Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 200371 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1050 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
The boyo has been given more chores lately. Nothing too crazy, but he can unload the cups from the dishwasher and clean most of the living room by himself. This morning he spent about 20 minutes tidying the living room just to have Baby come crashing through, Godzilla style. I had to fight not to laugh at Boyo scolding Baby "I just cleaned this room. Can't we have a nice room for 5 minutes?" then, muttering under his breath, "these kids are driving me crazy"

I have a friend with 6 kids (I think the oldest is about 10 now?).  Her technique is to have each kid have their own "area" that they're responsible for.  She said there's nothing quite like giving her 8-year-old son charge of the living room, because he not only can clean it *fast*, having done so daily for 2 years, but he's also fiercely protective of it.  They all are, of their own area.  The 10-year-old girl has the kitchen, so she's militant about reminding her siblings to put their dishes in the sink/dishwasher.  And the 6-year-old has the hallway, so she makes sure that everybody remembers to wipe their feet and put their shoes in the cabinet when they come in.  Spreads the nagging out so that it's not all the mom doing it.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #1051 on: January 02, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
The boyo has been given more chores lately. Nothing too crazy, but he can unload the cups from the dishwasher and clean most of the living room by himself. This morning he spent about 20 minutes tidying the living room just to have Baby come crashing through, Godzilla style. I had to fight not to laugh at Boyo scolding Baby "I just cleaned this room. Can't we have a nice room for 5 minutes?" then, muttering under his breath, "these kids are driving me crazy"

I have a friend with 6 kids (I think the oldest is about 10 now?).  Her technique is to have each kid have their own "area" that they're responsible for.  She said there's nothing quite like giving her 8-year-old son charge of the living room, because he not only can clean it *fast*, having done so daily for 2 years, but he's also fiercely protective of it.  They all are, of their own area.  The 10-year-old girl has the kitchen, so she's militant about reminding her siblings to put their dishes in the sink/dishwasher.  And the 6-year-old has the hallway, so she makes sure that everybody remembers to wipe their feet and put their shoes in the cabinet when they come in.  Spreads the nagging out so that it's not all the mom doing it.

Oh my gosh!

This. is. GENIUS! ;D

Almost makes me want to have lots of kids just so I can have fun delegating. :P
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1052 on: January 02, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »
Hmmm...that is quite clever!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1053 on: January 03, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »

Oh my gosh!

This. is. GENIUS! ;D

Almost makes me want to have lots of kids just so I can have fun delegating. :P

I've been trying it myself, but I'm still working out the kinks.  :)  My kids are still young enough that they don't seem to get the concept that if they make a mess, they will have to clean it up later.  Also, we're in the stage of trying to keep things out of the reach of the locksmith/ninja/mountain climber 1-year-old, which means that all surfaces she can't reach tend to become catch-alls for all the things she desperately wants.  She recently discovered how to open candy canes on her own.  And how to climb from the preschool table to her big sister's high desk.  The world may never been the same.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1054 on: January 06, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »
My heart melted...and then I laughed myself silly.

The 6 year old went back to school today; her teacher sent her home with a wrapped gift with a big red bow on it.

She got tape for the bow so she could wear it, so I made a tape donut and put it on her chest.  She took it off and put it on my chest near my shoulder.

Her: I'm going to put it here because you're a gift to me.
Me (melting): Aw, thank you.  You're very precious to me and I love you very much.
Her: You're a present, but I'm not going to unwrap you, because then you'd be naked and...and...(scrunches up her face) only dada wants to see that.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bluenomi

« Reply #1055 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:24 PM »
DD1 came to chat to me in the bathroom this morning after I had my shower. She was poking my tummy and told me it was like an octopus because it was wobbly and squishy. Thanks kiddo.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1056 on: January 06, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
My heart melted...and then I laughed myself silly.

The 6 year old went back to school today; her teacher sent her home with a wrapped gift with a big red bow on it.

She got tape for the bow so she could wear it, so I made a tape donut and put it on her chest.  She took it off and put it on my chest near my shoulder.

Her: I'm going to put it here because you're a gift to me.
Me (melting): Aw, thank you.  You're very precious to me and I love you very much.
Her: You're a present, but I'm not going to unwrap you, because then you'd be naked and...and...(scrunches up her face) only dada wants to see that.

LOL! That's so cute! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kajunchick

« Reply #1057 on: January 07, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »
My oldest was visiting her dad this weekend. She was talking with her little sisters (ages 9 and 5) and their little friend, Dave. Dave said, "Do you like me?" DD said "I like all of you."

5yo sis patted Dave on the arm and said, "She likes us a little bit more than you."
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1058 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »

Or a toddler with the "This-is-the-absolute-worst-thing-in-the-world-how-could-you-do-this-to-me" face. Especially when it comes on slowly.

You know the one. The kid is sitting there happy, then something happens. The corners of the mouth start to twitch down. The nose scrunches, and the face turns into a look of abject brokenheartedness. Tiny hands come up to cover the face, and the whole tiny little body slumps to the floor as the wailing begins. The whole scene takes about five seconds.

All because you said that the apples were all gone.

If you like that, check out : "Reasons My Son Is Crying"   at http://www.reasonsmysoniscrying.com/

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1059 on: January 08, 2014, 01:40:34 PM »
I had to run an errand with my littlest one (2) and he was all dressed but for shoes. Now, as anyone with a toddler, or has ever had a toddler knows, it's like living with a little leprechaun.  You might put something away but it doesn't always stay there.

In looking for his shoes, I found one and put it on the couch while I went to look for the other in another room.  I came back and found a shoe in the hammock of the cat tree.  Thinking I'd successfully found two of the pair I looked at the couch.

Me: Piratebabe, is this the same shoe Mama found earlier?
Piratebabe: *giving me a not so innocent look* Maybe...

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #1060 on: January 10, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
DD has new favorite cookie currently in rotation:  Lorna Dooms.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

deadbody

« Reply #1061 on: January 10, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
So it wasn't really a cute kid thing since Deadson is 15, but we spent Christmas at a waterpark and themepark.  He drove the go-kart ride, when he got off he came and found me at the exit (Mrs. Deadbody was taking one of the Deaddaughters as well) and said

"Dad, I used to wonder why you swore so much when driving.  Now I understand, these people drive like idiots."

Not sure I am ready for him to drive yet :)  But he understands how to do it now, so that is a start.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1062 on: January 11, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
I pretty much said the same thing to my mom when I was a kid, deadbody.

Yesterday was my birthday. I was talking to the 6 year old about it and asked her if she remembered how old I was turning. She brightly said, "26!" I replied, "Kind of old, huh?" Her response? "Yeah, but not old, old like daddy." He is 28.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1063 on: January 11, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »
A few years ago, on a very rainy day I was driving my boys to school and they were asking me how old I was.  I told them 32.  They asked how  old my best friend was, already knowing she was a bit older than me. 

I told them "Oh she's 55." Middle pirate blurted out "And she's still ALIVE?"  Then he blushed and said "Please don't tell her I said that!"

crella

« Reply #1064 on: January 11, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
That's too funny!  :D :D :D