Author Topic: "Miracle" products  (Read 16497 times)

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
"Miracle" products
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
Vinegar has become for me pretty much what Windex was for the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

I use the stuff for general cleaning, regular and diaper laundry and hair conditioner. (I went no-'poo in September and haven't looked back yet...though I do need to do some kind of more intensive conditioning treatment now that it's winter.)

So what is your miracle go-to product?

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Re: "Miracle" products
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »
Palmolive. I've never had it fail as a stain remover, not even with dried-on grease or bloodstains, though it does require a special technique and sometimes take more than one attempt.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Spot Shot!  I feel about it the way M-Theory feels about Palmolive - it's removed every stain I've used it for, including motor oil on a carpet and bloodstains.   
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »
LOVE vinegar!  I, too, use it for everything.

And, don't forget it's compliment - baking soda.  Scrubs a sink better than anything else you can buy on the market.  Can use it to brush your teeth.  Use in combination with the vinegar to unstop a drain.  Deodorizes a litterbox.  AND, you can make cookies with it, too!  (Not with the litterbox one, though, of course!)

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:38:25 PM »
Vinegar has become for me pretty much what Windex was for the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

I use the stuff for general cleaning, regular and diaper laundry and hair conditioner. (I went no-'poo in September and haven't looked back yet...though I do need to do some kind of more intensive conditioning treatment now that it's winter.)

So what is your miracle go-to product?

You know, the Windex w/ Vinegar became my miracle "get the dye from cat food yuks off the carpet" but now that you posted this, I'm thinking I'll try plain old white vinegar.

Also, welcome to the no 'poo world :-)  My hair has been fabulous since I gave up the 'poo in June '09.  My adjustment period was tough, but I was amazed when everything leveled out and get so many complements on my glowing curls  :D
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Ms_Shell

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
No shampoo?  How does that work?  I'm really interested to know!  Do you use vinegar in your hair during the shower or what do you do?  I've actually never heard of it but I'm always interested in tips to make hair look better.  :)
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
And, don't forget it's compliment - baking soda.  Scrubs a sink better than anything else you can buy on the market.  Can use it to brush your teeth.  Use in combination with the vinegar to unstop a drain.  Deodorizes a litterbox.  AND, you can make cookies with it, too!  (Not with the litterbox one, though, of course!)

Oh yeah - baking soda and aluminum foil to remove tarnish from silver!

LeeLee88

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
No shampoo?  How does that work?  I'm really interested to know!  Do you use vinegar in your hair during the shower or what do you do?  I've actually never heard of it but I'm always interested in tips to make hair look better.  :)

Me too!  And about this "adjustment period", how do you think it would carry with short hair?

Ms_Shell

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »

Me too!  And about this "adjustment period", how do you think it would carry with short hair?

Oh, one more question, sorry...my hair/skin is pretty oily, would someone like me have to do anything above and beyond to control oiliness?

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
I recently discovered this one:  mix baking soda and plain moisturizer (like Pond's Dry Skin Cream, or a generic formula) into a paste and use as a super mild exfoliant.  Use a little or a lot for your needs.  I read it Good Housekeeping while looking up product recommendations since I needed a new daily moisturizer and gentle, but inexpensive, exfoliant.  Not scratchy at all, and my face felt very soft.  It helped my chapped lips too.

I even shaved my armpits with the paste (instead of shaving gel).  Sure, my blade was a little dull after, but it needed replacing soon anyway, and my pits were very smooth.  It did a nice job of removing any deodorant gunk, dead skin, and other build up.

And I'm a HUGE fan of using olive oil for daily facial cleansing & makeup removal.  My skin's much more balanced, less raw, and I get far fewer blackheads.  In the summer, I mix it with castor oil, which, oddly enough, is drying.

Pumice stones for kitchen cleaning.  Takes off rust spots when I've not been very nice to my cast iron.  And it completely removed the wicked rust and mineral stain from the kitchen sink when we moved in.  The factory smooth finish is LONG gone from the sink (I think it's original to the house - c. 1960), so I'm not too worried about scratching it, but it picks up stains so quickly and the stone is great for touch ups.  

I love vinegar for removing mineral build, soap scum and stink from my veggie steamer, coffee maker, and other stuff.  I soak a papertowel in vinegar, place it on the veggie steamer's heating element (unplugged of course), and let it sit over night.  I usually put cling wrap over that to keep the rest of the house from smelling like vinegar.  The next morning, the scale easily brushes off with a scrub pad.  I've also put my razor handle in a baggy with vinegar to get rid of the soap scum and mineral deposits.  For coffee makers - run the machine once with vinegar or a vinegar water mix, and then run clean water through it a few times to flush it all out.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:55:30 PM by HeebyJeebyLeebee »
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 01:55:14 PM »
I just started using vinegar!  I put some in the washer when my son washed his bedding.  Got rid of the boy-funk smell when repeated washings weren't working!

I'm interested in the no shampoo, too.  I have to wash daily or it looks dull, flat and greasy.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
Oooh, I bet if it works on "boy funk," it will work on "dog funk."  I'll have to try that.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
Baking soda is my cheap miracle product.  I use it to exfoliate just about everything, although mostly my face when it gets too flaky.  I make a paste with plain water, and it works beautifully.  I also mix it with my shampoo when my hair needs a clarifying wash -- it gets rid of buildup and leaves my hair super shiny and clean.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Ugh - sorry that this will be a slight threadjack - but it's certainly along the lines of "Miracle" for me:

I can only speak for myself... I was fed up with my curly hair being basically a mess and was googling different ideas on how to style/cut/take care of it to make it look better and I came across the "Curly Girl" method of caring for hair, which involved striking shampoo from the routine altogether... bascially, Curly hair is naturally quite dry and so washing it further dries it and strips away all the natural mositure that protects it, so even when you follow with conditioner, it still isn't "at it's best"

Now, I only use conditioner.  I wet my hair, take a nice generous amount of conditioner and massage it into my scalp.  It's the friction that cleans the hair and scalp - not suds.  

In the beginning, for at least two weeks probably more like four - I felt like an oil slick as my scalp was no longer being stripped by shampoo everyday - it was on overdrive!  but after a while, it leveled off (It took ALOT of self control not to give in and start sudsing again).

Now my hair is soft all the time, never oily nor dry and frizzy.  and my curls look the way nature intended.

Try reading the review of this book on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Lorraine-Massey/dp/076115678X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292267208&sr=8-1

I did purchase the book, but if you can look up the basic philosophy on the internet, there's no need to purchase really.

As a side note, I told my stick straight haired friend about it and she was instantly skeptical, but wanted to test it for herself.  She now stopped using shampoo too (had to at least been a year for her) and she doesn't miss it one bit.  YMMV of course....  :D

No... back to those Miracle Products... I adore Murphy's Oil Soap  ;D  dusting, floor cleaning, furniture cleaning... love it!!  And the smell!

ETA:  Just Google no 'poo  and you'll find the baking soda/vinegar techniques as well as stories from those who have tried it.  I personally just go with the conditioner only method, and it works well for me.  Be sure to rinse very well is all.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:32:16 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Millicent

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
I use vinegar for pet smells.

I'll toss some in the laundry to get cat urine smell from an article of clothing or a small area rug. I'll mop the floor under the litter box with it, whatever. It works!

Really, our cat's don't have accidents often but when they do... Thank goodness for vinegar!