Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 195362 times)

stkatie00

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1095 on: February 04, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »
Today is my birthday, and I was trying to get my two year old twins to say "Happy Birthday." Since I found a new moms group when they were born, all of their friends were born within three or so months of each other, so we've just finished up our birthday circuit. Since for each of those parties we worked on them saying happy birthday, then went to a party where there was cake, my son got as far as saying "happy" then said "Cake!"  :)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1096 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
I was helping my 3-year-old get a pair of tight-fitting pants (that have no elastic *and* a sealed waist--no button/snap/zipper) on the other day.  It was a bit of a struggle, and afterwards, she said, "Mommy, you almost sprained my butt!"

turtleIScream

« Reply #1097 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:55 AM »
I live in Michigan, the current snow capital of the U.S. It is snowing again today, but we have had zero precipitation the last two days, and temps in the upper 20s, so the plows and salt trucks were finally effective at clearing the roads. My son (4) looked outside, and exclaimed, "look Momma! You can see the floor of the street!"

shygirl

« Reply #1098 on: February 05, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
My 3yo son has taken to calling me "sweetie" or "honey".  He seems to only use it when he is politely turning me down for some required task, so I think he's trying to distract me.  For example:

Me:  Let's go eat dinner.
Son:  Not right now Sweetie!

I have to say, it works!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1099 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
We were tucking in Six last night and I said, "Let's make a Six sandwich!"  We got distracted tickling her, but she paused to ask us every so nicely to make a Six sandwich.  DF got on one side, I got on the other, and we hugged her between us.  She squealed and laughed then very calmly said, "No, I meant make a sandwich for Six."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1100 on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
Reminds me of the joke "In China do they just call it food?" Course I'm sure that just like what we Americans refer to as "Mexican" food is really our version of Mexican food, I'm sure the food that the Chinese eat is not quite what is made and served in American Chinese restaurants.
Americanized Chinese restaurants often use peanut oil (the high flashpoint makes it safer). Something I've been assured is not used in China.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1101 on: February 09, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Reminds me of the joke "In China do they just call it food?" Course I'm sure that just like what we Americans refer to as "Mexican" food is really our version of Mexican food, I'm sure the food that the Chinese eat is not quite what is made and served in American Chinese restaurants.
Americanized Chinese restaurants often use peanut oil (the high flashpoint makes it safer). Something I've been assured is not used in China.

As I figured.  Plus in our old neighborhood we had Chinese neighbors and the mother was always bringing food she made over to us so we got to experience what real Chinese food is like and it is quite different than the sesame chicken or sweet and sour pork you'd find in an American Chinese restaurant.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

exitzero

« Reply #1102 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »

As I figured.  Plus in our old neighborhood we had Chinese neighbors and the mother was always bringing food she made over to us so we got to experience what real Chinese food is like and it is quite different than the sesame chicken or sweet and sour pork you'd find in an American Chinese restaurant.

If you are really interested in this topic, you should read "The Fortune Cookie Chronicles"  by Jennifer 8. Lee. (Yes, her middle name is 8.) It's a fascinating history of Chinese food in America.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1103 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
That does sound interesting, thanks!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Alli8098

« Reply #1104 on: February 15, 2014, 04:42:05 PM »
My 3yo son has taken to calling me "sweetie" or "honey".  He seems to only use it when he is politely turning me down for some required task, so I think he's trying to distract me.  For example:

Me:  Let's go eat dinner.
Son:  Not right now Sweetie!

I have to say, it works!

If I hurt myself in any way my 4 year old DD will run up to me and ask "Are you ok honey?".  For some reason I always find it really funny.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1105 on: February 15, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »
Science museum had a big event going on today, and one of the extra stations they had set up was for kids to make things with gumdrops and toothpicks.  Babybartfast made model Powerpuff Girls which incidentally involved jamming as many gumdrops on a single toothpick as she could  :P  Anyway, the little girl across from her (probably about 5, same age as Babybartfast) managed to make a cube.  She showed it to Babybartfast, whose response was "Ooh, you made a Minecraft block!"

(Not sure she knows what a cube is, but she darn well knows everything in that game . . . )

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1106 on: February 15, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
I took my 5yo to soccer last week and he told me the secret of how he runs so fast. I was, of course, duly impressed, and we continued walking to the car. After a couple minutes, he looked up and said, "I told you my secret, but I didn't tell you all of my secrets. Because one day I might have to destroy you." And he kept on walking like it was no big deal!
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1107 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
My youngest is turning into quite the Potterhead. 

I put "Sorcerer's Stone" on this morning and right when Vernon says "There's no such thing as magic!" My 2 year old yells at the tv "YES THERE IS!!!!!!"

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #1108 on: February 28, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
This is an old thread so I may have already told this story.  When I was little (7 or so) my Dad mentioned that his father, my Granddad, was "retired."  I said "GRANDDAD'S RETARDED?!!" 

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #1109 on: February 28, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »
Telling on the nieces again!

Big Niece is getting very into dinosaurs lately. I happen to have a copy of Dinotopia with the gorgeous dinosaur paintings (short version - a man and his son find a dinosaur society on an island that can only be reached by shipwreck). So, I brought it along when we went to visit thinking, "Dinosaur fantasy story - she'll get a bang out of that."

Well, maybe not so much. BN sees the book, opens it to a picture, and looks up at me with a suspicious face. "Is this a fake book? There are dinosaurs and people together in it. I think this book is fake." I explained that it was a fictional story, but she decided she wasn't interested. She wanted a real dinosaur book.  Ah, well, maybe next time. :P
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning