sign with the kids not really thinking about it. The school ended up giving the parents a pamphlet that showed the signs, reducing the frustration of the children.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

aka

« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »

Mom, is that you??

Nora

« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »

Mom, is that you??

If that's the criterion, I might be your mother as well!  ;)

Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2011, 08:49:30 PM »
     At Easter this afternoon, cousins 5yo boy and I were coloring buddies :-D Meanwhile, my BF proceeded to sit in the rocker and fake snore, pretending to sleep.  I say:  Oh look! BF fell asleep!  5yo whispers w all seriousness: Lets be quiet so we dont wake him up!  I say:  Well thats very considerate!  5yo:  Yeah, lets consider it.  :-)
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »
     Also from this afternoon, 5yo loves BFs Yogi bear impression :) BF told him he could be Boo Boo. 5yo says to me:  Hey, do I sound like Boo Boo? (says a Boo Boo phrase).  I say, yeah, a little bit.  5yo says with a touch of sadness:  Oh.... Wouldnt it be great if I sounded A LOT like him?  My heart breaking, I say:  Hmm.. Say (Boo Boo phrase) again... So he did and I assured him he sounded JUST like Boo Boo, much to his delight (and visible relief). lol... Love that kid!
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Pinky830

« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
DD left this note for DH once when she was 5: "Dear Dad you anoy me. Love, E."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
I was watching Titanic on Easter, a movie DH will clear the room for but the boys like to watch it because they're interested in the ship and what happened to it.  Mind you I usually kick them out of the room for the portrait scene and the car scene but the other day they were at a friend's during those parts so it wasn't an issue.

But they did come back home just about the time I usually start tearing up, right before the band starts to play "Nearer My God To Thee" which usually gets me bawling, especially when they show the mother telling her little ones about Tir na Nog and the elderly couple holding each other on the bed.  

Pirate Boy 2 sits on the couch and starts asking questions "Why isn't the Captain getting into the boat? He's the Captain!" I explain Captains are expected to go down with a sinking ship.  "Ohhhh...but isn't he scared? I would be scared!"  I say "Well honey everyone on that ship is scared cause they weren't expecting this to happen and there aren't enough lifeboats for everyone on board."    

Then we see the Irish mother and two little ones.  "Why aren't they trying to get to the boats? Don't they want to live?" (he's 8 ) I explain gently that they have given up on getting into a boat because again, there aren't enough and from the looks of their bunks, they were in steerage, many people in steerage did not survive, so the mother accepted that they likely wouldn't make it.  Then "What's she telling them?"  So I explain that Tir na nog is the land of eternal youth and beauty or in other words heaven, and she's telling her children about it so they won't be scared.

He got choked up and moved over to sit next to me, putting his arm around me and his head on my shoulder and says "Ohhh that's so SAD!" I ask if he wants a tissue too and he said  firmly "I'm NOT CRYING, Mom!! I'm just really sad for those poor people!" *sniffle*

It's not easy to properly experience a tearjerker when your kid's being so darn cute.  :)

ETA: And I do think that this boy will turn out to be quite the romantic, because as we watched the very last scene of the movie, he was saying "Awwwwww! They're back together again and everyone is happy for them!"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:53:53 AM by Piratelvr1121 »