Author Topic: "Miracle" products  (Read 16447 times)

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
Re: "Miracle" products
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
Oooh, I bet if it works on "boy funk," it will work on "dog funk."  I'll have to try that.

With two of them in the house, I can definitely vouch for the boy funk removal abilities!!

I tried using olive oil for my face, but it was making me break out.  I pretty much use honey & brown sugar for my face now.  The brown sugar exfoliates and the honey makes my skin feel great!  My bathroom closet is starting to resemble a pantry!

For the no-'poo...my current routine is to mix 1 tbsp of baking soda with a cup of water.  Pour it over my hair and work it in with my fingertips. Rinse well, (and I usually do a comb out at this point to make sure I got it all) and then rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water, about 1:4.  Rinse well with water as cool as I can stand.  I do this once or twice per week.  My hair was doing great with this routine, but now with the cold I am having some problems with dryness and breakage, and snarls, so I'm trying to figure out a good conditioner.  Since I have them in the house all the time I think I'll try egg first!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
Murphy's Oil Soap has commercials that make my hair stand on end with that dumb song, but it's a good product.  We don't have much wood around here (wall to wall very cheap apartment carpeting and cabinets made of pressed sawdust with a piece of wood-grained contact paper on them) or I'd use it more often.

Speaking of very cheap apartment carpeting, does anyone know a cheap way to make said carpeting look decent?

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »
Murphy's Oil Soap has commercials that make my hair stand on end with that dumb song, but it's a good product.  We don't have much wood around here (wall to wall very cheap apartment carpeting and cabinets made of pressed sawdust with a piece of wood-grained contact paper on them) or I'd use it more often.

Speaking of very cheap apartment carpeting, does anyone know a cheap way to make said carpeting look decent?
[/b]

Throw rugs :D
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »
*i also use vinegar for a lot of cleaning. i run a few tablespoons of vinegar in every load of washing (instead of softener).

*I use coconut oil to condition my hair - about 1-2 times per month. i think someone here suggested it to me. makes the hair so nice and soft.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »
For those trying the no 'poo, I'll suggest switching to soap nuts as an in-between, it eases the transition.

Vinegar is one of mine. So are the soap nuts.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 03:10:49 PM »
Uncoated Aspirin - I first used a dilute solution of aspirin in water to keep fungus off my roses. One hot day I absentmindedly spritzed my sweaty face and was amazed to find how well it cleaned my pores. Now I do an aspirin scrub once a week.

I also started using olive oil on my skin shortly thereafter.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
I use vinager for shampooing carpets at home and now here at work. It works SO GOOD! I don't use the commercial carpet shampoo anymore unless the dirt is really bad and then I still go back over it with vinager water. The vinager pulls out all the soap and stuff left behind. I find I only have to shampoo my carpet 1-2 a year instead of every 3-4 months! (we have 5 cats)

For marks and graffitti, I swear by Mr. Clean Magic Erasers! They take out just about anything short of spraypaint (and even that if you catch it while it is still fresh) Crayons, Magic Markers, Ink, Pencil, they just melt right off the walls with almost no work.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »
Natural Miracle Products

I'm going to 11th vinegar.  I mix equal parts vinegar/water and use it as an all-purpose cleaner.  I also degunk the drains every few weeks by putting some baking soda in the drain and chasing it with vinegar.  I close the drain for a few minutes and then run hot water for a few minutes more.  It won't get rid of hair but it will get rid of soap and other goo.

I'm not fully off the 'poo but I have stopped washing my hair every day and I have noticed it's not as fried.  When I do wash, I bought a shampoo that doesn't have sulfates and my hair is much softer and shinier.

I've recently discovered Borax.  We have city water but it's pretty harsh. Borax is supposed to help soften the water and make the detergent work better.  I've definitely noticed a difference in the laundry.  We also throw a scoop into the dishwasher and even the dishes look better.

Castile soap - I got a bar of Dr. Bronners and Oh My Goodness.  My skin is so soft now, even with our crap water.

Fully Loaded Products I Just Love

Magic Eraser
Oxiclean (saved my kids clothes many times over)
Bar Keepers Friend (cleans my stainless steel pans and the sink)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
For those trying the no 'poo, I'll suggest switching to soap nuts as an in-between, it eases the transition.

Vinegar is one of mine. So are the soap nuts.

What are soap nuts??

I wash my hair with plain bar soap from the health food store, and rinse with vinegar. I have allergies and skin issues, and this works a million times better than any shampoo.

I also use essential oils like cinnamon or rosewood for an air freshener. A few drops in a bottle of water and spritz the room - instant scent without the allergies from the chemicals!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
Where do you get essential oils?

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
Where do you get essential oils?

Health food stores!

Everlee

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »
I love home remedy type stuff and keep hearing about going off shampoo.  I would love to try it, but my hair is the oiliest hair you will ever come across.  Even washing it every 24 hours doesn't help.  After about 12 hours it's shiny and itches like I have lice.  I got my hair cut at the beginning of the year and the stylist told me it was some of the worst condition hair she's ever seen.
And then on the flipside, it's insanely oily at the top, but dry and brittle on the bottom...

We also tried vinegar for cleaning, but the whole house smelled like vinegar every time we used it and I'm prone to smell-induced migraines so we had to stop.

Our big revelation lately has been the gum cleaner we use for crayon marks on the walls and paint on the floor.  A little spray of it, quick wipe and they're instantly gone!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
I love home remedy type stuff and keep hearing about going off shampoo.  I would love to try it, but my hair is the oiliest hair you will ever come across.  Even washing it every 24 hours doesn't help.

If you're washing it that often, you've created an endless cycle.  And, this is coming from someone with oily hair as well.

The shampoo is drying out your scalp.  So, the body says, "HEY!  That area's dry!  Gotta produce more oil to make sure there's enough!"  Which makes your hair oily again.  So, you wash again.  Which makes the body say, "........"

You need to cut back on the amount you're washing it.  Even if it is going down to once a day.  If you're washing it more often than that, you're not going to ever get it truly clean.

The hard part is getting through that period of adjustment.  So, you'll have to find an open weekend when you're not doing anything for a couple of days.  Just wash your hair once a day between that time and let it go otherwise.  Even if it's feeling oily.  Just get through a couple of days, and you'll be back on track and not experience so much oiliness.

I made the mistake of overwashing at one time.  And, this is what the stylist told me I had to do.  And, although it wasn't a fun couple of days, it did work.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »

I've recently discovered Borax.  We have city water but it's pretty harsh. Borax is supposed to help soften the water and make the detergent work better.  I've definitely noticed a difference in the laundry.  We also throw a scoop into the dishwasher and even the dishes look better.

I'm also a fan of Borax.  Calgon Water Softener (the powder stuff) is also great at softening water & boosting detergent's effectiveness  Borax has lots of other uses too.  http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »

I'm also a fan of Borax.  Calgon Water Softener (the powder stuff) is also great at softening water & boosting detergent's effectiveness  Borax has lots of other uses too.  http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about

You can also mix Borax with glue and water to make slime :D