Author Topic: Does Oprah think we're dirty?  (Read 8178 times)

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
Re: Does Oprah think we're dirty?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »
It was my understanding that her trip arose as a result of an invite/lobby from the Australian government as part of their effort to boost tourism. At least, that's what I heard during an NPR story on their larger effort to increase the tourism industry,

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »
If the message was "Australia, just like home! (and only an expensive flight away)", then it wouldn't do anything for tourism. 

Betelnut

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
Actually, you could argue that what Oprah is doing is patronizing to Americans (U.S. citizens).

She is essentially doing for Australia what she does for books--"ooh, look, I like to read, so should you!  Here is a cool book I like!" and the "great unwashed who haven't picked up a book in their entire adult lives" rush out to the book stores to purchase her latest recommendation.  Those of us who already like to read and love books couldn't care less what book Oprah recommends because we already have a huge backlog of books that "someday" we plan on getting around to reading them.

Those of us who like to travel, are interested in other cultures and people and who are aware of the world, already know a lot about Australia and, some of us (me), would love to go there someday.  I don't need Oprah championing Australia to me.

Good on her for promoting books and travel but I personally don't need those things to be promoted to me.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Silversurfer

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
POD POD Betelnut!

I am Australian, and what annoys me the most about the whole Oprah thing is who is paying for it.
The Australian government has contributed MILLIONS of dollars to fund her, and her audiences stay. Qantas paid for the flights. So its not "I am bringing everyone to Australia", but Australia is funding a massive holiday for a bunch of people.

Oh, and i dont think she was insinuating anything about showering / water restiriction/ droughts / being dirty. 

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
POD POD Betelnut!

I am Australian, and what annoys me the most about the whole Oprah thing is who is paying for it.
The Australian government has contributed MILLIONS of dollars to fund her, and her audiences stay. Qantas paid for the flights. So its not "I am bringing everyone to Australia", but Australia is funding a massive holiday for a bunch of people.

Oh, and i dont think she was insinuating anything about showering / water restiriction/ droughts / being dirty. 

Yeah, and then when a reporter asked her this morning where she was headed next, she said: I'm not telling you that, I need a holiday.
Um, you just had one, at taxpayers expense. Good grief.   :o  ::)  ::)
Stewart/Colbert '16

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
I would hardly consider making a string of public appearance and basically marketing a place is a holiday. The tourism office basically hired for a job and she did it (and looking like she is enjoying every moment and everything is perfect is part of that).

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
POD POD Betelnut!

Yeah, and then when a reporter asked her this morning where she was headed next, she said: I'm not telling you that, I need a holiday.
Um, you just had one, at taxpayers expense. Good grief.   :o  ::)  ::)

It seems to me that this isn't a holiday for her - this is a job. She is being shuffled from place to place, making public appearances and speaking to crowds. Sounds exhausting to me and I can certainly understand why she'd need a real break after that!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
POD POD Betelnut!

Um, you just had one, at taxpayers expense. Good grief.   :o  ::)  ::)

It seems to me that this isn't a holiday for her - this is a job. She is being shuffled from place to place, making public appearances and speaking to crowds. Sounds exhausting to me and I can certainly understand why she'd need a real break after that!

It's much like political contenders often need holidays after weeks spent on the road campaigning.  There's nothing relaxing about that sort of trip and being "on" in the spotlight all the time, even when you're being paid to do it.  I'm not sure why people are upset with Oprah about the money; be upset at the government if you feel it's a waste.

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 12:01:43 PM »
POD POD Betelnut!

I get where you're coming from. I'm British, not Australian, but I am very seriously not a fan of Oprah, she is very full of herself. That said, I don't think she was being rude about Australians.
I have a thousand parents. Sadly they
Dissolve in their own virtues and recede.

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
POD POD Betelnut!

You seem to strongly dislike Oprah, and that's fine, but honestly, her wanting a day off from what is to be sure an exhausting *job*, is completely reasonable. It is neither rude nor inappropriate, and is in fact extremely understandable, whether you like her as a person or not.

I just really don't understand the idea that she's cheeky to want a (rather small) break.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
POD POD Betelnut!

This really was more of a business trip than a holiday. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
I'm an Aussie and I don't think she was being offensive or rude. But then again I'm one of those layed back Aussie types  ;)

She was here doing her job, her tour group were on holidays, not her. Apparently she's now in Fiji having an actual holiday.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 06:55:11 AM »
POD POD Betelnut!

Given the massive tourism returns to Australian, I think it's safe to say that we/they are getting a massive return on investment.   That the reason the government invested in it - they certainly weren't just doing her a favour! 

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
Did I hear that right, 4:30 am?  Local time?  A shower beforehand would be a big major ordeal.  I'd be proud of anything better than non-clashing clothing, one eye open and deodorant.  So, I'd appreciate the compliment. 

No, that was the min:sec mark for the speech to start on the youtube video. It wasn't *that* early.

But I just listened to the video. The whole quote is more like "I love the fact that you all took the time to get up this morning and shower, find something to wear, and come down to Federation Square, etc etc etc"

It just sounds pretty innocuous.

Yes, it does sound as she was listing what people need to do to get ready.

123sandy

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
Actually, you could argue that what Oprah is doing is patronizing to Americans (U.S. citizens).

She is essentially doing for Australia what she does for books--"ooh, look, I like to read, so should you!  Here is a cool book I like!" and the "great unwashed who haven't picked up a book in their entire adult lives" rush out to the book stores to purchase her latest recommendation.  Those of us who already like to read and love books couldn't care less what book Oprah recommends because we already have a huge backlog of books that "someday" we plan on getting around to reading them.

Those of us who like to travel, are interested in other cultures and people and who are aware of the world, already know a lot about Australia and, some of us (me), would love to go there someday.  I don't need Oprah championing Australia to me.

Good on her for promoting books and travel but I personally don't need those things to be promoted to me.

Agreed! I found her book club incredibly annoying from the beginning and have never read anything recommended by Oprah's book club. I used to really enjoy her show until one day she was telling the story of how she went to a hotel and had her dogs with her. The hotel didn't allow animals. So she went on and on about how they weren't reaaly dogs but "little people with fur coats on", eventually she did get to stay as did her dogs. I went right off her that day.