Author Topic: You KNOW You're an Adult When...  (Read 23284 times)

Delia DeLyons

Re: You KNOW You're an Adult When...
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
     When you have serious talks with your SO on how to get more fiber into your diets.
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
When you get *excited* about new appliances. Why, yes I do love my W&D that we bought 6 months ago!

When there no longer is such a thing as "sleeping in." (Maybe in a few years w/the kid is older).

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
When you get an unexpected bit of extra money and think of which bill you want to pay with it, or about putting it into savings instead of blowing it on a pair of shoes.

When you look at your bank account and think "crud, I only have $200 left until next payday" after you've paid the monthly bills, and not "whoo, I have $200 left, I'm going to the mall!"

When you have to purchase and be responsible for your health insurance and car insurance..and when you buy your first home owner's insurance policy.

When you look forward to seeing what coupons are in the Sunday paper, and get excited when there's a good one on something you use.

When you have to tell kids to stay off your lawn..and you mean it.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 09:19:51 PM »
While watching Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, you're thinking"I'd be pretty PO'ed if my husband arranged to be out of town every year on our anniversary!"

(According to the story, Santa and his wife got married on Christmas Eve and that was the day Santa later decided to make his yearly toy delivery.)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 01:40:49 AM »
When the car breaks down it's your nickel.

When the hot water heater goes belly-up in a home you own, it's your nickel.

When the cats need to go to the vet for their yearly once-over and shots, it's your nickel.

I remember when gas was less than 20 cents a gallon (mid 1960s) and I remember my mother complaining about having to pay 32 cents for a gallon of gas:  "32 cents for a gallon of gas!  That's highway robbery!"  Mom passed away in 1988; I wonder what she'd say about $3 a gallon.  (Actually, I know what she'd say, and I can't repeat it here because it'll never make it past the filters.) 

While I've never yelled at kids to get off my lawn, I have told them to get out of my yard or not to play on my porch. 

HushHush

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
When a strict Mom Look gets a couple of a random 12-13 yr old boys to stop swearing in front of 8 yr old ds and apologize.  With a ma'am and everything!

kitty-cat

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 02:09:13 PM »
When a strict Mom Look gets a couple of a random 12-13 yr old boys to stop swearing in front of 8 yr old ds and apologize.  With a ma'am and everything!

Nice! So far my adult look only works on todlers who are standing in shopping carts. And I haven't tried it in a while...

NE Florida

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
When you learn that, as much as you may want something, NOW may not be the best time to get it.  And you think you might be okay with that.

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2010, 12:19:07 AM »
ALL of the abovementioned!

Going to Lowe's never did anything for me until we bought our house....now I just drool when I go in there.

Instead of spending discretionary cash on cd's and movies I daydream about new sheets, new flooring, painting our rooms....going online to look at furniture....

Getting excited if I get to stay up past my usual bed time and then going to bed at my usual bed time.

Thinking about buying more clothes for work instead of clothes for going out clubbing.

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
When you're the one who has to decide what to do in an emergency. Or if the situation you're in is an emergency (My cat ate some curling ribbon yesterday, and its reappearance was startling, to say the least). When you have other people or creatures depending on you, and you have to decide what's best for them.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
When, after a burglary, you feel like Calvin's Dad

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »
ALL of the abovementioned!

Going to Lowe's never did anything for me until we bought our house....now I just drool when I go in there.

Instead of spending discretionary cash on cd's and movies I daydream about new sheets, new flooring, painting our rooms....going online to look at furniture....

Getting excited if I get to stay up past my usual bed time and then going to bed at my usual bed time.

Thinking about buying more clothes for work instead of clothes for going out clubbing.

DH and I spent so much time and money at Lowe's when we bought our house. We'd go two or three times a day sometimes.

DH was excited when we bought a matching couch and loveseat from Ashley furniture..because in his entire life, he'd never once had matching furniture. His parents were so poor that their furniture was usually salvaged or bought secondhand, and it never matched.

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 03:07:37 PM »
...being sick no longer means getting to curl up in bed/on the couch, with blankies and TV, and someone bringing you hot tea and soup, so you can rest and get well.

Instead, it means hacking and sneezing your way through 4 loads of laundry, 2 loads of dishes, cleaning the kitchen, making dinner for everyone, and getting your own NSFW-ing soup and tea. 

Or hauling your wheezing carcase down to the grocery store for orange juice, 7-up, and Chloraseptic, if you don't want to go without. 

Or going to work anyway because you're out of sick time and don't want to lose your job.

I never realized how much nicer it was to be sick when I was a kid, until I became a grownup.  :'(

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
...being sick no longer means getting to curl up in bed/on the couch, with blankies and TV, and someone bringing you hot tea and soup, so you can rest and get well.

Instead, it means hacking and sneezing your way through 4 loads of laundry, 2 loads of dishes, cleaning the kitchen, making dinner for everyone, and getting your own NSFW-ing soup and tea. 

Or hauling your wheezing carcase down to the grocery store for orange juice, 7-up, and Chloraseptic, if you don't want to go without. 

Or going to work anyway because you're out of sick time and don't want to lose your job.

I never realized how much nicer it was to be sick when I was a kid, until I became a grownup.  :'(

Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
Realizing there is a problem with your bank account and that you have to go to the teller, explain the problem and figure out how to solve it.

(Bonus points if you are the parent watching  your 19yo dd do this for herself.)  :)