Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 187415 times)

Bluenomi

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #375 on: March 05, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
My SIL is a speech language pathologist.  She has had many a parent come in with their child and say:  If nothing else, please teach my child how to say TRUCK!

My cousin had this problem so she taught her daughter to call them lorries :)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:17 PM »
I always thought it was funny when my little brother was a toddler and would say "Thinger and fumb".  It wasn't a matter of not being able to say "th" or "f", he'd just get them mixed up.

My 10 and 9 year old STILL say "Emeny" for "Enemy".

I love it! That's so cute. My brother used to say 'callapitter' instead of 'caterpillar' and I still have to think about how to say that right sometimes. 'Sgabetti' for 'spaghetti' was also popular.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »
My SIL is a speech language pathologist.  She has had many a parent come in with their child and say:  If nothing else, please teach my child how to say TRUCK!

My cousin had this problem so she taught her daughter to call them lorries :)

Good idea!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #378 on: March 09, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »
Emily was chattering at me in the car the other day.  "Papa calls us kiddos.  I think that's like spaghettios.  <ponder>  Maybe that's why he likes to eat us so much."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
Babybartfast was trying to explain to us yesterday that she wasn't REALLY hungry, but one corner of her stomach was empty so she was a LITTLE hungry.  I told her stomachs don't have corners, and she assured me that her stomach was a square so it had corners.  Then she told me "But you're a grown-up, so your stomach is bigger.  It's an octagon."

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »
lol, that's hilarious, Slartibartfast!  I used to insist that my belly button was a little hole, just big enough for some ice cream or something.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
LOL!  When we're eating, my kids will declare themselves stuffed after eating just a tiny bit of dinner.  Oh, and hey, they're ready for dessert whenever.

We don't make them eat everything on their plates but they must eat enough to satisfy my desire for them to actually receive nutrition.  So I'll say, "Well, if you're so full to eat more than one bite of anything, you're too full for dessert.  Why don't you go have a lie down and maybe, after you've had a little more dinner, you can have dessert later.

ODD likes to say, "But mom, I have a tiny bit of room right here for ice cream." and she points to her tummy.

I try SO HARD to curb my language around the kids and I do a fine job with the Really Bad Ones.  However, I need to watch the "Words You Don't Want Your 4-Year Old Tossing About."  I was driving YDD to preschool this morning when she dropped her cup of cereal on the floor.  She said, oh so casually,

"Aw, d--n it!"

I almost drove off the road but less from shock and more from trying not to laugh out loud.  We need to have a chat about words only grownups use.

And speaking of such, I got a little worried when ODD started talking about the "C word" and how bad it is.  Now, there's only one "C word" I know and I never, ever use it.  So I was a little concerned about how a 1st grader might have come into contact with it.  So I tentatively asked her what the "C word" was.  She whispered "Cooties." 

;D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
I got a little worried when ODD started talking about the "C word" and how bad it is.  Now, there's only one "C word" I know and I never, ever use it.  So I was a little concerned about how a 1st grader might have come into contact with it.  So I tentatively asked her what the "C word" was.  She whispered "Cooties." 

;D

Aren't you glad you didn't start a discussion with her about the "c" word you had in mind?  How awkward THAT might have become!   ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »
I stubbed my toe yesterday and inadvertently taught Babybartfast some new words.  One of them might have been "schadenfreude."  (She repeated it to DH later - not close enough for him to recognize it, but I knew where she got "shafride!" from . . .)

DynoMite

« Reply #384 on: March 11, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
Haven't finished the thread yet, but [bg] DynoBoy2 has a squeaky little chipmunk type voice that is so cute. [/bg]

Yesterday he was rolling all over the microfiber couch, and when he stood up his hair was very staticky, and he looked at me in surprise and said "I've got couch in my hair!"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:48:47 PM by DynoMite »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #385 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:03 PM »
I stubbed my toe yesterday and inadvertently taught Babybartfast some new words.  One of them might have been "schadenfreude."  (She repeated it to DH later - not close enough for him to recognize it, but I knew where she got "shafride!" from . . .)

Hey Slartibartfast, I looked up the word and all i could get on it from a definition is "a malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others". I am guessing this is not what you meant and there is some other meaning. Am I correct?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #386 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »

Hey Slartibartfast, I looked up the word and all i could get on it from a definition is "a malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others". I am guessing this is not what you meant and there is some other meaning. Am I correct?

Avenue Q has the best explanation of it, but that's more or less right - happiness at the misfortune of others.  I stubbed my toe and was jumping around and grumping, and she laughed at me, so I stared singing the Avenue Q song  :P  It's a really useful word!

ETA: I should mention that the song has a few not-approved-for-eHell words in it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:48:16 PM by Slartibartfast »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #387 on: March 11, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »

Avenue Q has the best explanation of it, but that's more or less right - happiness at the misfortune of others.  I stubbed my toe and was jumping around and grumping, and she laughed at me, so I stared singing the Avenue Q song  :P  It's a really useful word!

Heh. Now i am going to be singing that song.

Jules1980

« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2012, 04:56:23 AM »
BabyJ told me today that she knew how to tie shoes.  She said, "I saw it on the Dish-Knee channel.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Not something he said, but today the Piratebabe had his 4 month shots which he handled like a pro with minimal crying.  We came home, he got a bottle, took a short nap and when he woke up he was all grins.

And then he stuck two tiny li'l index fingers in the corner of his mouth, and with a merry li'l twinkle in his eyes, stuck his tongue out at me between those two fingers.   I howled with laughter. 

Guess that's what I get, huh? This one's going to be a handful, I'm afraid!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata