Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 216730 times)

Bluenomi

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1065 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
DD1 was playing with her fairy wand this morning.

DD1: what do you wish for?
Me: 2 sleeping babies. (Both twins were aware and cranky at the time)
DD1: I can't do that.

DH thought she was hilarious! Most fairies aren't so honest apparently. In the end the only thing I was allowed to wish for was a kitten.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1066 on: January 11, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »
I've got the "fixer upper" song from Frozen stuck in my head, and I was dancing around the living room, singing it. Alas, I could not tempt my sweet True Love away from his task of putting up the board game. So I said he had frozen my heart. 5yo DS piped up, "now you gotta kiss her." DH smiled a bit, then rolled his eyes and shook his head. I, somewhat dramatically, fell to my knees with my hand to my forehead. DS sighed and said, "Oh. Well, I guess I'll kiss her then," and he kissed my cheek. Afterwards, he walked off muttering, "great, I guess I'm just the guy who has to kiss people around here."
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Frog24

« Reply #1067 on: January 15, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
My little girl is 3.5 years old, and as she's growing, her speech becomes mumbly and garbled when she's in a growth spurt.  The other week she said:

"Mommy?"
"Yes, dear?" I looked at her expectantly.
She turned away from me, and said: "*mumble* *mumble* *mummmmble*"
"I'm sorry, honey, I couldn't understand you, can you look at me and ask me again?"
She stopped her twirly dance and said clear as a bell: "That's because I'm speaking French."

We are, at this point, an English-only household. The only other language she hears often is Spanish when watching "Dora".

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1068 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:42 PM »
DD (17 months) is starting to learn to talk, and we've been encouraging her as much as we can with a Mr. Rogers-esque "Can you say ___?"  She's pretty good at parroting things back, and she's making connections pretty well.  The only problem is that she learned animal noises right away (cow says "moo," pig says "oink," etc.), and whenever we say "Can you say cow?" or "Can you say pig?" she insists on saying "Moo!" or "Oink!"

And whenever we point at the cat (whom she adores) and say, "What is that?" she cries out "Meow!  Meow!  Meow!"

The cat, if he knew how, would be rolling his eyes.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1069 on: January 16, 2014, 09:01:06 AM »
It's snacktime in our household. Typically, this consists of juice and toast, this is what DS is used to and we encourage him to "use his words" and tell us what he wants.  He is 2 years and 3 months and has had a mixed bag of results:

Me: What do you want to eat, DS?
DS: Toast.
Me: Ok. (Goes off to get his toast)
DS: Mumma? (yelled)
Me: Yes darling?
DS: Toast and poo.

Now look.  I know what he meant. I actually knew he meant toast and Marmite.  Don't ask me how, but my mind was certainly wired to his right at that second.

Me: Toast and Marmite?
DS: (looks simultaneously astounded and amazed that I translated that so quickly): YES!!! Not toast and jam. It toast and poo.

Now, every time either me or DH fancy toast and Marmite, we refer to it as toast and poo.  :D 

Sorry if that's put anyone off Marmite!!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1070 on: January 16, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
Well if it didn't before Hollanda it does now! ;D

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1071 on: January 16, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
Well if it didn't before Hollanda it does now! ;D

Sorry  :-[ :D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1072 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
My little girl is 3.5 years old, and as she's growing, her speech becomes mumbly and garbled when she's in a growth spurt.  The other week she said:

"Mommy?"
"Yes, dear?" I looked at her expectantly.
She turned away from me, and said: "*mumble* *mumble* *mummmmble*"
"I'm sorry, honey, I couldn't understand you, can you look at me and ask me again?"
She stopped her twirly dance and said clear as a bell: "That's because I'm speaking French."

We are, at this point, an English-only household. The only other language she hears often is Spanish when watching "Dora".

I remember a similar conversation with my oldest when she was about 2-3.  I asked her the name of a toy (I think a duck), and she said, "Asewee Dudah."  I repeated, "Asewee Dudah?"  She nodded.  "Yes, it's French."  I love how "it's French" is code for gobbledygook for little kids.  :)

The other day, I was putting out some chicken scraps to feed to the chickens.  Emily (7) shook her head sadly as she watched.  "Poor chicks.  They don't know they're eating their own people!"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1073 on: January 16, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »

I repeated, "Asewee Dudah?"  She nodded.  "Yes, it's French."  I love how "it's French" is code for gobbledygook for little kids.  :)
It's perfectly understandable.  Someone on TV says something that they don't understand, another TV character says "It's French."  Therefore any word that one does not understand = French, which of course leads one to the corollary that any word one makes up ALSO = French.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Carotte

« Reply #1074 on: January 16, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »

I remember a similar conversation with my oldest when she was about 2-3.  I asked her the name of a toy (I think a duck), and she said, "Asewee Dudah."  I repeated, "Asewee Dudah?"  She nodded.  "Yes, it's French."  I love how "it's French" is code for gobbledygook for little kids.  :)

Or she learned french with Joey Tribiani :)

When he was a litle kid (between 3 and 6 probably) my brother came running to my mother saying "mommy mommy, there's an elephant on the washing machine!".
Now, not really that weird from a kid, but that was blurted in english, we're french. Brother heard it on the tv, we often had english cartoons (but didn't really learn until our teens) and must have thought it sounded funny.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1075 on: January 16, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
When I was a little kid and an adult would (accidentally, I presume) say swear words within our earshot, they would often say "Oh!  Pardon my French!"

It wasn't until years later that I realized French was actually a language -- and a quite beautiful one!!  I have wondered how such a flowing, exquisite language could ever have been highjacked to refer to 'bad words'!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1076 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
When I was a little kid and an adult would (accidentally, I presume) say swear words within our earshot, they would often say "Oh!  Pardon my French!"

It wasn't until years later that I realized French was actually a language -- and a quite beautiful one!!  I have wondered how such a flowing, exquisite language could ever have been highjacked to refer to 'bad words'!

My French teacher used to have a retort for that.  (Teachers are required to have bad jokes, aren't they?)  If someone swore and said "Pardon my French," he'd always reassure them "Oh, don't worry; that wasn't French!"  ::)

magicdomino

« Reply #1077 on: January 16, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »

Especially since many of those bad words are from Anglo-Saxon and similar languages.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1078 on: January 16, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »

Especially since many of those bad words are from Anglo-Saxon and similar languages.

My Consultant used to say "ooh, I'm becoming rather Anglo-Saxon about things now!" Lol it made me giggle!

lilfox

« Reply #1079 on: January 17, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »
DD's friend is having a birthday party next week.  I asked DD to find out what the birthday girl would like for a present.  She comes home and says, "friend wants diamonds!". I asked her if friend mentioned any other things she liked or wanted, and DD says "no, she said she only wants diamonds."

Friend is turning 5.

Fortunately DD has a collection of big rhinestones from various projects, which she collects because: shiny. She calls them "clues" though I don't know why, she knows the word jewel. She went and got a pink one in the shape of a heart to give to her friend.   :-*