Author Topic: Homemade granola  (Read 553 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Homemade granola
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
I love granola.  But the storebought stuff that's somewhat healthy also costs an arm and a leg.  Does anyone have a simple, healthy recipe I can use?  I haven't looked around too hard, but what I've found is loaded with sugar.  I'd like something that can be made in pretty large batches, and something without honey would be even better; that way the baby can eat it, too.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Homemade granola
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 04:25:18 AM »

I've recently been getting into this, and it's cheap and tastes orders of magnitudes better than what you buy in the store.

You need some sugar to get the texture and meld the flavours, but you can use honey, or maple syrup rather than white sugar. If you don't use the sugar, what you get is toasted mixed nuts and oats rather than a granola.

I find that about 3 cups oats (whole, not instant) to one cup of mixed nuts or seeds works well, to which you add about 1/2 cup liquid sugar and 1/3 cup vegetable oil.  You can substitute different grains for some of the oats. Dried fruit can be added in at the end as well.

Mix the oats, grains, nuts and any spices. Microwave the honey and oil together until warm, and mix with the dry ingredients. Spread in a single layer in a pan, press down and toast at about 300 F until it starts to go golden. Stir often for a very loose granola and not at all for a clumpy granola. Dried fruit gets added right at the end.

For a good Christmassy version

- 2 1/2 cups regular oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup raw millet (adds a lovely crunch)
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- the zest of one orange, scrape the pith off, finely julienne and cut into ~ 1cm lengths
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1/4 t powdered cloves
- 1/4 t powdered nutmeg
- 1/2 cup  maple syrup (low grade is fine)
- 1 tablespoon molasses.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil

Mix everything but the sugar and oil. Microwave the sugar and oil until warm, toss and cook.

The millet gives a lovely crunch and the orange peel tastes totally amazing. I made a batch of this and it was so good  we ate it straight.

You can make the batches as big as you want - you can use cookie sheets, and just keep running them through the oven.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »
I love granola.

You need 7 cups of dry ingredients to 1 cup of liquid.  No less than half of the dry stuff should be rolled oats.  The rest can be other grains, wheat germ / bran, corn meal, soy meal, other dry cereal, dry milk powder, nuts, seeds, coconut, and/or spices.  The liquid can be honey, syrup, molasses, brown or white sugar (add 2T. water for each 1/2 cup sugar), oil, and/or peanut butter.

Combine the dry ingredients, then add the liquid.  Mix.  Bake on large greased pans 30-60 minutes at 300˚F / 150˚C until crunchy but not overly brown.  When cool, add whatever dried fruit suits your fancy.

The more oil or peanut butter, the crunchier it is - you'll find the proportion you like best.  I use about half and half sweetener.  Experiment with flavours.  A favourite of mine is straight oats mixed with walnuts and lots of cinnamon, canola oil & demerara sugar, then I add dried apples.  Almonds & apricots are another mix I like.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
You can use a can of condensed milk to bind the ingredients together.  However I don't know how much sugar there is.  My ratio is 4 cups of dry to the can of condensed milk.

I use a combo of stuff found in the bulk foods of my local organic store.  At the moment it is EarthFare but I heard Whole Foods is coming to a location near me. Yay!

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
You posted a link from "A Year of Slow Cooking" in your other thread, so you may have seen the granola recipe that she posted there.  It does have honey in it, but if you're like me and burn granola every time you make it, you might want to check out her cooking method at least.

Recipe: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-granola-recipe.html

I modified it a bit for myself, I just use 5 cups oatmeal, 1 cup of sliced almonds, and 1 cup of craisins.  Mix with 1 stick of melted butter and 1/2 cup of honey.  It's a bit messy to start with (the honey sticks to the spoon) but even the batch I overcooked a bit didn't taste burnt, which is totally worth the crazy amount of cooking time.