Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 186210 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #990 on: November 22, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
My best friend shares a name with female detective from a long running books series.  My youngest calls her Nana Nanie and MIL once said "Well he'll be able to pronounce the C soon enough."  Well sure he will but I hope he still keeps calling her Nanie. It's cute. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

stkatie00

« Reply #991 on: November 22, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
My twins turn two on the 26th, and are finally starting to really take off on talking (they're in speech therapy), which is great, because I finally have some gems to post! :) Their toothbrushes have Elmo on them, and the first time they saw them, they went "Elbo! Elbo!" So, Elmo is now Elbo in our house.

Also, my son's favorite word is "cookie." He says it incredibly clearly, and while it usually mean he does want a cookie, it sometimes mean bagel. So, it'll go like this:
Son: Cookie! Cookie! (Points to refrigerator, which isn't where we have any cookies)
Me: Do you want a bagel?
Son: (nods head) Ba-el (or something that approximates bagel)!

cwm

« Reply #992 on: November 22, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
With all the young ones I've known recently, I've seen Elmo as:
Emmo
Melmo
Mamo
Ellow
Ella-mow-man (this was pronounced very carefully)

There's also Sproglet, who loves Batman and Superman. Sis lets her watch Justice League Unlimited and any of the Batman animated series. So when she wants to watch Batman, she asks for "Mana-man" and when she wants Superman and Batman (Justice League), it turns into "Superman-man-mat-man-man". Well, at least we know what she's asking for.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #993 on: November 22, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »
All the Elmo stories reminded me!

My mom has video of this, which is the only reason I remember it so clearly:

Bro and I are jumping on the bed, and mom is filming.
Mom: "So, what are we going to do this weekend?"
Me: "Goooooooo CAMPING!"
Mom: "And who's going with us?"
Bro and I: "..."
Mom: "Grover? Elmo?"
Bro:(in a tone of utter exasperation) "Those two things are MONSTERS!"
Mom: "So? Don't they go camping too?"
Bro: "Nooooooo! They live in the television and they don't come out!"
Me: (falls over laughing)
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

crella

« Reply #994 on: November 22, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »
My poor mother let us name the dog. We still lived in Boston, so I was about 4 and Sis was 2 1/2 I'd guess (we moved when I was almost 6). We named him Nibbles. The day my sister chased the dog around the yard yelling 'Nipples! Nipples!' was the day the dog's name got changed very quickly.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #995 on: November 22, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
A parent never realized their mental age hangs at 15 y/o boys until they've followed their son into the toy aisle and he shouts very clearly that he wants a Woody. You will also come across other parents snickering because they just suffered through the same thing. Toy Story is not just for kids.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #996 on: November 23, 2013, 02:57:56 AM »
My poor mother let us name the dog. We still lived in Boston, so I was about 4 and Sis was 2 1/2 I'd guess (we moved when I was almost 6). We named him Nibbles. The day my sister chased the dog around the yard yelling 'Nipples! Nipples!' was the day the dog's name got changed very quickly.

But the important question is what did it get changed to?

crella

« Reply #997 on: November 23, 2013, 03:33:50 AM »
Oh dear......well Mum thought we should still get to name it and we voted on....Taxi, which got my mother yelled at by a taxi driver for yelling "Taxi!!" when the dog ran away once. She couldn't win  ;D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #998 on: November 23, 2013, 05:44:41 AM »
Oh dear......well Mum thought we should still get to name it and we voted on....Taxi, which got my mother yelled at by a taxi driver for yelling "Taxi!!" when the dog ran away once. She couldn't win  ;D

That's funny

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #999 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:02 AM »
A parent never realized their mental age hangs at 15 y/o boys until they've followed their son into the toy aisle and he shouts very clearly that he wants a Woody. You will also come across other parents snickering because they just suffered through the same thing. Toy Story is not just for kids.

*Snicker* A former neighbor told me she and her hubby were in the Disney store at the mall, shopping and she picked up a small stuffed Woody and blurted to her husband without thinking "Oh look, a little Woody!" then she blushed and they both laughed.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #1000 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
Yesterday I decided that everybody needed a break from real life and drove down to Key West.  I have a friend that lives down there, and the night before the kids asked if we'd be meeting up with him while we were there.  I told them that assuming he got off work early enough, we'd meet for dinner before it was time to head home. Now, for a little background, this friend is rather good with slight of hand card tricks, and the last time he was here, he entertained the kids for a while with various card tricks, and of course, the "pull a card from behind somebody's ear" trick is a must.

So, on the way down there yesterday, my 11 year old says "I just want you to know that I washed my hair really, really well so <friend> won't be able to find ANY cards this time!"

For the record, half a deck of cards were found behind the child's ear. :D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1001 on: November 23, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
I went to see Catching Fire.

Near the end, there is a statement made by Gayle to Katniss...a Little girl in the audience exclaimed "NO WAY!".  I'm pretty sure everyone laughed.  The timing was just that great.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

lilfox

« Reply #1002 on: November 28, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
DD wanted to share something she learned at school recently: "Before the earth had any people, volcanoes!"

I asked her to explain a drawing she had made: a small red circle inside a larger yellow circle surrounded by blue with some red lines in it.  The red circle is a volcano, yellow is the island, blue is the earth with no cracks in it (definitely not water, as I naively assumed), and the red lines are lava snakes, trying to get to their food, the hot lava.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1003 on: November 29, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
Lava snakes, huh?  8)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Carotte

« Reply #1004 on: November 29, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
Lava snakes, huh?  8)

Probably the plot of a next Doctor Who episode :)