Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 194470 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #765 on: April 22, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »
My friend shared this one with me earlier this evening.  She works in retail and as her place of employment doesn't require uniforms and are fine with business casual, my friend was wearing a long black skirt with brightly colored sequins and her hair in a bun.  My friend is also 57 and considers herself to be plain. 

This little girl, about three, walks in with her father, spots my friend and squeals "DADDY!!! A PRINCESS!!!!" My friend says "Thank you, do you like princesses?" The child just was so awed by my friends skirt she couldn't speak and then the child's father drew her away for a bit and my friend went up to the front of the store.  The girl spotted her again, ran to her and threw her arms around my friend's legs, hugging her with all her might and said "Oh princess, I want to be just like you! DADDY!! I want to be a princess like her!!" 

The girl's dad was embarrassed, but my friend said to the little girl "You would make a beautiful princess, and I'd be proud to give you princess points too!"   The dad picked up his little girl and thanked my friend for being a good sport, and as they left the child points to my friend saying "Daddy, I want to be a princess just like her!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

reflection5

« Reply #766 on: April 22, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »
When I was about 6 - 7 yrs old, I wanted to be a ballerina so bad I almost couldn’t stand it.  (I never even took dance lessons, but wanted to.  We couldn’t afford it so I practiced on my own and in the mirror.)

One day I was playing with a jar and somehow got my entire hand stuck in the jar.  People tried and could not get it out.  There was also a danger of badly cutting my hand.  I cried REALLY hard and said “ :'( Now I can’t be a ballerina!!  :'(”  (After all, who would want to watch a ballerina dance with her hand stuck in a jar?)

Eventually, a neighbor down the street got my hand unstuck and life went on.  But, the ballerina dream never happened.  And my family teased me for years about the jar incident.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:12:13 AM by reflection5 »

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #767 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »
My DS is very close to my sister and brother in law. About age 8, he started calling them Uncle Amy and Aunt Mark. It has stuck.  ;)
We had a pair of relatives we did that to, too - Aunt Junior and Uncle Jean! Outgrew it at about 8, when Junior got touchy about it, but it was done by all of the kids in the family.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #768 on: April 23, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »
my friend said to the little girl "You would make a beautiful princess, and I'd be proud to give you princess points too!"   The dad picked up his little girl and thanked my friend for being a good sport, and as they left the child points to my friend saying "Daddy, I want to be a princess just like her!"

Now THAT is just cute, sweet, and 100% unfiltered adorable!

turtleIScream

« Reply #769 on: April 23, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
On my sister's Facebook this morning:

As we were heading to school this morning, we saw some of the wild turkeys that reside our neighborhood. They had their plumage fanned out and were so cool. Amy (6) piped up, "Wow! Those look really good to shoot and eat." And then Clint (4) chimed in, "Yeah, the animal turkeys walk around with the food turkeys."

exitzero

« Reply #770 on: April 23, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
My friend's brother called her 5 year old "Little Girl" one day, which prompted a hands-on-hips, complete diva response of, "I am NOT a little girl, I am a FULL GROWN KID!"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #771 on: April 23, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
That reminds me of calling my 2-year-old, the other day, "Pretty."  She said, "I not pretty, I CUTE!"  Oops.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #772 on: April 23, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
my friend said to the little girl "You would make a beautiful princess, and I'd be proud to give you princess points too!"   The dad picked up his little girl and thanked my friend for being a good sport, and as they left the child points to my friend saying "Daddy, I want to be a princess just like her!"

Now THAT is just cute, sweet, and 100% unfiltered adorable!

I agree and when I told the story to DH he about died he was laughing so hard.  The funniest thing about the princess story is that my friend is decidedly NOT the princess type.  She delights in all things witchy.  It tickled her that I had the theme of the Wicked Witch of the West set as her ringtone for a while (now it's Ron's Howler) and the sound of a cackling witch for when she texts me.   

So that this little girl dubbed her a princess and she went along with it tickles me to death.

The corrections of kids reminds me of something one of my aunts was telling me.  She went with her sister and their kids to the beach and when talking to the youngest of the 3 said "Look, it's a bird!" while pointing to the seagull.   My cousin was maybe 2 or 3, looked at aunt and said "Seagull."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

DaisyG

« Reply #773 on: April 23, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
That reminds me of calling my 2-year-old, the other day, "Pretty."  She said, "I not pretty, I CUTE!"  Oops.  :)

That's like when DH was playing with his niece who was 4 at the time. He asked her if she was pretty. She said "no, mummy hasn't done my hair yet".

Melle

« Reply #774 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
When I was a wee little Melle - about 5 or 6 years old - my mom often greeted other people with "Hi, how are the kids?".
So there was a moment of stunned silence, followed by a lot of laughter, when we visited friends of hers - a childless couple by choice - and I used just that line to greet them.
Incidentally, nobody ever told me why I was being laughed at and I felt very very uncomfortable :/

exitzero

« Reply #775 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
When I was a wee little Melle - about 5 or 6 years old - my mom often greeted other people with "Hi, how are the kids?".
So there was a moment of stunned silence, followed by a lot of laughter, when we visited friends of hers - a childless couple by choice - and I used just that line to greet them.
Incidentally, nobody ever told me why I was being laughed at and I felt very very uncomfortable :/

I remember hearing a story about an African tribe...can't remember which one...where the greeting for everyone is "How are the children?" even if the person you are meeting doesn't have children. It's meant to convey the importance of ALL children to the tribe. Asking how the children are is asking about the general well being of the entire tribe.

Snooks

« Reply #776 on: April 23, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
I was at a museum exhibition about The Titanic and ahead of me were three kids and two adults.  I think the kids might have been cousins because they were all very excited and chatting and getting louder and dashing between exhibits.  One of the adults said to one of the kids "Inside voice please" and she very solemnly turned to one of the other children and said "Of course The Titanic was a dreadful thing".

It made me smile because of the thought process of "Oh no, I'm in trouble, how can I minimise this?  I know act interested in where we are".

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #777 on: April 23, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
When I'm cooking, the rule is that kids stay out of the kitchen unless they've been invited to help. Of course this rule is largely ignored, so I spend a lot of time shooing them away.  ::)

Apparently I do this a bit too much. I just heard my 2yo DD scolding her baby doll. DD had been playing with a bowl and spoon, mixing and serving food, when she turned to Baby and started waving the spoon yelling "You! Out my kitchen" in her most threatening, high pitched little girl voice. I just about fell over laughing.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #778 on: April 23, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
Okay, as mentioned I have 3 boys.  One about to turn 12 on Saturday, one 10.5, the youngest approaching 18m.  Now I can't even tell you how many times I've told the cabin boys to put stuff away they don't want the powder monkey getting into. 

So this morning after they went off to school, powder monkey had his breakfast while I vacuum the living room, let him get down and play.  I hear the sound of paper shaking and "Ohhhhhhh..." like he's just seen something amazing, like the Grand Canyon, a very soft reverent sound.  Then the sound of paper shaking again. I look over and Cabin Boy1's social studies papers are ALL OVER the floor.  They were all graded and nothing damaged, but the look on the Powder Monkey's face was hilarious as he stood there with the red folder in his hand, blue eyes wide and lips pursed while he pointed to this 9th wonder of the world (to him) and says "Whoa!"

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #779 on: April 23, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »
My son's answer on a worksheet for Social Studies: "Martin Luther King came from a long line of pastures".