Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 201348 times)

Ponytail_Palm

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »
I heard this story from BF's mom.

BF's first word was "clock." Excited to be able to recognize and name something, he'd point at clocks but also meters, gauges - anything remotely clock-like - and shout "CLOCK!" Except that he couldn't pronounce the "l" yet. His mom got an awful lot of dirty looks...

Oddly enough, my youngest sister's first word was also "clock." I'm pretty sure that's quite an unusual first word... Both of them are very scientific, inventor-type people. ;D

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »

BF's first word was "clock." Excited to be able to recognize and name something, he'd point at clocks but also meters, gauges - anything remotely clock-like - and shout "CLOCK!" Except that he couldn't pronounce the "l" yet. His mom got an awful lot of dirty looks...

Oddly enough, my youngest sister's first word was also "clock." I'm pretty sure that's quite an unusual first word... Both of them are very scientific, inventor-type people. ;D

Are you dating my little brother?  He's in the Air Force, stationed in Albuqueque, NM... His first word was Clock!!!!  I think that's amazing... I hope you two are very happy together  :D  He's a great guy  ;D
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Serendipity0723

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 09:01:23 AM »
I don't generally post here, but I have to add that my 2.5 year old son's first word was also "clock," and he had the same pronunciation issues!  He also liked to run around in public shouting it!

MizB

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 09:18:13 AM »
[B/G] It wasn't my first word, but it was one of my favorite things as a child. [B/G]

When I was little, for a few months (at most a year) I had a problem saying the letters TR together. Instead of a cute TW sound they came out as the letter F. I have no idea why.

However, during this period I also thought my dad's truck was the greatest vehicle ever and would shout about how we rode somewhere in the truck or we came in the truck or something to that effect.

I am sure you see where this is going. Yeah at like two years old I was screaming that word in the grocery store, much to my obliviousness lol.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:38 AM »
LOL, I can't believe how many kids said "clock" as their first word! It wasn't my DD's very first word (that was "cat," which she used to refer to pretty much everything in addition to actual cats), but it was one of them. (Yes, same pronunciation issue.) Maybe something about the hard consonants makes it easy for them to understand/say.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
[B/G] It wasn't my first word, but it was one of my favorite things as a child. [B/G]

When I was little, for a few months (at most a year) I had a problem saying the letters TR together. Instead of a cute TW sound they came out as the letter F. I have no idea why.

My nephew had the same issue with the word "frog," which I didn't know until we were playing animal sounds and I asked him what a frog says. My sister said to me, "Oh no, do not get him started on frogs!" I asked why, and she replied, "J, what do you know about frogs?" and he replied, in his innocent little voice, "F***?"

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »
On funny first words...my eldest DD's first words were "eat" and "chokate". I guess she takes after her Mom.  ;D
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »
I remember once reading a story about a Mom whose little 2-year-old boy heard the f-word when her husband hurt himself or something.  So she's at the grocery store or something, and he, testing out his new word, exclaims loudly, "F***!"  Cue stares by the other customers.  Mom, thinking fast, says loudly to the little boy, "No, sweetie, it's *truck*.  Can you say truck?"

The fish tank thing reminded me of something last night.  I took the girls with me to LittlePenguin's dance class.  As we were leaving, they just had to stop at the fish tank and look happily at the fish in the aquarium.  So you know, this is a regular aquarium, maybe 40 gallons or so, with a wide variety of small-ish freshwater fish.

LittlePenguin looks eagerly through the fish.  "Mommy, are there any sharks?"

Me, laughing: "No, no sharks."

She looks disappointed, then presses up against the glass so that she can look into the little pretend wrecked ship (like the one in Little Mermaid where a shark appears).  "I think I see one in here!"

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »
     Just a quick note about "Clock" as my little brother's first word - we have (and always have had) a big ornate carved German clock on the wall that plays a long musical chime every hour... actually, it plays a small piece of the chime at quarter after, and adds a piece every 15 minutes until it progresses to the total long muscial chime on the hour.  Sounds like it could be annoying, but we were so used to it, and it was kinda nice, except you'd have to pause your conversation when it started up, haha...  But anyway, I think that was probably why his first word was "Clock"... it had such a presence in our home, it was like one of the family, haha
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
When I first learned to talk, I couldn't say "s" alone.  It always came out "sh."

My mother remembers vividly the time I was very tired in the mall and started yelling at her that I wanted to sit down.

Ponytail_Palm

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »

Are you dating my little brother?  He's in the Air Force, stationed in Albuqueque, NM... His first word was Clock!!!!  I think that's amazing... I hope you two are very happy together  :D  He's a great guy  ;D

LOL, I'm afraid not - BF is an engineering student in Canada! :) I can't believe how many babies said "clock" as their first word, I never would have guessed!

My first word was "kitty." Ever-so-slightly disappointed, my mother made sure the next baby's first word was "mama." >:D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »
When I first learned to talk, I couldn't say "s" alone.  It always came out "sh."

My mother remembers vividly the time I was very tired in the mall and started yelling at her that I wanted to sit down.

The online multiplayer game "World of Warcraft" had an issue with this - when your character drinks alcohol in the game, your screen goes fuzzy and anything you type goes through a filter which adds *hic* in the middle of your sentences and chances any "s" to an "sh."

They had to fix an issue where players could get drunk and threaten to sit on people, and get past the profanity filter :P

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »

However, during this period I also thought my dad's truck was the greatest vehicle ever and would shout about how we rode somewhere in the truck or we came in the truck or something to that effect.

I am sure you see where this is going. Yeah at like two years old I was screaming that word in the grocery store, much to my obliviousness lol.

My SIL is a speech language pathologist.  She has had more than one parent tell her, 'If nothing else, please teach my child to say truck properly.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »

The online multiplayer game "World of Warcraft" had an issue with this - when your character drinks alcohol in the game, your screen goes fuzzy and anything you type goes through a filter which adds *hic* in the middle of your sentences and chances any "s" to an "sh."

They had to fix an issue where players could get drunk and threaten to sit on people, and get past the profanity filter :P

I play WoW.  I very rarely get my character drunk because the screen effect makes me dizzy (even if you turn off the blur, though that's better), but every time I do I end up having to explain something technical, passionately argue a point of gameplay, or perform officer duties (mild discipline, answering questions, etc) in guild chat.  It's hard to sound official and smart when every second sentence comes out like, "Make shure you're shtanding behind the ranged to get the mosht benefit from Light of Dawn ...hic!"

lilfox

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
     Just a quick note about "Clock" as my little brother's first word - we have (and always have had) a big ornate carved German clock on the wall that plays a long musical chime every hour... actually, it plays a small piece of the chime at quarter after, and adds a piece every 15 minutes until it progresses to the total long muscial chime on the hour.  Sounds like it could be annoying, but we were so used to it, and it was kinda nice, except you'd have to pause your conversation when it started up, haha...  But anyway, I think that was probably why his first word was "Clock"... it had such a presence in our home, it was like one of the family, haha

We did too, with the addition of the little birdie that pops out to chirp the hour.  And it hung right over my playpen.  Thus, one of my first words was "Cuckoo"!