News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 08:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You KNOW You're an Adult When...  (Read 41146 times)

Mrs.E

• AKA: Micha, SoontobeMrs.E
Re: You KNOW You're an Adult When...
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »
When you look down at the 10 month old in your arms and never want to leave him.

and when 18 years later you let him go and are confident he will do well because you did your best for him.

*Tear* Don't get me started, I am teary eyed planning his first birthday party! :-\

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:55 PM »
Got this in my email today.
It is perfect for this thread!

*** Adult Truths ***

1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

2.. Nothing is worse than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How on earth are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.

14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Iffy Neighbourhoods" routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a rude person from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.

22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time.

"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

HeebyJeebyLeebee

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
White Dragon, I think I love you!
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Xallanthia

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »

1. Find a corner.  Stick your hand all the way up into it (to the end of the seam)

2. Find the next corner to the right.  Stick it into the corner you already have, so the seams line up.

3. Repeat for the next 2 corners.

4. Lay flat.  You now have roughly rectangular object with 2 sides of the rectangle overlapped by material that covers the sides of the mattress.

5. Fold in thirds the long way, then in half the short way.  You now have an object that is about the same size as your flat sheet, folded.

If you do this really expertly people will look at both and go "which is the fitted sheet?"  I've never achieved this level of perfection, but it looks OK in my closet.

esteban

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
Fitted sheets go on the bed silly.   If they are in the closet you are doing something horribly wrong.

Don't tell me you are supposed to have more than 1 sheet set for the bed, that is just silly talk.
The artist formerly known as deadbody

kitty-cat

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
Of that list, #11 is soooo me.

Since starting HS, the only time I haven't wanted to take a nap at about 3pm was during summer and winter break from school. Well, that and during break I can actually take a nap if I'm tired. (then again, my thyroid pills have helped too :P)

You know you're a grown-up when:

You spend 3 hours in the library on campus on the computer and you only get on Facebook once and that was to check how to spell Panhellenic.

NE Florida

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2011, 03:46:18 AM »
When you are a kid, you wish you could just have cookies for dinner.

When you are older, you are happy because you can have cookies for dinner.

When you are old and cranky, you get depressed because there is nothing in the house but cookies for dinner. ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
White Dragon, I think I love you!

{grin - blush}
Thank you.
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

HeebyJeebyLeebee

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

1. Find a corner.  Stick your hand all the way up into it (to the end of the seam)

2. Find the next corner to the right.  Stick it into the corner you already have, so the seams line up.

4. Lay flat.  You now have roughly rectangular object with 2 sides of the rectangle overlapped by material that covers the sides of the mattress.

5. Fold in thirds the long way, then in half the short way.  You now have an object that is about the same size as your flat sheet, folded.

If you do this really expertly people will look at both and go "which is the fitted sheet?"  I've never achieved this level of perfection, but it looks OK in my closet.

I do this.  Xallanthia explained it really well.  I'm not quite that good as to disquise which is the fitted sheet.  At least the fitted sheets that are in the linen closet don't get nearly as wrinkly as they do when Sweet Pattootie wads them up into a ball.

My Dad used to be really good at folding fitted sheets, but it involved using the entire floor of the formal living room (piano bench moved out of the way).  He likes my way better - still a little wrinkly, but but much faster and can be done standing up.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Xallanthia

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »

I do this.  Xallanthia explained it really well.  I'm not quite that good as to disquise which is the fitted sheet.  At least the fitted sheets that are in the linen closet don't get nearly as wrinkly as they do when Sweet Pattootie wads them up into a ball.

My Dad used to be really good at folding fitted sheets, but it involved using the entire floor of the formal living room (piano bench moved out of the way).  He likes my way better - still a little wrinkly, but but much faster and can be done standing up.

You know now that I think about it, *I* can always tell which is the fitted sheet, but I've fooled DH a few times.

arkzak

« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
*Joining the White Dragon fan club*

I just read about seven of these to DH (while he was hopping up and down going "I was actually on the way to the bathroom... oh go on, tell me another")... and we both identified with EVERY SINGLE ONE.

My own moment when I realised I was Adult, was the first time a parent said to their toddler who was about to toddle into me; "Mind the lady". Not the girl. The Lady. Oh Gourd I'm a lady now.  ::)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »

I just read about seven of these to DH (while he was hopping up and down going "I was actually on the way to the bathroom... oh go on, tell me another")... and we both identified with EVERY SINGLE ONE.

My own moment when I realised I was Adult, was the first time a parent said to their toddler who was about to toddle into me; "Mind the lady". Not the girl. The Lady. Oh Gourd I'm a lady now.  ::)

Yeah, or when the teenage cashier calls you ma'am. I could have sworn I wasn't that old...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kitty-cat

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »

Yeah, or when the teenage cashier calls you ma'am. I could have sworn I wasn't that old...

I got "Ma'amed" last year when I worked at Target as a cashier. I was 18 and I was hearing it from kids who had never seen the 90's.

NE Florida

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »
Fitted sheets go on the bed silly.   If they are in the closet you are doing something horribly wrong.

Don't tell me you are supposed to have more than 1 sheet set for the bed, that is just silly talk.

Or you can do what a guy friend of mine used to do...he just put all his fitted sheets on the bed and he peeled them off as needed  ;D.  (I think he had 3 sets....maybe 4)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bluenomi

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
When you realise you are someone's mummy and always will be. I still can't really believe they just let me walk out of the hospital with a human.

When your big night out away from said child involveds sitting around a friend's place drinking tea and discussing home renovations. Man, when did we get old?