Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 216537 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #570 on: December 21, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
This is going to be a little complicated, because my daughter "Jenny's" name is not really Jenny.  So trust me when I said that I like to call her, "Jenny-hopper," it makes a lot more sense (sound-wise) with the diminutive of her actual name.  So, for some reason, when Jenny was a baby, I started calling her "Jenny-hopper."  This led to "Jenny-hoppy" and sometimes "Hopper" or "Hoppy."  So she seriously goes by "Hopper" or "Hoppy" half the time, and it's really cute.

The other day, we were driving back home from somewhere, and she started talking in a serious tone.  "Mommy, now that I am 4, I think I don't want to be Hoppy anymore."

Me: "Oh, yeah?  So you want us to call you Jenny from now on?"

<thoughtful silence>  "No.  I want you to call me "Hop.""

Ah, those little Hoppies.  They grow up so fast.
Mine was "Roo" for about a year.  "Jenny" = Jen = Jenneroo = Roo.   

I know a Jonathan who is not Johnny, but Jona, his own choice since he was about 5.  He will correct you most vehemently if you call him Johnny.   (Odd circumstances there.  Dad wanted him named John to honor his late father, Mom had a nasty breakup with a previous fiance named John, so that was the last thing she wanted to name her son.  Jonathan was their compromise.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #571 on: December 21, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Jenny wanted Emily to play doctor with her. "Doctor, my skin and bones all fell off and my brains fell out, too!"  Emily immediately rushed into action, bandaging Jenny's leg and setting her up on a wheelchair (ride-on toy).  After a while, though, Emily got bored of being the doctor and wanted to be the patient, so she tried to remove Jenny's bandage. 

Jenny: "No, you can't take that off! I have no skin! Or bones! Or brains!"   
Emily: "All right, sweetheart, I'll go get you some new skin."   
Jenny called after her, "And brains!"

Cutenoob

« Reply #572 on: December 22, 2012, 03:56:19 AM »
My little guy was in a toy store and playing with the train setup. So, doot de doot, he's having a good time. I hear him yelp, and see him on his butt on the floor. He looked at me and said, "Mommy, fell on [bad word for butt]". He just looked at me calmly. I almost busted up laughing.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #573 on: December 23, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
YDS was Boogerman or Boogie or sometimes just Boogs, he acquired this nickname because he was h*ll on wheels, and that was more politically correct than other options. Anyway, I called him Boogerman one day, and he corrected me

"Mom, I'm Boogs."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #574 on: December 23, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »
When I addressed one of my grandsons as "Boychild" he said "Grandma, <other grandson> is Boychild.  *I* am Boychild...um...Thingamabobber Guy!"
into books first.

btperson

« Reply #575 on: December 26, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
On the way to school one morning, my kindergarten son was telling me that his teacher was back at school after being out sick.  I commented casually, Oh, I wonder what was wrong.  He said, I don't know but I think she is allergic to metal.   That piqued my curiosity!  So I asked why he thought she was allergic to metal.   He said, because she has to use a round cushion on chairs now.  I was actually kind of proud of his "reasoning". LOL

One son felt sorry for his infant brother because he had no teeth to eat food with.   He said, "I know what we can do!  When my baby teeth come out, I can give them to him to eat with, because I'll be growing new ones!" 

And the oldest son, when about 8 years old, while we were cooking in the kitchen, I said, Where is that cheese grater?.....   Son said,  probably somewhere in the Greater Houston Area.

(background:  We lived in Houston, which is a big city made of many smaller cities and the telephone book was titled The Greater Houston Area.)

crella

« Reply #576 on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »
Too funny! I especially love the offer of tooth donation!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #577 on: December 26, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »
Too funny! I especially love the offer of tooth donation!
Yeah. :) Especially when you consider that this is a kid giving up the possibility of tooth fairy money!
into books first.

crella

« Reply #578 on: December 26, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
Right! I hadn't thought of that angle. What a sweetheart.

Shopaholic

« Reply #579 on: December 27, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
My 6-year-old nephew recently told me that he doesn't believe in the tooth fairy because "it's not possible because of the numbers".

crella

« Reply #580 on: December 27, 2012, 01:21:30 AM »
LOL!

turtleIScream

« Reply #581 on: December 27, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »
My sister and her husband bought a Blu-Ray player as a family Christmas gift. The kids got some movies on Blu-Ray. My 4 y/o nephew was very excited about watching his new movie (one he's seen before). When it was done, he turned to his mom with a disappointed voice, "but that was exactly like the DVD!"
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #582 on: December 30, 2012, 01:33:12 AM »
Had a hard time explaining to Babybartfast (4 1/2) what the cable jack in the wall was for today.  I tried to explain about how you hook the wire to the TV and the TV company sends your shows through the wire, and I thought she got it, but her next question was "How do they know which show you want to watch?"

*sigh* We've only ever had Netflix since before she was born, so she's never known a world where you couldn't call up any show you wanted at any time you wanted.  She got mad at YouTube because it inserted a commercial before a clip we wanted to watch - she had no idea what a commercial was, or why we couldn't just skip past it like we do on a DVD.

I feel old now.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #583 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »
It's so strange to think how different our children's TV-watching experience is/will be, isn't it?  We don't have Netflix or TiVo, but we mostly watch things on DVD only (which means that the only commercials are usually just for other movies/TV shows).  So on Thanksgiving, when we were visiting my in-laws and they turned on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, my husband had to explain to the kids what commercials were.  They all then had a great time trying to figure out what that ad was selling and how it was trying to convince you to buy it (it will solve all your problems, everybody else has one, an authority figure says they're great, etc.).

Jones

« Reply #584 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
Haha...speaking of Netflix, I have the kids watching an assortment of favorites this morning while their dad sleeps in (he had a late night playing cards at his grandmother's house with various relatives). A few minutes ago my daughter came to me and asked if I could "please send in some appetizers before breakfast." All I could do to not laugh at that...