News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 24, 2017, 07:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 453975 times)

Writer of Wrongs

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1695 on: May 08, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
I was giving my youngest nephew, 7, a piggy-back ride around the field at Mom's. Oldest nephew was climbing a tree, and YN and I were standing at the base of the tree, talking to him. I saw a bug on the tree, so I lifted one foot and smashed it.

YN: "What did you just do?"
Me: "I killed a bug."
YN: "How RUDE!"
 ;D

But this is the same kid who, by his own instigation, wrote thank-you notes/pictures to me and DH after we kept him for an afternoon last summer and pretends to be embarrassed that those notes are displayed on my refrigerator. (He checks to see if they're still there any time he's at my house.)

lilfox

« Reply #1696 on: May 25, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Writer of Wrongs, my son is going through a phase where any killing of any bug results in him sobbing heartbroken that now he can't watch it move anymore.  I have had to set free spiders found in the house.

Today I was getting frustrated waiting for my kids to get ready for school, asking at the last minute to go fetch toys for the 5-minute car ride, getting shoes on as slowly as possible, that sort of thing.  At one point I was griping aloud to myself and said how it's not helpful when they're doing things other than getting ready.  My DD snarked at me that it's not helpful to them when I call them names.  I said, what names do you think I've called you?  She said "Gee Whiz!"

Had to explain to her that "gee whiz" is just an expression, not name calling.

parrot_girl

« Reply #1697 on: June 13, 2017, 07:51:09 AM »
Today, my 5 year old DS was helping me make the bed, and we were smoothing out the beautiful quilt on the top, which I'd previously told him was very precious because it had been a wedding present made by hand.
DS: "Dis is very precious, isn't it Mother?"
Me: "Yes! Do you remember why?"
DS: "I do! It was made out of hands!"
 :o :D ;D

Interesting, although a bit creepy!

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #1698 on: June 13, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Parrot_girl, that's hilarious.

I grew up on a farm. I was also a very literal-minded child. When I was very small, we'd gotten a new horse. Dad said something about needing to break the horse to ride (he did this for a living in his early 20s). I became very upset on several occasions when he mentioned breaking the horse (need to, going to start next week, starting today, etc.). Finally, my parents said, "You can't ride him until Dad breaks him."

Tiny me said, "But I can't ride him if he's broken!"

Lightbulbs finally came on, and they realized I thought Dad was going to break the horse like one might break a lamp, rendering it useless. They explained that in this case, "break" meant "train."

But then, I was the same child who thought when a neighbor suffered a broken leg in a car wreck, her leg had been broken off and was detached. For some reason, I had trouble with break/broken!  ::)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #1699 on: June 13, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
the break/broken story reminded my of my youngest child. when she was about 3 yo, She named one of her stuffed animals "breakable"  because all of Mommy's stuff was breakable, so she wanted something just like.

it was her favorite stuffed animal for a long time that she carried everywhere. It confused so many adults that a stuffed toy was breakable. 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Mustard

« Reply #1700 on: June 13, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
My daughter had a life-sized baby doll when she was 3.  She wanted to know if it was a rag doll; no, I said.  The arms and legs were plastic, but the body was made of cloth. (I didn't use the term fabric) The doll was known as Clothbody thereafter.

katiescarlett

« Reply #1701 on: June 15, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
Clothbody and Breakable for dolls' names! I love it! Too cute. I was a very unoriginal child. I named all of my dolls Julie Renee, because that was my favorite name as a child and I wanted my sister named that. Actually, that almost happened because Mom wanted it. She just couldn't quite talk Dad into it. So, she became Jessica LaDea instead.

When I was 5 my parents got a video camera and used it at my kindergarten graduation (in 1985, if that gives you any idea how ginormous that monster was). I sort of understood TV, but watching the tape of my graduation confused me. I distinctly remember asking my mother if my heart was beating on that tape. I was fascinated and watched it over and over for days until I think Mom finally hid it from me because she was tired of explaining again and again how I was on there.

Addy

« Reply #1702 on: June 15, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »
My daughter was quite the imaginative namer of her stuffed animals. She had Racer the Donkey, Big Buffy the dog, and my personal favourite, a unicorn named Rainbow Horny Couch.

Ooh, edited to add one I just remembered...Tacky Little Birdy.

lilfox

« Reply #1703 on: June 15, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
Both of my kids are the most literal stuffed-animal namers possible.  Everything is named what it is plus "-ee" so we have lots of Bear-ees and Frogg-ees and Cow-ees.  DD makes an effort once in a while and goes all out with double and triple names ("Princess Amber Golden Kitty") and then immediately changes her mind so the toy goes through a number of name combinations within the course of a day.

When I was a kid, I named several of my animals after spices so I had Ginger, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and Sugarcane.  Sugarcane was later promoted to "Master" when she was chosen to be the head of the stuffed animal school.

Gyburc

« Reply #1704 on: June 19, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
I had a funny exchange with Little G just the other day.

LG: 'Mummy, do you love me?'
Me: 'Yes, darling, of course I do.'

(pause)

LG:'Do you love my snot?'
Me: 'Um, not quite as much, love.'

(pause)

LG:'Do you love my earwax?'
Me: 'Not quite so much, no.'

(long pause)

LG:'Mummy, do brown people have brown earwax?'
Me: 'Ummmm....'
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Frog24

« Reply #1705 on: June 19, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »
We were listening to "Vance the Vegetarian Zombie" by the Arrogant Worms the other day, when my oldest one (almost 7) says: "Mom, what's a vegan?"

So I explain what veganism is.

"Mom, can I..." she begins and my heart starts racing.  I'm worried she'll ask to become a vegan, which simply won't work for our household at this time. "Can I have a vegan for a pet?"

"I'm sorry sweetie, but vegans are people and you aren't allowed to keep people as pets."

*phew!*  Crisis averted.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #1706 on: June 21, 2017, 08:21:45 AM »
My niece has clearly inherited the family snark gene. ;D

Had a trip out to visit sister and family at the beginning of this month. Niece is ten, and as ten year olds do, proceeded to be hyper and silly the entire visit. Which resulted in:

Sister: *teasingly, to niece* What is wrong with you?
Me: She's your kid.
Niece: *matter-of-factly* And that is the problem.

I thought my sister was going to hurt herself laughing.
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."