Author Topic: Does Oprah think we're dirty?  (Read 8309 times)

KimberlyRose

Re: Does Oprah think we're dirty?
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2010, 12:39:15 AM »
I'm not sure how many Aussie kids really ran around in 'sun hats' as such either, the most common style of hat I remember was like a baseball cap but with an opaque fabric 'veil' down the back to protect little ears and necks. I think they might be a uniquely Australian invention. And there were the round fabric hats with strings and a toggle to keep them from blowing off.

These are the best pics I could find:
http://headwearpromotions.com.au/products/Slouch_Hat_Poly_Cotton-17-6.html
http://headwearpromotions.com.au/products/Legionnaire_Hat_School-512-10.html

They're not super common, but I've bought kids' legionnaire style hats, once in Indiana and once in England.

Jan74

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2010, 07:04:42 AM »

Although to be honest, to me Oprah comes across as patronizing most of the time - on her show, and just in general. I think it's just her manner. It's very hard to put my finger on, but there's a certain type of talk-show gushiness she has that doesn't go over so well with some Australians. Our 'style' tends to be a little more reticent and therefore she can seem insincere.

I don't think that doesn't work with only Australians. I'm not Australian and I can't take a woman who does a dance and runs around gushing for 3m about a specific popcorn seriously either.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »
I've lived in or visited 13 different countries and 34 different US states, and all have their own unique flavors and cultures.  Even though their everyday lives may be roughly similar, there are a lot of differences in traditions, history, food, leisure activities, etc.  If you're trying to encourage tourism, like Oprah was, then you emphasize those differences, because that's what people who want to travel want to experience.  There's nothing wrong or patronizing in that.

I agree, KenveeB. Although to be honest, to me Oprah comes across as patronizing most of the time - on her show, and just in general. I think it's just her manner. It's very hard to put my finger on, but there's a certain type of talk-show gushiness she has that doesn't go over so well with some Australians. Our 'style' tends to be a little more reticent and therefore she can seem insincere.

That said, I don't think she patronized Australia or Australians in particular, and her visit can only have been a good thing for our country, economically.

I'm American and feel this way about Oprah too.  Her talk show was good when it first started all those many years ago, but I haven't watched in years for the reasons you stated.  Over the years I got the feeling she fell into her own hype and now looks down on us "little people."   Her worshippers fans who blindly follow everything she says just help feed the beast.  Even when she does nice things, I just get a sense that it's for her image; not a sincere desire to do a good thing for the other person.  Like you said, those of us who are not fans can't put our fingers on it but still sense something is just off...

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2010, 11:55:21 AM »
I've lived in or visited 13 different countries and 34 different US states, and all have their own unique flavors and cultures.  Even though their everyday lives may be roughly similar, there are a lot of differences in traditions, history, food, leisure activities, etc.  If you're trying to encourage tourism, like Oprah was, then you emphasize those differences, because that's what people who want to travel want to experience.  There's nothing wrong or patronizing in that.

I agree, KenveeB. Although to be honest, to me Oprah comes across as patronizing most of the time - on her show, and just in general. I think it's just her manner. It's very hard to put my finger on, but there's a certain type of talk-show gushiness she has that doesn't go over so well with some Australians. Our 'style' tends to be a little more reticent and therefore she can seem insincere.

That said, I don't think she patronized Australia or Australians in particular, and her visit can only have been a good thing for our country, economically.

I'm American and feel this way about Oprah too.  Her talk show was good when it first started all those many years ago, but I haven't watched in years for the reasons you stated.  Over the years I got the feeling she fell into her own hype and now looks down on us "little people."   Her worshippers fans who blindly follow everything she says just help feed the beast.  Even when she does nice things, I just get a sense that it's for her image; not a sincere desire to do a good thing for the other person.  Like you said, those of us who are not fans can't put our fingers on it but still sense something is just off...

The fact that she puts *herself* on the cover of her magazine every month speaks volumes about her, I think.