News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 10:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You KNOW You're an Adult When...  (Read 41153 times)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Re: You KNOW You're an Adult When...
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
You order a carpet cleaning for your condo.

You are actually looking forward to said carpet cleaning taking place.
I have pet mice!

Kath68

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
When you stop doing the annual "Do you realise it's exactly X years since I left school today?"

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
You find yourself discussing childrearing philosophies with fellow parents.

I decided recently that I want to go back to school to get a degree and when I went to the local community college and browsed the bookstore I remembered just how much college books cost.  I'd COMPLETELY forgotten about that! LOL! 

And on my way into the student center a guy behind me called out "Hey girl" and I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or not.  He was, as my gloves had fallen out of my coat pocket.   Going back to school at 32 feels a little weird to think of, knowing I'll likely be older than most of my classmates.   Though if I'm being called a "girl" I guess it won't be too obvious! LOL!

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »

I decided recently that I want to go back to school to get a degree and when I went to the local community college and browsed the bookstore I remembered just how much college books cost.  I'd COMPLETELY forgotten about that! LOL! 

And on my way into the student center a guy behind me called out "Hey girl" and I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or not.  He was, as my gloves had fallen out of my coat pocket.   Going back to school at 32 feels a little weird to think of, knowing I'll likely be older than most of my classmates.   Though if I'm being called a "girl" I guess it won't be too obvious! LOL!

Don't worry, Piratelvr--I'm almost 30 and I'm still in college.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »

That's good to know.  I"m excited and nervous about it at the same time...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

You'll be fine; and the profs will adore you, because they usually assume that as a returning student you'll be taking things more seriously than some younger students who are still new to the college experience.

Go you!  :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:38:09 PM by starsaphire »

Xallanthia

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
When you stop doing the annual "Do you realise it's exactly X years since I left school today?"

Similarly--when you start letting the weather, rather than the first day of the new school year, tell you that it's time to put the summer clothes away.

(Exception for those who 1) have never NOT had someone in school in the house or 2) work in an academic institution.  It took 2 years for me before I started thinking of summer as "from when it gets warm until just after school starts" until things got REALLY cold... sandals in November, that kind of thing).

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
That's good to know, and having done the "College right after high school thing" I have to say that as an adult I will definitely be more serious about it all than I was at that age.    Plus I think when you're paying for it all yourself you're more likely to want to get your money's worth out of it.

I dropped out after 3 years when I realized that with the struggles I was having with my chemistry and microbiology classes, I was probably not cut out to be a nurse and I was losing my desire to be one and I think nursing or anything in the medical profession is something that's better done when you WANT to do it.    But since I couldn't decide what I wanted to be instead, I finished out the semester and dropped out, which my parents hated.   I told them I didn't want to be the kid who takes 10 years or more to graduate because they keep changing majors and skates by on Mommy and Daddy's tab while they figure out what they want to do with their lives.    

They didn't quite see it that way and said they'd pay for school as long as it took.   Having one of my rare moments of stubborn pride and letting my streak of independence take hold, I dropped out anyway and said "When I decide what I want to do I'll go back" so here I am. :)   And NOT going back for nursing like my mother repeatedly pushed since I left school because she wanted to be a nurse.  

Anyroads, I'm proud of myself for deciding to go back! :)

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
I'm going into the English program at the community college. :)  I already talked to someone in the admissions office and they told me that my credits from Salisbury U. should transfer over so that I won't have to take them again, which will be nice.  I know it might take more than 2 years anyway because I'm going 1/2 time and might take at most 2 classes a semester. 

I don't really know what I'll do with it once I graduate but I figure an English degree is pretty useful even if you aren't aspiring to pen the great American novel or teach English.   And English always was one of my easier subjects in school cause I love to read and write.

HungryHungryKitties

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
...you turn on the radio to a current hits station, and say, "That's not music, that's just noise!"
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
...you turn on the radio to a current hits station, and say, "That's not music, that's just noise!"

Or even worse you turn on the "Classic Rock" station and hear songs from when you were 13/14!!! (I'm only 31, those songs can't be classics yet!)

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
Hey there are plenty of things you can do with an English degree once you figure out which direction you want to go in, even in technical fields.  It's kind of an all purpose thing.

I kept saying I wouldn't go back ever (I am done with my undergrad degree) but I'm taking a class at community college too to prep for my CCNP certification, and I'm looking into taking personal investment classes (found a couple at a different college).  I guess it's not quite the same thing as "going back to school" since I'm not looking to get a degree, but it's still nice to be a student again.

IMO you never stop learning until your dead, so any class you take to enrich yourself, be it a credit or non-credit class, is great. :)

kitty-cat

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »

Or even worse you turn on the "Classic Rock" station and hear songs from when you were 13/14!!! (I'm only 31, those songs can't be classics yet!)

When songs that you grew up hearing are included in a "80's-90's pop" themed lip synch contest.

Also, when you realize that it's been: 9 years since elementery school, 6 years since middle school and only a year before you can purchace adult drinks.

NE Florida

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »
The classic rock station in town- before modifying format and adding stuff from the 90s- played stuff from before I was even born back in the late 70s. Latest they would play would be late 80s hair bands.

Anyhow, you know you are an adult when you make plans to schedule a pest control visit with a private company and not just the landlord.
I have pet mice!

LadyClaire

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
When you get excited about buying new face plates for the electrical outlets and light switches in your house. I did that today..bought some nice decorative ones to replace the basic white plastic ones we have now. I was so darned excited that I installed them all before DH got home and then spent several minutes walking from room to room admiring them.