Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 220815 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
My brother used to say sgabetti instead of spaghetti, and callapitter. So when I'm talking about caterpillars and butterflies, I have to stop and think about the correct pronunciation.

His son, who is now around 20 months, calls both parents "Mama." Despite my brother's and my mom's best efforts, Bro is still Mama, just like SIL.

My niece had some hearing issues when she was little and as such her speech is still adjusting. Her K's come out like T's, so when she says "Kitty Cat" I have to make sure to keep a straight face.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
My daughter called all adult female caretakers "Mama" for a while.  At the church nursery, they were all "Mama."  My husband goes by "Papa," but she hears other kids call their fathers "Daddy," and so she's been playing around with that now.

4x4filly

« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2011, 12:21:53 AM »
My adorable nephew, when he was around 2 years old (he's 11 now) came running up to me very excited to show me his toy truck one day.  His big, yellow dump truck.  He was so excited, he kept yelling as loud as he could 'dump truck!  dump truck!' 

Which one wouldn't think would be so hysterical...

And it wouldn't have been, if he had pronounced the 'p' in 'dump', and if at that point in his life, 'tr' was prounounced 'f'

Why yes, we were in a crowded park....*sigh*

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »
The sun here is a LOT more direct (or feels it, at least), so I just put sunscreen on the kids in the morning as part of our routine, on the off chance that we spend more than ten seconds outside.  So my daughters are becoming familiar with it for the first time (in their memories).  My daughter's name for sunscreen?  "Sun scream."

I do not correct her.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Pinky830

« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2011, 02:07:45 AM »
The sun here is a LOT more direct (or feels it, at least), so I just put sunscreen on the kids in the morning as part of our routine, on the off chance that we spend more than ten seconds outside.  So my daughters are becoming familiar with it for the first time (in their memories).  My daughter's name for sunscreen?  "Sun scream."

I do not correct her.

My son in very ticklish, and my daughter is insanely so. They both used to call it "sunscream." There was plenty of screaming when they put it on.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
Today was Babybartfast's first day of school  :'( :'( :'(  (Starting her preschool with the summer session.)  I'm being kind of silly about it, so as I was getting her up this morning I was explaining again about how she'd go to school today and I gave her a big hug.

Me: "You're getting so BIG!"
BB: "I not big.  I little.  *long thoughtful pause.*  I can't reach very far yet."

lilfox

« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
We had some friends visiting a few weeks ago, with a daughter age 7 and son age 5.  The four adults and two kids were playing a word game, and the little boy asked his mom what "chubby" meant.  She said, it's when you're a little overweight but not really fat.  He immediately turned to me and said "Hi, chubby!"

I'm a size 4.  His mom is a size 0.  All I could think was "Um, relatively?"  <sigh>

Wavicle

« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »
Fiance and I was spending the night at his mom, Gloria's, house. Gloria is a bit hairy. She lives with a family with several kids, and their youngest girl tends to glomb onto me as soon as I walk in the door. When I went to brush my teeth at night, she followed me into the bathroom and watched me brush since I am apparently just that interesting.

Right after I finished, the little girl said enthusiastically "Are you going to shave now? Gloria always shaves now!"

I got to enjoy that one twice when I finally remembered to tell Gloria about it months later  >:D She got a kick out of it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »

I do not correct her.

My son in very ticklish, and my daughter is insanely so. They both used to call it "sunscream." There was plenty of screaming when they put it on.
Somewhat off-topic, but I've been getting that sunblock that comes with a tube of a sort of wax sunblock, almost like a chapstick or gluestick, that you rub on their faces.  So it started with my telling them that I was putting on their zebra stripes (because I would stroke it back and forth across foreheads, cheeks, etc.).  Then ToddlerPenguin didn't want to be a zebra, so she was a giraffe (I put it on by rubbing it in circles like a giraffe's spots).  Then she wanted to be a lion, so I rubbed it outwards like a mane, and across her nose and cheeks like whiskers.  It's amazing the difference it has made in getting the stuff on, choosing an animal and letting them pretend I was making them into that animal, in terms of them accepting it.

This isn't a *super* funny thing, but ToddlerPenguin has picked up from somewhere the habit of putting a hand on each of BabyPenguin's cheeks and saying, "Chubby cheeks!"  She loves it so much that she does it to everybody.  To LittlePenguin, to toys, to me.  :)  The other day, she was chortling and putting both hands on each part of my face.  On the ears: "Chubby ears!"  On the nose: "Chubby nose!"  I'm sure she has no idea what chubby means.  I should probably train her out of it before she insults somebody, but it's so charming.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
New one today!  Babybartfast is in preschool now, and today they played with clay in their art class.  I went to pick her up and saw all the kids' creations - mostly snakes, worms, and other simply-shaped animals - sitting neatly on little pieces of paper with their name on them.  And then I saw Babybartfast's, which was a bunch of yellow lumps on her paper.

Me: "Oh, wow, is this one yours?  Tell me about it!"

Babybartfast: "It's mustard!"

Yes, my child modeled mustard in school today.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
That's cute!   ;D

She thinks outside the box.  Sounds very creative to me! 

And, by the way, you should be proud that she didn't just mimic what "the others" were doing.  It's good to see a girl who thinks for herself! 

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
I'm constantly grumbling about people who don't pick up after their dogs at our apartment complex. They have little stations with bags and special garbage cans just about every ten feet. You have to be extraordinarily lazy not to pick up after your dog around here. And almost everywhere in our complex, the grass is just about perfectly clear of dog poop. Except around the back of ours; we're at one end, and the grass behind our apartment seems to go unnoticed because of its positioning. So people feel free to let their dogs just poo freely back there. It's fantastic. And yes, I do have a right to be mad about this because I've had dogs almost my whole life, and have always picked up after them when I've taken them out for walks.

So every time we go outside, and I see a new deposit, I start grumbling about it, but I never realized how much until my two-year-old looked out the window at breakfast yesterday, saw some people walking their dog, and said, "Oh my gosh. Seriously, people. Seriously." She even nailed the note of disgust I normally have in my voice. I think I'll have to dial it back, or she's just going to think I hate dogs, period.

New one today!  Babybartfast is in preschool now, and today they played with clay in their art class.  I went to pick her up and saw all the kids' creations - mostly snakes, worms, and other simply-shaped animals - sitting neatly on little pieces of paper with their name on them.  And then I saw Babybartfast's, which was a bunch of yellow lumps on her paper.

Me: "Oh, wow, is this one yours?  Tell me about it!"

Babybartfast: "It's mustard!"

Yes, my child modeled mustard in school today.

I actually laughed out loud at this one. That's awesome.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
I'll tell on myself:

When I was in kindergarten, I was a big crybaby. One time, a sub teacher told me I shouldn't cry, because it would mess up my pretty green eyes. I made the most injured pose I could and said, "They're NOT green! They're HAH - ZEL! (mispronounced hazel)" I still get told that story 15 years later.  ::)

Then, when I was watching Ben - Hur, and we were at the point when SPOILERS Judah, Esther, Miriam and Tirzah all realize Jesus has been taken to Pilate. I cried out when I saw that: "Aw, dang! They MISSED him!"
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mbenedict

« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »
My 3 year old daughter said it to Bishop Zubik: "I like your hat, it makes you look like a king."

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2011, 12:02:23 AM »
Does it count if they write it?

I found a packing list that 9 year old must have been making to help Daddy. It included "photo disk" except she replaced the S in disk with a C.  That would be a really interesting way to store photos.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.