Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 162713 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #735 on: April 15, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
Not so much something one of my children said, just something the oldest child did that made me and middle pirate laugh.

We live about 3 blocks from the city park, which is a really nice park and is absolutely filled with people on nice days.  There are two playgrounds, a man-made lake with tons of water fowl and large koi. 

Well last week when it was especially warm here, the three of us went up there and on the way home we were walking between the two playgrounds and these two girls who appeared to be pre-teens, 11 or 12, walked past us.  My eldest, as he was walking, started to turn so as to watch them walk past, then looked at myself and his brother laughing at him.

"What?" he asked and blushed when we told him, as apparently he didn't realize he wasn't exactly subtle about it.  ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #736 on: April 15, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Not so much something one of my children said, just something the oldest child did that made me and middle pirate laugh.

We live about 3 blocks from the city park, which is a really nice park and is absolutely filled with people on nice days.  There are two playgrounds, a man-made lake with tons of water fowl and large koi. 

Well last week when it was especially warm here, the three of us went up there and on the way home we were walking between the two playgrounds and these two girls who appeared to be pre-teens, 11 or 12, walked past us.  My eldest, as he was walking, started to turn so as to watch them walk past, then looked at myself and his brother laughing at him.

"What?" he asked and blushed when we told him, as apparently he didn't realize he wasn't exactly subtle about it.  ;)

My little brother just had one of those moments a few weeks ago.  We'd gone to the doughnut shop after church and the adults were having coffee while the kids had their doughnuts and milk.  We were chatting about random stuff and in walks this group of teenage girls dressed like they were headed to the beach.  Little bro just sat there, jaw open, doughnut crumbs falling out of his mouth and stared at the girls as they walked by.  All the adults in the group busted out laughing.  Poor little brother.  He was so embarrassed and tried to pull of the "girls are icky" act.  It didn't work.  Little brother just turned 10 in December, btw.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #737 on: April 15, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
That's hilarious.  My boys have never even tried to pull of the "girls are yucky" act and I don't think they ever actually felt that way.   From the time they were able to notice a pretty female face, they were turning on the charm. 

They also both had "girlfriends" in preschool.  My oldest actually has a girlfriend now, his second official one.  Middle pirate likes girls but is quite shy and socially awkward so has a hard time with appropriately letting his feelings be known. 

Youngest seems to be the same way.  I had him in Target earlier today and there was a young 20 something woman behind us in the checkout and he was leaning over in the cart to see past me to her and gave her a big dimpled grin.  He also does this thing where he cups his chin in his hands, grins, and bats his big blue eyes. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #738 on: April 17, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
I always get such a kick out of watching toddlers pretend to talk on the phone, as it's just funny to see them imitate how the adults around them talk on the phone. 

Piratebabe will hold things up to his ear or side of his head and walk around, his free hand waving as he babbles, or he'll lean against things as he talks, shake his head and laugh or say "Ahhhhh" like he suddenly understands what the "other person" has said.

mmswm

« Reply #739 on: April 17, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »
I was looking through pictures of the Boston Marathon earlier today. I was specifically looking at the pictures from earlier in the day.  There were a few pictures of the wheelchair racers.  Youngest DS looked at them and got all wide-eyed and said "You mean I can run a marathon one day?  I need to start training now!"  My heart just melted.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #740 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
I was looking through pictures of the Boston Marathon earlier today. I was specifically looking at the pictures from earlier in the day.  There were a few pictures of the wheelchair racers.  Youngest DS looked at them and got all wide-eyed and said "You mean I can run a marathon one day?  I need to start training now!"  My heart just melted.

Awww, now mine's all gooey too! :) Absolutely mmswm's son, go for it! :D

mmswm

« Reply #741 on: April 17, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »

Well, mommy needs to figure out where to get money for a different chair.  His current one was purchased used and isn't in the greatest of shapes.  I'm pretty sure I'll figure out how to get  a chair that's more suitable for racing. There are a couple places that might stock a chair that's suitable for every day use but would stand up to the demands of racing.  Tax refunds are coming....

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #742 on: April 17, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »

Well, mommy needs to figure out where to get money for a different chair.  His current one was purchased used and isn't in the greatest of shapes.  I'm pretty sure I'll figure out how to get  a chair that's more suitable for racing. There are a couple places that might stock a chair that's suitable for every day use but would stand up to the demands of racing.  Tax refunds are coming....

Go for it!  He can even learn to play basketball, among other sports!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

crella

« Reply #743 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:17 PM »
I always get such a kick out of watching toddlers pretend to talk on the phone, as it's just funny to see them imitate how the adults around them talk on the phone. 

Piratebabe will hold things up to his ear or side of his head and walk around, his free hand waving as he babbles, or he'll lean against things as he talks, shake his head and laugh or say "Ahhhhh" like he suddenly understands what the "other person" has said.

That's so cute (especially the hand waving!). My kids don't have a land line, but they do have what looks like a slimline phone on their wall with a monitor that they use to answer when someone punches in their condo number on the keypad in the lobby. When my granddaughter comes to our house, she runs right to our phone and starts to play with it, answering the door. 'Papa okaeri' (welcome home Papa) 'Mama okaeri' . What cracks me up is when she 'answers' someone making a delivery 'Hai.....hai....sou ne....hai, hai,' (Yes...yes...I see....yes...yes...).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #744 on: April 17, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
Heehee! How old is she?

My MIL gets such a kick out of watching Piratebabe's mannerisms.  Because our older two were born and lived in California until the youngest was 18 months, she didn't get to see them much when they were as young as this one is. 

She cracked up to see the way he gestures because apparently he makes the same gestures as DH did as a toddler. 

And oh, another thing that cracked me up recently.  I had music on, playing one of my Pandora channels and then I catch the babe doing a Moonwalk, or the closest thing a 17 month old can do as he was walking backwards and bobbing his head.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:22:10 PM by Piratelvr1121 »

mmswm

« Reply #745 on: April 17, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »
Oh, my goodness, baby moonwalk had to be hysterical!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #746 on: April 17, 2013, 07:36:07 PM »
The funniest thing is I have no idea where he picked it up! He's never seen a Michael Jackson video, we don't typically do the dance around the house and he doesn't go to daycare. 

I have got to get it on video.

mmswm

« Reply #747 on: April 17, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »
If you do, I'd love to see a link to youtube!  You'd probably have a viral video on your hands!

(And now I'm internet shopping for sport chairs.  I think I need guidance from the physical therapist on what kind of chair would be best for him.  I thought I had it all figured out.  I was wrong.  I didn't realize there were so many options!)

crella

« Reply #748 on: April 17, 2013, 11:44:17 PM »
Heehee! How old is she?

My MIL gets such a kick out of watching Piratebabe's mannerisms.  Because our older two were born and lived in California until the youngest was 18 months, she didn't get to see them much when they were as young as this one is. 

She cracked up to see the way he gestures because apparently he makes the same gestures as DH did as a toddler. 

And oh, another thing that cracked me up recently.  I had music on, playing one of my Pandora channels and then I catch the babe doing a Moonwalk, or the closest thing a 17 month old can do as he was walking backwards and bobbing his head.

She was 18 months when she was here at Christmas time playing with the phone. I took video, it was so funny. That, and her dancing around to Mambo #5. Little ones are so much fun, aren't they?  I hope you get video of the moonwalk one day!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #749 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:23 PM »
Emily, age 6: "Mommy, I was reading this book about ancient China, and now I know how to make silk! Can we make silk some day? I could see if we have the right supplies in our craft kit."

Me: "Uh... I guess we can see."

Emily: "Okay, first, we need silk worms."

Jenny brought in a flower from outside. She said, "I gave my baby flower a drink, then I put it in the sunshine!" Then she said to the flower, "I'm sorry you lost your hands."

Charlotte, age 2: "Mommy! Mommy Mommy Mommy Mommy!"

Me: "Yes, Charlotte?"

Charlotte: "What?"