Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 199366 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #450 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:49 AM »
We were all in the car today when a collection of American folk songs came on the radio, including "On Top of Old Smokey."  DH and I were discussing how the only words for it we knew were the "On Top of Spaghetti!" version when Babybartfast1 piped up from the backseat:

BBF1: We sing that song!
Me: In school?
BBF1: Yeah!
Me: Which words do you sing?
BBF1: All of them!

(For the record, she's still in preschool so I highly doubt she actually knows the song!)

Teehee!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
My littler niece is in a phase where she tends to tell whoppers. She just seems to be unwilling to admit she doesn't know something, and her lies can get hilariously blatant.

We saw them the other day, and I put some youtube videos of women's gymnastics on for her and her sister. One of the videos was of the pan-Asian games, so the writing was all in Chinese. Bear in mind the extent of Chinese that these girls know is limited to the TV show Kai Lan and the menus at the buffet downtown.

BigNiece: "What does that say?"
Me: "I don't know. It's written in Chinese."
BN: "LittleNiece speaks Chinese!"
LittleNiece: "Yep!"
Me: "Oh really now?"
BN: "LittleNiece, what does it say? Tell me what it says!"
LN: "Ummm...Ummm..." She turns to me. "POKE! Hahahahaha! I poked you! Look BigNiece, I poked her."
Me: "Why did you do that?"
LN: "Ummm...ummm....I don't like this video. Let's watch that one!"

I couldn't help but laugh. At least she knows how to bean-dip.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #452 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »
A friend of mine's daughter just turned 7 and was dismayed to discover that Mom and Dad don't get the summer off, like she does.  So she wrote a note to my friend's boss:

Dear Boss:

Please give Mommy 9 weeks of vacation so she can spend time with her kid.  Say yes or no.  Thank you.  [kid's name]

Friend gave the note to her boss; he's considering it.   ;)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lilfox

« Reply #453 on: July 05, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
We took DD (2.5 yrs) to see our town's fireworks show last night.  We had found great seats in this nearby park, not too crowded, perfect view.  We were also close enough that the fireworks were very loud.

Two minutes into the show, DD is covering her eyes and saying she doesn't like fireworks.  She didn't get upset, she just covered her eyes and refused to look at them.  So, we got out of there and drove home.  On the way home, I started telling her that she was pretty brave to not get upset even if she was feeling scared.  She said the fireworks were bad, and angry, and eventually we figured out she thought the fireworks were mad at her because they were so loud.  Poor kid, I found myself saying that the fireworks aren't mad, they just don't know any better than to be loud.

Nika

« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
We were all in the car today when a collection of American folk songs came on the radio, including "On Top of Old Smokey."  DH and I were discussing how the only words for it we knew were the "On Top of Spaghetti!" version when Babybartfast1 piped up from the backseat:

(For the record, she's still in preschool so I highly doubt she actually knows the song!)

You mean... On Top of Spaghetti isn't the correct and only version...?  :o

:-[
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #455 on: July 05, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

On top of Old Smokey,
All covered with snow,
I lost my true lover,
From a'courting too slow,
For courting's a pleasure
But partings are grief,
And a false - hearted lover
Is worse than a thief.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Nika

« Reply #456 on: July 05, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »

On top of Old Smokey,
All covered with snow,
I lost my true lover,
From a'courting too slow,
For courting's a pleasure
But partings are grief,
And a false - hearted lover
Is worse than a thief.

Pfft. Bo-ooring~!  ;)
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

blueyzca01

« Reply #457 on: July 05, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
BG:  Niece has always grasped the concept of families and relatives and understood familial relationships.  For instance, my nephew was 8 before he realized that his mother’s mother and MY mother are the same person.  He never seemed to grasp that before.  But niece has always understood this stuff.  Niece is the daughter of my youngest sister.  /BG

When Niece was about 5 she sat me down at her kitchen table, looked deep into my eyes and said, “You look a lot like your little sister.  And I look a lot like my little sister.” 

(at this point I’m expecting some huge announcement of sisterhood or something equally impressive.)

The she continued:  “But I really don’t like your earrings.”
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:18:29 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

turtleIScream

« Reply #458 on: July 05, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
My son will be three in October. His verbal skills are exploding, but he still often just repeats words and phrases with little to no comprehension.

Yesterday, I was snuggling him, and leaned in to cup his face with my hands. He copied me, looked up and said in the sweetest voice, "Aww, sweet pups. You are just the best dog."

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #459 on: July 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »
BG:  Niece has always grasped the concept of families and relatives and understood familial relationships.  For instance, my nephew was 8 before he realized that his mother’s mother and MY mother are the same person.  He never seemed to grasp that before.  But niece has always understood this stuff.  Niece is the daughter of my youngest sister.  /BG

When Niece was about 5 she sat me down at her kitchen table, looked deep into my eyes and said, “You look a lot like your little sister.  And I look a lot like my little sister.” 

(at this point I’m expecting some huge announcement of sisterhood or something equally impressive.)

The she continued:  “But I really don’t like your earrings.”

<snort>

Sounds like she was trying to butter you up to soften the blow. She has a fine career in management ahead of her. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #460 on: July 05, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
When my son was beginning to talk, he had trouble pronouncing his consonants and he often restricted himself to very short phrases because of the effort it took to talk. I actually didn't realize he could think in full sentences until one time when he was in my lap when I was at the computer and I wiped his nose. The trash can was behind me and I asked him to throw the tissue away. He dunked it over my shoulder and I thanked him. Very earnestly, he asked with perfect vowels and tone, "I' a 'oo' 'oy, are' I?" I understood perfectly what he had asked -- "I'm a good boy, aren't I?" It did make me laugh that he'd communicated perfectly without the use of consonants. Unfortunately he misunderstood why I was laughing and never did it again.

Bluenomi

« Reply #461 on: July 05, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
DD loves asking you what your favourite colour is. Last night she asked the cat who answered with a meow. DD declared her favourite colour was green. Apparently DD can speak cat.

The other day I was really sick, snotty nosed, ashen faced, the works. DD took my face in her hands and told me I was gorgeous  :-* Then she asked me for chocolate.  ::) I think she was just buttering me up!

Cutenoob

« Reply #462 on: July 06, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »
DS and I were at the playground today, it was FULL. Sunny day and all that. I overheard a kid call out to another in the sandbox: "Did you want a Chicken McCoffee? " I had to chuckle.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #463 on: July 06, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
My daughter turns 4 today.  Yesterday she told her teacher, "I can't believe it!  Today is the last day that I'll be 3!"

Editeer

« Reply #464 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »

Yesterday, I was snuggling him, and leaned in to cup his face with my hands. He copied me, looked up and said in the sweetest voice, "Aww, sweet pups. You are just the best dog."

<laughing till the tears come>