Author Topic: "Miracle" products  (Read 16661 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: "Miracle" products
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »
Bon Ami!  Nothing, and I do mean nothing, could get my ancient kitchen sink clean.  Not Soft Scrub with bleach, not baking soda and vinegar, not bleach soaks.  A friend brought over some Bon Ami for me to try on the thing, and I barely even had to scrub.  Sparkling white in seconds.  I nearly fell over dead.

Olive oil and castor oil for skin--both cleansing (face) and moisturizing.  The castor oil penetrates deep into the skin, and the olive oil is really good for it.  Together, they're unbeatable.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »

I've recently discovered Borax.  We have city water but it's pretty harsh. Borax is supposed to help soften the water and make the detergent work better.  I've definitely noticed a difference in the laundry.  We also throw a scoop into the dishwasher and even the dishes look better.

I'm also a fan of Borax.  Calgon Water Softener (the powder stuff) is also great at softening water & boosting detergent's effectiveness  Borax has lots of other uses too.  http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about

I love that stuff.  It does just as good a job as oxyclean for laundry booster and it's much cheaper.  It's great for killing bugs (fleas especially).  

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
My miracle product? Oh, the portrait in my attic, I suppose.

Luci

• Super Hero!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
I see the order information, but what exactly are they?  Little pieces of soap?  I'm not able to tell.  ???

jmarvellous

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »
I see the order information, but what exactly are they?  Little pieces of soap?  I'm not able to tell.  ???

Google seems to indicate that they are actual nuts from a tree that work as a surfactant, good for laundry soap.

There's a wealth of information out there and lots of places to buy them online, but I can't say I've ever seen them for sale, and I do a lot of organic/health food store-type shopping.

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Yay! I found more homemade-beauty-product junkies!  ;)

Honey, for me.  Honey in my tea to coat my throat.  Honey in my facial scrub to moisturize my skin. Diluted honey to fade my age spots. Honey and EVOO to lighten my hair before I henna it...

I also do the no-shampoo thing (yes, I'm a member of TLHC, thanks to another member of this forum who got me started on it) and I haven't used shampoo in nearly 3 years -- the only times I use even a little are when I'm clarifying my hair right before a henna treatment, and even then it's mostly conditioner.

Also a big fan of apple cider vinegar, as a chelating treatment for my hair, as a cleaning product, etc...

Maujer

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
My miracle product? Oh, the portrait in my attic, I suppose.

Well played.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
Ah ha!  Cathy, I just knew it couldn't possibly be taking care of yourself, sunscreen, eating right, exercise, and good skin care! 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »

They are actually nuts. Yes, I feel odd throwing nuts in with the laundry, but they do work. You can also cook them down in a pot and use the liquid (though it spoils after a week unless you can it). I can it in batches that last a week or two (I use it for shampoo, general cleaning, dishes and laundry so I can go through a fair amount).

It seems to work as well as vinegar without as much scent.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
What are soap nuts??

http://www.maggiespureland.com/shop.html

I'm sorrry. I should have made the link go to the home page. If you look in the yellow menu in the left part of the link, it shows the other pages of the site and it is all explained very well on those pages.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet...Epsom Salt.

Great to wash/condition hair with.  Use alone or mix with shampoo/conditioner.
Great to exfoliate/soften face with...mix with a little face cleanser or just water.
Great to soak feet in :)/take baths with.
Can use it to fertilize plants or the lawn.
As a laxative (mix a little with water or apple juice...it is way nasty, but very quick and VERY effective).

Sugar, honey and a few drops of olive oil as a exfoliator/softener...works great on chapped lips/dry skin.

WD 40 http://www.rd.com/home-garden/wow-look-what-wd40-can-do/article24059.html

Baking soda, vinegar and borax.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MizB

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »
Is there a solution of vinegar and water that makes it a good cleaner but not as odiferous?
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Nora

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 02:59:53 AM »
I've used the curly girl method for about 2 years now, and have never had such consistently decent hairdays. No more shampoo for me!

Also a big fan of vinegar and bakingsoda. Use it for all kinds of things from scrubbing the bathroom to personal hygiene/beauty! 
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 07:15:55 AM »
I forgot to add - i use vaseline (the plain white petroleum jelly) for my feet/hands/elbows in winter: smear the stuff over my feet then put on cotton socks, then elbows and hands. go to sleep. wake up to smoooooth hands/feet.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools