Author Topic: Does Oprah think we're dirty?  (Read 8421 times)

dizzygoround

• happy happy bunny
Does Oprah think we're dirty?
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:24:15 AM »
As you may or may not know, Oprah is currently in Australia. This, of course, is big news down here, and every day there is extensive news coverage of where she has been, what she's done, whom she's met etc.

My question is... did anyone else see the speech she made to a crowd in Melbourne? I can't find a video of it, but she said something along the lines of "I want to thank you all for getting up early, taking the trouble to shower..." there was more, but I remember just thinking "What?? She's thanking people for showering? Does she not think we do that every day anyway?"

I don't know, it was weird, she seemed to really emphasise the showering thing. Did anyone else see it? Was there some extra context to it that I missed? Or does she really think we Aussies only bathe on special occasions? :-\

Daydream

Re: Does Oprah think we're dirty?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
I wasn't aware she was visiting Australia (I'm in the US) but, without hearing her, I would just think she meant "thank you for getting up earlier than you normally might and taking the trouble to get ready to come see me make this speech."

I've found a few clips on YouTube but haven't heard the showering bit yet.  I have one video running in the background right now on my computer that seems like it might feature the whole speech, so I'll keep listening and see if my opinion changes when/if I hear that part.

Daydream

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:18:49 AM »
Okay, I've heard the part about showering now and it sounds like what I suspected.  It seems to be in keeping with her usual sense of humor and I think she would have said it anywhere she might have been visiting.  I'll put the link to the video below. Her speech starts at the 4:30 mark.  She's exclaiming that she's never had a welcome like that before and thanks the crowd because they "supported this show and cared enough to get up and shower, find something to wear, and come down here to Federation Square." 

People in the audience laughed when she paused after shower, just like I would expect her talk show audience or other crowds would.  At first, after reading your post, I thought it might be a cultural difference that audiences in the US would laugh at that when Australians would not, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've seen some people say online that they shower at night, or don't shower every day due to dry skin issues or other reasons.   She might be aware of that as well.  But, because I'm someone who showers every morning as part of my "wake up and get ready for the day" routine, I still tend to think of that as a "general basic morning routine," and she may think that way as well.

Here's the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCNrJgV0C4

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »
Yeah I know she's visiting Australia. My guess is that it's a joke that kind of fell flat. I can see that being made as a joking comment, but I can also see some people not getting it, and if you're like me you don't think it's all that funny. I mean I get it but I don't think it's funny.

Ed.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
As you may or may not know, Oprah is currently in Australia. This, of course, is big news down here, and every day there is extensive news coverage of where she has been, what she's done, whom she's met etc.

My question is... did anyone else see the speech she made to a crowd in Melbourne? I can't find a video of it, but she said something along the lines of "I want to thank you all for getting up early, taking the trouble to shower..." there was more, but I remember just thinking "What?? She's thanking people for showering? Does she not think we do that every day anyway?"

I don't know, it was weird, she seemed to really emphasise the showering thing. Did anyone else see it? Was there some extra context to it that I missed? Or does she really think we Aussies only bathe on special occasions? :-\

This is the first I've heard about it. I'm from Melbourne and I find that offensive.
Who the hell does she think she is? Why the fuss about her? I agree with Master_Edward, it's not funny at all.
Stewart/Colbert '16

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »
I watched the video, and I don't think she was being insulting at all. I took her statement to mean that she was grateful people took the time out of their busy day to get up, shower, and find something to wear, just to see her. I think it's looking for offense to say that she was calling Australian's dirty.

I don't even think it was meant as a joke. Just as a statement about how much the people cared about seeing her.

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
To me, it seems not at all culturally mocking, but more of a... hyperbolic joke? Like, we all know it's not really time costly/trouble to shower, so the joke is commenting as if it is. Like if I said to a friend to lived down the street "thanks for coming all the way here". Or said "thanks for taking the time to read this" about a 3 line email.

Since I know of no cultural stereotype of people calling Australians "dirty", it seems a stretch to see it as an insult. It's not terribly hilarious but is just a light, silly joke.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »
I watched the video, and I don't think she was being insulting at all. I took her statement to mean that she was grateful people took the time out of their busy day to get up, shower, and find something to wear, just to see her. I think it's looking for offense to say that she was calling Australian's dirty.

I don't even think it was meant as a joke. Just as a statement about how much the people cared about seeing her.
I agree. I think one would be overly sensitive to be upset at that. She was just appreciating that people cared enough to get up and get ready so early in the morning to see her.

I also don't find "who the *#&$ does she think she is?" to be appropriate on an etiquette board.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »

I agree. I think one would be overly sensitive to be upset at that. She was just appreciating that people cared enough to get up and get ready so early in the morning to see her.

I also don't find "who the *#&$ does she think she is?" to be appropriate on an etiquette board.

I agree. I think that reaction is way OTT.

vinyl

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
I'd say she does'nt really know her audience in this case - Melbourne has only just had some pretty long term water restrictions lifted.
We are a drought country, and her comment seems a bit silly. Maybe she just opened her mouth without understanding what was coming out. It's  pretty human to do that.

Off topic, I did NOT shower for Oprah on Friday :P And fortunatley I missed the crowds for her visit (I work near where she was.

Edited to add - It's pretty humid here. I can see how visitors from more gentle climates might think we would WANT to shower more?
I just think she stuffed up.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:17:51 AM by vinyl »

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »

This is the first I've heard about it. I'm from Melbourne and I find that offensive.
Who the hell does she think she is? Why the fuss about her? I agree with Master_Edward, it's not funny at all.

That's kind of an extreme reaction.

Really, I can totally see someone saying this meaning 'gee, thanks so much for taking the trouble to get up earlly and get yourselves ready and drive all the way here just to see me/participate in this thing/do whatever, when you could have been sleeping in all comfortable in your pjs.'

I honestly don't see the big deal.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 01:20:52 AM »
Did I hear that right, 4:30 am?  Local time?  A shower beforehand would be a big major ordeal.  I'd be proud of anything better than non-clashing clothing, one eye open and deodorant.  So, I'd appreciate the compliment. 

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 01:26:48 AM »
Did I hear that right, 4:30 am?  Local time?  A shower beforehand would be a big major ordeal.  I'd be proud of anything better than non-clashing clothing, one eye open and deodorant.  So, I'd appreciate the compliment. 

No, that was the min:sec mark for the speech to start on the youtube video. It wasn't *that* early.

But I just listened to the video. The whole quote is more like "I love the fact that you all took the time to get up this morning and shower, find something to wear, and come down to Federation Square, etc etc etc"

It just sounds pretty innocuous.

Amava

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:21 AM »

I agree totally!

I think the title of this topic could even be taken as more offensive than what Oprah said, because it implies that people who do not shower every day are dirty. I'm not offended by it though, just slightly amused.  :)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »
"supported this show and cared enough to get up and shower, find something to wear, and come down here to Federation Square."

Let's take this a ste further. Does Oprah think Australians don't usually wear clothes ("find something to wear") or is that just a joke? The former sounds rather silly, doesn't it?

That is how I interpret the shower part as well - just a jokey comment, which I personally don't find funny, but it is far from imlpying that Australians don't shower. It just illustrate how long it takes for anyone to get ready, specially at 4am!