Author Topic: You KNOW You're an Adult When...  (Read 21862 times)

zoidberg

Re: You KNOW You're an Adult When...
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
... you just sold your very first own car because it would have cost more to repair it than it was worth, but inside you just died a little.

:'(

RIP, Captain Blue.

(It was a tiny blue car with one white wing mirror and I swear I had to repair the exhaust 10 times because it kept falling off but it was my very first own car and I drove it for over 10 years and I loved it... oh man, now I'm gonna cry for real)

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »
... you just sold your very first own car because it would have cost more to repair it than it was worth, but inside you just died a little.

:'(

RIP, Captain Blue.

(It was a tiny blue car with one white wing mirror and I swear I had to repair the exhaust 10 times because it kept falling off but it was my very first own car and I drove it for over 10 years and I loved it... oh man, now I'm gonna cry for real)

Yep. This. We're in the process of selling my 10yo car because its just not worth it to fix it. It's worth maybe $500 because of possible frame damage due to an accident (while my parents owned it so I'm not sure about the frame damage) and we were quoted $2000 to fix the AC and automatic locks. It was still driveable at that point, just inconvenient and uncomfortable in summer, so we declined that offer! But then they said there was also water damage to the electrical system from a flood, but they couldn't give us a quote until things stopped working. And the brakes needed replacing (we already knew that). So, $2000+ at this point. And the plates were about to expire, and it needed a whole new windshield to pass inspection.

So we decided to sell it for parts. For a whole whopping $150. And that was probably going to be the best offer. I need to arrange for them to come get it now that the holidays are over.

And then the really adult part comes in: we're not replacing it because we don't technically *need* a second car right now, and can't afford one, so we're sharing my husband's car. And I hate it because I'm stuck at home all the time now because for most of the year I was the only one of my friends who had a working vehicle. And now, if I do want to go somewhere, I have to do it around my husband's work schedule, and he goes to work at 3. So I have to basically cut my day in half to drive him to work if I want the car.

And it sucks, and I want my car back. But we're responsible adults now, so we share the one we can afford.

Ya know, sometimes being a grown up sucks.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »
Your wish-list for your new house includes an area rug and front-loading washing machine.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Cutenoob

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
You type out a What You Need To Know When You Move Out list for a kid.
(how to sign up for elec, what services are necessary, where/how to get food if you're out...survival mechanisms)

You start valuing your "Common Sense and Practicality" so much more.

You sit down once a week, type in bills to Quicken and find out if you'll have any extra money..or to rearrange the payments so you can get diapers/supplies.

You tell everyone going out tonite (NYE) to drive safe and be careful.

You roll your eyes at wearing heels and spiffy shoes, and select very bland sneakers - they are comfortable.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »
Apparently from another thread, it is when you are pregnant and every gift you receive for Christmas and your birthday is for the baby, and you are thrilled!

Yes I did and I was. DD was born in January, three days after my birthday.

boxy

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »
You realize the car you've been driving for 22 years is now worth more to keep running than buying new.  It's fully depreciated (a term you now understand), is cheaper to insure (since you're actually saving for retirement this takes on new meaning), and you don't care where you park since all the doors are already dented.  You realize if you get in a wreck and it's totaled, financially it's no big deal though if you get in a wreck and YOU are totaled it could mean a prolonged and uncomfortable hospital stay.

The smell of "new car" no longer makes your tummy tingle in delight or a smile break across your face.  Instead, all you see is the ginormous payment coupon book.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
You look at the next generation's clothing and go "tsk, tsk."

Ditto with their music and movies.

You are appalled when a younger person tells you s/he has never seen a B&W movie.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
     Got cash for Christmas and was slightly disappointed, because it meant I would likely put it towards food and gas versus if it had been an actual gift... like cookware... which I *really* wanted  :P

When you take a nap on New Year's Eve so you can make it to midnight...LOL.... and when staying home on New Year's Eve isn't shameful, but enviable!
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

lilfox

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
When you're willing to sacrifice nice vacations in warm locations to pay off a major house renovation.  And, to be honest, are more excited about the New Master Bathroom  ;D  than any ol' beach trip.

When you're truly disappointed that you *didn't* get an electric can opener for Christmas to replace the one you got years ago (as a Christmas gift that at the time was only lukewarmly received).

Mrs.E

• AKA: Micha, SoontobeMrs.E
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
When you are in charge of the family budget.

When you brag to whoever will listen how much you saved at the grocery store and what bill you will pay with it.

When you start wanting what your mom gets for Christmas, and begging for her old stuff.

When you look down at the 10 month old in your arms and never want to leave him.

Akka

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
When you have to clean up all kinds of discusding messes, and you cannot say ewwwww and run away

When you are responsible for getting out of bed in the morning and being ready on time

When you have to cook for yourself, or you will be hungry

When your parents start depending on you, rather than the other way round

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
When you look down at the 10 month old in your arms and never want to leave him.

and when 18 years later you let him go and are confident he will do well because you did your best for him.

zoidberg

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2011, 08:02:11 AM »

Yep. This. We're in the process of selling my 10yo car because its just not worth it to fix it. It's worth maybe $500 because of possible frame damage due to an accident (while my parents owned it so I'm not sure about the frame damage) and we were quoted $2000 to fix the AC and automatic locks. It was still driveable at that point, just inconvenient and uncomfortable in summer, so we declined that offer! But then they said there was also water damage to the electrical system from a flood, but they couldn't give us a quote until things stopped working. And the brakes needed replacing (we already knew that). So, $2000+ at this point. And the plates were about to expire, and it needed a whole new windshield to pass inspection.

So we decided to sell it for parts. For a whole whopping $150. And that was probably going to be the best offer. I need to arrange for them to come get it now that the holidays are over.

And then the really adult part comes in: we're not replacing it because we don't technically *need* a second car right now, and can't afford one, so we're sharing my husband's car. And I hate it because I'm stuck at home all the time now because for most of the year I was the only one of my friends who had a working vehicle. And now, if I do want to go somewhere, I have to do it around my husband's work schedule, and he goes to work at 3. So I have to basically cut my day in half to drive him to work if I want the car.

And it sucks, and I want my car back. But we're responsible adults now, so we share the one we can afford.

It *does* suck, doesn't it? As long as SO and I have been together (10 years), we've both had our own car. SO had to give his own car up in order to buy the "family car" last year (but he didn't complain, cause the new (used but new for us  :P) car had a lot more power than his old car. And now we only have the family car. It means giving up a bit of freedom and it also means giving up something I dearly loved. But yeah, being a grown up, you have to make choices that aren't easy.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
When shopping at your favorite department store, you bypass the shoes and clothes in order to go to the bed and bath section and spend your shopping budget on washcloths, hand towels, and a new rug.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »

It *does* suck, doesn't it? As long as SO and I have been together (10 years), we've both had our own car. SO had to give his own car up in order to buy the "family car" last year (but he didn't complain, cause the new (used but new for us  :P) car had a lot more power than his old car. And now we only have the family car. It means giving up a bit of freedom and it also means giving up something I dearly loved. But yeah, being a grown up, you have to make choices that aren't easy.

Yep. It's even making finding a job difficult, because DH works 3pm-11pm, and has classes. So I really can't get a typical office job. He doesn't get a lunch break so we can't arrange to switch the car around. Or it would be really hard, at any rate. Of course, then we could afford a second car! I'm actually going to apply for a volunteer position that I think is located here in Memphis (if not, they have a relocation stipend and it's right after he graduates so we could move no problem), and it comes with a stipend, so we could lease a car for the year.

This volunteer thing makes me feel grownup: the stipend will help with bills, I'll get an education award toward paying off my loans, and it will help my resume. I didn't use to have to think about things like that.