Author Topic: Does Oprah think we're dirty?  (Read 7857 times)

Jan74

Re: Does Oprah think we're dirty?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2010, 11:45:19 AM »
Oprah's slogan for Australian tourism should be "Australia: Just exotic enough for a holiday, but where it is safe to drink the water, and everyone speaks English". I think that would work well with her constant "dumbed-down" approach to promote anything, from books to iPads.

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »
Oprah's slogan for Australian tourism should be "Australia: Just exotic enough for a holiday, but where it is safe to drink the water, and everyone speaks English". I think that would work well with her constant "dumbed-down" approach to promote anything, from books to iPads.

POD!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a thousand parents. Sadly they
Dissolve in their own virtues and recede.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »

Well I think you Australia should capitalize on the element of danger!

Australia: everything that moves can kill you!  >:D

Jan74

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »

That would definitely attract younger tourism, but for Oprah's audience, you should emphasize how safe it is, and how the food won't even be that different.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »

LOL. SO wants to go there, just for the scorpions and spiders ::)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »

Australia: everything that moves can kill you!  >:D

Obligatory Last Continent quote ('Fourecks' being the Discworld equivalent of Australia):

The two of them, trailed by the Death of Rats, walked into Death's huge library. There were clouds here, up near the ceiling.

Death held out a hand. I WANT, he said, A BOOK ABOUT THE DANGEROUS CREATURES OF FOURECKS -

Albert looked up and dived for cover, receiving only mild bruising because he had the foresight to curl into a ball.

After a while Death, his voice a little muffled, said: ALBERT, I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD GIVE ME A HAND HERE.

Albert scrambled up and pulled at some of the huge volumes, finally dislodging enough of them to allow his master to clamber free.

HMM... Death picked up a book at random and read the cover. 'DANGEROUS MAMMALS, REPTILES, AMPHIBIANS, BIRDS, FISH, JELLYFISH, INSECTS, SPIDERS, CRUSTACEANS, GRASSES, TREES, MOSSES, AND LICHENS OF TERROR INCOGNITA', he read. His gaze moved down the spine. VOLUME 29C, he added. OH. PART THREE, I SEE.

He glanced up at the listening shelves. POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

They waited.

IT WOULD APPEAR THAT -

"No, wait, master. Here it comes."

Albert pointed to something white zigzagging lazily through the air. Finally Death reached up and caught the single sheet of paper.

He read it carefully and then turned it over briefly just in case anything was written on the other side.

"May I?" said Albert. Death handed him the paper.

"'Some of the sheep'," Albert read aloud. "Oh, well. Maybe a week at the seaside'd be better, then."

~ The Last Continent, Terry Pratchett

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »

Australia: everything that moves can kill you!  >:D

Obligatory Last Continent quote ('Fourecks' being the Discworld equivalent of Australia):

The two of them, trailed by the Death of Rats, walked into Death's huge library. There were clouds here, up near the ceiling.

Death held out a hand. I WANT, he said, A BOOK ABOUT THE DANGEROUS CREATURES OF FOURECKS -

Albert looked up and dived for cover, receiving only mild bruising because he had the foresight to curl into a ball.

After a while Death, his voice a little muffled, said: ALBERT, I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD GIVE ME A HAND HERE.

Albert scrambled up and pulled at some of the huge volumes, finally dislodging enough of them to allow his master to clamber free.

HMM... Death picked up a book at random and read the cover. 'DANGEROUS MAMMALS, REPTILES, AMPHIBIANS, BIRDS, FISH, JELLYFISH, INSECTS, SPIDERS, CRUSTACEANS, GRASSES, TREES, MOSSES, AND LICHENS OF TERROR INCOGNITA', he read. His gaze moved down the spine. VOLUME 29C, he added. OH. PART THREE, I SEE.

He glanced up at the listening shelves. POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

They waited.

IT WOULD APPEAR THAT -

"No, wait, master. Here it comes."

Albert pointed to something white zigzagging lazily through the air. Finally Death reached up and caught the single sheet of paper.

He read it carefully and then turned it over briefly just in case anything was written on the other side.

"May I?" said Albert. Death handed him the paper.

"'Some of the sheep'," Albert read aloud. "Oh, well. Maybe a week at the seaside'd be better, then."

~ The Last Continent, Terry Pratchett

I'm tired of waiting. Marry me!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 12:18:45 AM »
Didn't the Crocodile Hunter do a show on the ten most poisonous snakes in the world, and nine of them were Australian?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 02:10:06 AM »
Didn't the Crocodile Hunter do a show on the ten most poisonous snakes in the world, and nine of them were Australian?

I think all ten, actually.

Alex the Seal

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 06:49:33 AM »
I live in Texas and I've always thought Texans and Aussies have a lot in common.

I'm Aussie and I often think the same thing  :)

Can't comment on the rest of it because I actually managed to miss all the Oprah hype, this thread is the first I knew of her visit!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 07:54:23 AM »

Yup, all ten.  One reason I don't want to visit Australia. ;)

Bluenomi

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »

If it makes you feel better I've lived here for 30 years and have never come across any snake in the wild. At zoos yes but not just hanging out in the suburbs.

Drop bears on the other hand, you've got to watch out for those  ;D ;)  >:D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »

If it makes you feel better I've lived here for 30 years and have never come across any snake in the wild. At zoos yes but not just hanging out in the suburbs.

Drop bears on the other hand, you've got to watch out for those  ;D ;)  >:D

Oh, I know it's highly unlikely, but I'm totally phobic. :)  I'm sure I wouldn't turn down a realistic chance to go there, but that's not likely any time soon!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »
I had a friend that worked there for several years.  He worked in the remote middle.  He got this job when jobs were scarce.  After he accepted, he asked, "So why did the last guy leave?"  Turns out the last guy was camping in some even more remote place.  He was sleeping and a snake bit him in his tent.  He ran, and it ran after him!  They think that he stumbled as he ran, which allowed the snake to get him many more times.  He died. 
I desperately want to go, but I'll stick to underwater or in developed areas. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »
I had a friend that worked there for several years.  He worked in the remote middle.  He got this job when jobs were scarce.  After he accepted, he asked, "So why did the last guy leave?"  Turns out the last guy was camping in some even more remote place.  He was sleeping and a snake bit him in his tent.  He ran, and it ran after him!  They think that he stumbled as he ran, which allowed the snake to get him many more times.  He died. 
I desperately want to go, but I'll stick to underwater or in developed areas. 

Gaaaaaaaaaah. <shudders> They also have the only variety of snake known to stalk humans.  No thank you!