News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 10:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You KNOW You're an Adult When...  (Read 41224 times)

Piratelvr1121

Re: You KNOW You're an Adult When...
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
I enjoy hanging out with college friends and noting the things that have and haven't changed since we hung out back then.   For one, we were all pretty much homebodies so we were far more content to just chill at someone's house to watch movies, play games (board or RPG), drink, or just chat.  So that hasn't changed much, as we still do that.

Though what has changed is that these days we're more likely to get together and cook, instead of going out to eat.  Or the host makes the meal and the guests bring a dessert.   And while our friends haven't had kids yet, we do and we've talked about getting Pirateboy 1 into gaming.   

Another thing, as college kids with more disposable income, we thought nothing of going to see the same movie over and over (Phantom Menace) in theaters and now we look back and wonder why we wasted all that money on it.  Especially since one of us (Me) slept through the pod race every single time.   Now we barely go to any movies together because we're all poor adults.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »

I am happy to say my adult skin still likes loud music and staying out late, and i definitely have more disposable income to spend on fun things like video games, and sushi dinners, and aforementioned loud music. I just made plans today to go to NYC for a concert with a friend ... and she is flying in from the West coast just because she wants to see this band and it's their only US stop.

That's the kind of thing i really like about being an adult. :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »
I can't remember if anyone's posted this yet (or if I've posted it already :P)

but, when you have to find petcare for your dog so you can go somewhere. I think that was when I truly discovered that having a pet can be pretty darned inconvenient, and I was just going to have be an adult and deal with it because it's part of the privilege of being an adult and choosing to own a pet.

Just like when I discovered that having a well-trained dog is WORK. Mom did all that, just like Mom always found a pet-sitter. Now I have to make sure Mudkips has a place to stay, and make sure his information sheet is up to date, and that we pack his food and toys and sweaters and leash and and and and.....

It's especially difficult when we're trying to go to an SCA event and our usual sitter is also a member :P Then we have to call my in-laws and that's always a pain because they have a doggie door and 'why can't Mudkips just use the doggie door like Lucy?' Because Mudkips lives in an apartment and is used to barking at me and then going out on leash, that's why! And he has lovely leash manners; he's trained to sit and stay to take the leash off, and he's great with that. But he just can't get the hang of the doggie door.

And yet I swear they were offended when we had a friend watch him instead (her dog goes out on leash and she's used to crating. It just made more sense). Who knew I'd have to deal with offending my in-laws just because I got a dog??

Thipu1

« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
My own moment when I realised I was Adult, was the first time a parent said to their toddler who was about to toddle into me; "Mind the lady". Not the girl. The Lady. Oh Gourd I'm a lady now.  ::)

Yeah, or when the teenage cashier calls you ma'am. I could have sworn I wasn't that old...

[/quote]

I got "Ma'amed" last year when I worked at Target as a cashier. I was 18 and I was hearing it from kids who had never seen the 90's.
[/quote]

May I offer a slightly different view that's equally disturbing.

I'm 63 and look it.  I don't know how many times young shop assistants, both male and female, have called me 'Miss' lately. 

What's up with that?

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »
One of your favorite bands is coming into town- and you are not going to see them because you have seen them before and you would rather spend the money in other things, such as a vacation to a place you have never been to.
I have pet mice!

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »
When the RV that you've wanted (but couldn't afford when you were 20) is finally financially doable -- and you look at the price for a new one and think "We could stay in a lot of motels and eat a lot of restaurant meals for that kind of price, and not have to cook and clean at all!" so you don't get it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gabrielle

« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
A serious one...

When a devastating earthquake hits your city and you realise Mum & Dad aren't here to organise food or get things going again. Having to worry about whether your student loan payment will come through after the earthquake because otherwise there isn't going to be food in the house.

Disasters make me want to let Mum and Dad take charge because clearly they are the adults and they have a magic wand to make things better.
Except not really and now I'm the adult!

(things are not too bad for me though, BF and I left town after a couple days anyway)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »
When the RV that you've wanted (but couldn't afford when you were 20) is finally financially doable -- and you look at the price for a new one and think "We could stay in a lot of motels and eat a lot of restaurant meals for that kind of price, and not have to cook and clean at all!" so you don't get it.

And by not getting it, you don't have to worry about where to park it when you're not using it!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
Weh you realize that in a very short time, you will have a totally empty nest.  :'(
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
Weh you realize that in a very short time, you will have a totally empty nest.  :'(

Awwww!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »
It's just starting to hit me that my baby is turning 18 and will be leaving for college. I feel older than Methuselah. (sp?)
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

January Girl

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
...when you buy shoes based on comfort, not style. Don't get me wrong I still have the sky high heels and boots...but those are for occasions when I'm not doing alot of standing!

...when it's 10:00 on a work night and you can barely keep your eyes open...bed is calling.

...when you go to the grocery store with a list, a plan and coupons in a jogging suit instead of in a going out outfit to buy beer, wine and snacks for the pre-party.

...when you actually STOP texting and get off the phone in line for the bank/pharmacy/bakery, etc.

...when you buy meat in bulk because it's cheaper and you have a meal plan for the week.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
...when you buy shoes based on comfort, not style. Don't get me wrong I still have the sky high heels and boots...but those are for occasions when I'm not doing alot of standing!

...when it's 10:00 on a work night and you can barely keep your eyes open...bed is calling.

...when you go to the grocery store with a list, a plan and coupons in a jogging suit instead of in a going out outfit to buy beer, wine and snacks for the pre-party.

...when you actually STOP texting and get off the phone in line for the bank/pharmacy/bakery, etc.

...when you buy meat in bulk because it's cheaper and you have a meal plan for the week.

I've been cloned!  Or maybe I'm your clone? 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
A friend posts a pic of assorted donuts on Facebook and your first thought is "ewwww".

Someone brings cupcakes at work and you easily ignore them.

You are told you need a medical treatment, and your first reaction is "how much does it cost?" instead of crying.

First thing you do when you get paid is pay off as many bills as possible.

The last time you ate too much and gained weight, it involved hummus and not something sweet.

The Chai gelato is much more appealing than the triple chocolate ice cream.

Almost all the foods in the fried pickle threads are things you cannot have and do not want anyway.

A friend mentions having a candy bar and milkshake for breakfast...and you remember when you were 12 and not only liked them but were able to have one at a time per day.

OK, so I do not have a sweet tooth. It is hereditary. But things that I found delicious as a child or teen are now unappealing at best.
I have pet mice!

purplemuse

• This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:53 AM »
Your idea of a fun Saturday is going to a cooking demonstration.