News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:45:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You KNOW You're an Adult When...  (Read 41233 times)

Sirius

Re: You KNOW You're an Adult When...
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »
My kid sister, whose diapers I changed, is a grandma. 

Thipu1

« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »
Oooh yeah, here's another one. 

FIL always prided himself on being athletic and young.  He never wanted to hang around with those 'Old Geezers'.

He got a wake-up call when he learned his daughter received her AARP card. 

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2011, 04:37:43 PM »
Piratefriend, who is 22 years older than DH and myself, said she felt like Methuselah when I mentioned that DH got something in the mail from AARP, and he was 31 at the time.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ginlyn32

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
When you hear someone call out in the middle of the night "MOM!" you are instantly awake and alert...then feel silly to realize it was the cat meowing.

When you must streatch $50 grocery budget for a week. For 5 people....3 of which are teenaged boys.

When you have to figure out how to pay all the utilities, groceries, vehicle payments on one paycheck.

You get excited about extra money because you can get caught up on bills. (still trying to dig out of past debt!)

A fun evening consists of a hot bubble bath, a good book and going to bed early.

You actually pay attention to the news.

You listen to talk radio.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

ginlyn32

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
Fitted sheets go on the bed silly.   If they are in the closet you are doing something horribly wrong.

Don't tell me you are supposed to have more than 1 sheet set for the bed, that is just silly talk.
I have 6 sheet sets. 2 are flannel sets and are used in Winter. the other are regular sheets. I got a really good deal on them and switched out my old thread bare sheets for them. (I really miss Linens N Things!) I am thinking about getting a nice set of bamboo sheets for the summer. It gets really hot here in the summer, even with the a/c and ceiling fan.

I have way too many towels as well. And jammies. I think if I bought any more jammies DH would kill me.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

ginlyn32

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
I am about to be a mother to an adult. My oldest is about to turn 18. I don't know where the time went.

New moms, it really does go by fast! Cherish it...even getting up and changing dirty dipers and all the midnight feedings. I hope he does it better than me...I think that's what all parents want for their kids. For the kids to be better than the parents.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
...your husband announces that he prefers your cooking to going out for dinner, not just because it's tastier, but primarily because it's cheaper!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I am about to be a mother to an adult. My oldest is about to turn 18. I don't know where the time went.

New moms, it really does go by fast! Cherish it...even getting up and changing dirty dipers and all the midnight feedings. I hope he does it better than me...I think that's what all parents want for their kids. For the kids to be better than the parents.

ginlyn

Pirateboy 2 is 8 and I thought by now he would be at the "I'm too old to be affectionate with Mom" phase but I'm loving that he isn't and will enjoy it as long as it lasts. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ginlyn32

« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »

ginlyn

Pirateboy 2 is 8 and I thought by now he would be at the "I'm too old to be affectionate with Mom" phase but I'm loving that he isn't and will enjoy it as long as it lasts. 

My youngest let me hug him up until he was 10 or 11...then it was EWWWW MOM! He still lets me give him a night time kiss and tuck him in though.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Emmy

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »
Ah, the good, bad, and ugly about being an adult.

When our standard of going out to eat is usually a nice cafe or restaurant instead of pizza, an inexpensive chain, or fast food.

Reaizing certain clothing stores are too young for me.

When I went to the liquor store and instead of checking my ID, the woman behind the counter said "can I help you find something?".

When I saw a FB post from a woman with a young baby and the flu.  Despite being sick as a dog, she had to get out of bed and take care of that baby.  I agree that being sick as a kid is much better than being sick as an adult. 

When I spent New Year's in for the first time in years at home and I didn't mind at all. 

When I get 'ma'amed'.  I still cringe at that.

Now that DH and I are expecting our first child, I tend to spend very little on myself and save up for baby gear.

When I see the TV shows I watched growing up described as 'classics'.

When I start to wonder why little kids get naps in pre-school when they don't want them and most adults have to do without a nap when we could really use one.  Ah the irony.

Luci

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »

Now that DH and I are expecting our first child, I tend to spend very little on myself and save up for baby gear.

Yes! All the other stuff you mentioned I felt, too. But this one is the one that I feel most strongly about. I have read so many threads where someone was offended that the gifts for Christmas, birthday and anniversary to her were really for the baby, not her. The gifts for my unborn were for me. I didn't have to buy that stuff, and my focus was on my child. (I am 66 but I remember the feelings.)

Best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy and delivery, and joy and fullfillment forever. (Yes, it can be that way.)

Emmy

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »

Yes! All the other stuff you mentioned I felt, too. But this one is the one that I feel most strongly about. I have read so many threads where someone was offended that the gifts for Christmas, birthday and anniversary to her were really for the baby, not her. The gifts for my unborn were for me. I didn't have to buy that stuff, and my focus was on my child. (I am 66 but I remember the feelings.)

Best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy and delivery, and joy and fullfillment forever. (Yes, it can be that way.)

Thank you very much Lucinda. :)

A few more: 

When going for an evening out, I started wanting to go to the places with smaller crowds, softer music, and was not a hangout for college students.

Realizing just how right my parents were about many things.  Also realizing I'll pass the same wisdom down to my child one day and knowing they probably won't appreciate it until they are an adult themselves.

Waking up before 7 and going to bed before 11, even on most Friday and Saturday nights.

When hanging out with the old group of friends no longer means road trips and late night outings.  Instead it means getting together with friends, their spouses or SO, and their children, usually a get together at somebody's home, a birthday party for one of the children, or an outing at a child friendly restaurant.  It's still a great time.

When I was in my very early 20's, a friend and I swore we would never 'get old'.  We would still love loud music, late nights out, even as we got older.  Of course in our mid-30's now, that all changed and it doesn't bother us a bit.  Being more comfortable in your own skin is a plus of being an adult.

Vall

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
This is going to sound a bit silly but I really felt like an adult when I was allowed to vote for the first time.  By the time that I could vote, I had already been self-supporting and married for two years.  As an emancipated minor, I had the all of the responsibilities and most of the same freedoms as adults.  Except for voting.  I was so proud of having the ability to cast a vote.  It meant a lot to me (and it still does) and I was eager to research and make the best decision that I could.  I'll never forget walking out of the polls with my head held high and a smile on my face.  I felt that I was finally accepted into the adult world because my voice now mattered.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
When you get excited about doing your taxes (well lets say you get excited when you get money back...or just don't owe anything).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
This is going to sound a bit silly but I really felt like an adult when I was allowed to vote for the first time.  By the time that I could vote, I had already been self-supporting and married for two years.  As an emancipated minor, I had the all of the responsibilities and most of the same freedoms as adults.  Except for voting.  I was so proud of having the ability to cast a vote.  It meant a lot to me (and it still does) and I was eager to research and make the best decision that I could.  I'll never forget walking out of the polls with my head held high and a smile on my face.  I felt that I was finally accepted into the adult world because my voice now mattered.

I love this!  I feel the exact same way about voting.  What an incredible feeling!  :)

(Although, I confess, I have a terrible habit of whistling that song from Mary Poppins while I'm standing in line...  "Well done, Sister Suffragettes..." **blush**)