Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 221799 times)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
It's hard to sound official and smart when every second sentence comes out like, "Make shure you're shtanding behind the ranged to get the mosht benefit from Light of Dawn ...hic!"

WoW: Sean Connery Edition? ;D

Lashley

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »
The same child from my answering machine story had major trouble with the hard "k" sound, and replaced it with "t"- so my sister, Kara, became "Tara." but it was super embarrassing when I took him to a pet store and started yelling "I want to hold those kitties!" except yeah...he stuck a "t" on the word instead...I hightailed it out of there!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
I had the problem with saying 'truck' too.  The 'tr' combination always came out as an 'f'.  I was also a vocal child who enjoyed saying what I could.  It was very embarrassing for my mother when we were riding a town bus.

I also remember another thing that may be a bit touching.

I was about 7 years old and playing with paper dolls (does anyone remember those?) at the house of a friend from school.  Her younger sibling was all over us.  He was very annoying and finally, she gave him a light slap.

The boy put out the kind of eyes that you see from Puss-in-Boots in the Shreck films and asked, "Why you so mean to me?  I'm the only little brother you got?" 

Micah

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2011, 06:13:19 AM »
The kid and I were having a shower this evening. As I was getting out I accidentally kicked him and scratched his leg with my toenail. He dropped to the floor in a very dramatic fashion, wailing, "Mine leg, mine leg!" I bent down and rubbed it gently, but he yanked it away saying, "Stop it! You just making it worse! Me not very happy!" I moved back a bit and said I was sorry for making it worse. He sighed and shook his head, muttering, "Bloody oath." under his breath. Then he patted me on the leg and said, "That's okay, Mum."  ::)
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Not really a funny phrase, but when my sister was 2 or 3 she didn't quite have a grasp on verbs.  Our favorite was when my brother and I would be teasing her and she'd put her little hands on her hips, stomp her foot and say "NO! I IMN'T DAT!"   ;D  I'm not sure how Imn't would be spelt, but it was pronouced with the "im" as in "him" and then "innt."  I was so sad when she stopped saying imn't, though it would be much less cute from a 17 year old lol.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »
When geordicat jr was about 2 1/2, maybe 3, we were at grandma's house visiting.  He managed to pull grandma's yellow dishwashing gloves off the sink.   He put them on his feet, then looked at his feet.  He looked at us and were were all trying not to laugh, then he looked back at his feet and said "I'm a chicken.  BOCK BOCK BOCK!" and walked around the house.

My son, he'd just turned 11 going on 5 I think, at the chiropractor's office.  He was not a chicken though.  I'm not sure I ever figured it out, but he was certainly pleased with himself.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
We went through a head-scratching phase with the eldest DD's, trying to figure out what "clug-lug" was.

We finally realized it wasn't some random twin-speak but rather a toddler version of "catalog".

The "Please don't repeat that!" phase was during bathtime, when the girls would yell out something that sounded extremely rude.
Eventually we realized that no, it wasn't them telling someone off (which I don't think they'd ever heard) but a distorted version of "face-cloth", with the first word garbled and the "th" in cloth sounding like an "f".

We corrected their pronounciation of that word pronto!  :o :o

MizB

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
When my niece was younger shed couldn't say hospital correctly. It was the cutest thing I had ever heard and I laughed when I first heard her say it much to her displeasure. Here she was a worried three year old and I was laughing because she called hospital "hostible"

I was so sad the day I found out she could say it properly.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
I heard this story from BF's mom.

BF's first word was "clock." Excited to be able to recognize and name something, he'd point at clocks but also meters, gauges - anything remotely clock-like - and shout "CLOCK!" Except that he couldn't pronounce the "l" yet. His mom got an awful lot of dirty looks...

Oddly enough, my youngest sister's first word was also "clock." I'm pretty sure that's quite an unusual first word... Both of them are very scientific, inventor-type people. ;D

Are you dating my little brother?  He's in the Air Force, stationed in Albuqueque, NM... His first word was Clock!!!!  I think that's amazing... I hope you two are very happy together  :D  He's a great guy  ;D

LOL, I'm afraid not - BF is an engineering student in Canada! :) I can't believe how many babies said "clock" as their first word, I never would have guessed!

My first word was "kitty." Ever-so-slightly disappointed, my mother made sure the next baby's first word was "mama." >:D

My first word was 'ruff ruff.' There was a dog in the mobile home next to ours and I would stand at the back door barking at it, apparently. I'm still weird.

My friend's kid (he's 4) had one today. I was over at her house and she invited my dog, too, since my husband is working this evening. We pulled a pillow into the kitchen and he laid there next to my friend for a while.

Her son came in and demonstrated how he could cross his fingers, index and middle, and ring finger and pinky. So we did it too, and then he asked Mudkips if he could do it, too. Sorry sweetie but puppy paws can't do that.

Then he said, "Love you Mudkip. Want to go watch a movie with me?"

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
I heard this story from BF's mom.

BF's first word was "clock." Excited to be able to recognize and name something, he'd point at clocks but also meters, gauges - anything remotely clock-like - and shout "CLOCK!" Except that he couldn't pronounce the "l" yet. His mom got an awful lot of dirty looks...

Oddly enough, my youngest sister's first word was also "clock." I'm pretty sure that's quite an unusual first word... Both of them are very scientific, inventor-type people. ;D

Are you dating my little brother?  He's in the Air Force, stationed in Albuqueque, NM... His first word was Clock!!!!  I think that's amazing... I hope you two are very happy together  :D  He's a great guy  ;D

LOL, I'm afraid not - BF is an engineering student in Canada! :) I can't believe how many babies said "clock" as their first word, I never would have guessed!

My first word was "kitty." Ever-so-slightly disappointed, my mother made sure the next baby's first word was "mama." >:D

My first word was 'ruff ruff.' There was a dog in the mobile home next to ours and I would stand at the back door barking at it, apparently. I'm still weird.

My friend's kid (he's 4) had one today. I was over at her house and she invited my dog, too, since my husband is working this evening. We pulled a pillow into the kitchen and he laid there next to my friend for a while.

Her son came in and demonstrated how he could cross his fingers, index and middle, and ring finger and pinky. So we did it too, and then he asked Mudkips if he could do it, too. Sorry sweetie but puppy paws can't do that.

Then he said, "Love you Mudkip. Want to go watch a movie with me?"

You ever watch the show Raising Hope? There was an episode where she was barking on there LOL.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »
Oh.  First words.  My first daughter dutifully made "mama" one of her first words.  I don't think it was her very first word, but it was close.

Second daughter:  No words until 11.5 months.  Then, out of nowhere, while being carried around by her father, "Jump!"  The next word?  "Poop."  Then "cheese," "dis?" (this), and now, we think, "Grace."  That's her sister's name.

I think "mama" and "daddy" may come shortly after "chopped liver."  If we're lucky.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
When my niece was younger shed couldn't say hospital correctly. It was the cutest thing I had ever heard and I laughed when I first heard her say it much to her displeasure. Here she was a worried three year old and I was laughing because she called hospital "hostible"

I was so sad the day I found out she could say it properly.

For my little sister it was "Basketti" (Spaghetti) and "Ploce-mate" (Placemat).

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
Up until DD#2 was about 10, she called potholders 'hotpolders'. Because they were those things that you use to remove hot things from the oven!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
My friend and her son were over here again today, and we had our own unique Valentine's dinner since my husband was working.

While we were eating, we all started saying "happy valentine's day."

Me: Happy Valentine's Day, Matty!
Matty: You're welcome!

Lashley

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »
When my sister was around 3-4 she loved tacos, but wanted a soft tortilla with meat only which she called it a "squeezer," I guess because of the way she could hold it. It was maddening for babysitters - my grandmother called my mom freaking out because sis was screaming "I WANT A SQUEEZER!" and she had no idea what she was talking about!