Author Topic: "Miracle" products  (Read 16593 times)

Everlee

Re: "Miracle" products
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »
I love home remedy type stuff and keep hearing about going off shampoo.  I would love to try it, but my hair is the oiliest hair you will ever come across.  Even washing it every 24 hours doesn't help.

If you're washing it that often, you've created an endless cycle.  And, this is coming from someone with oily hair as well.

The shampoo is drying out your scalp.  So, the body says, "HEY!  That area's dry!  Gotta produce more oil to make sure there's enough!"  Which makes your hair oily again.  So, you wash again.  Which makes the body say, "........"

You need to cut back on the amount you're washing it.  Even if it is going down to once a day.  If you're washing it more often than that, you're not going to ever get it truly clean.

The hard part is getting through that period of adjustment.  So, you'll have to find an open weekend when you're not doing anything for a couple of days.  Just wash your hair once a day between that time and let it go otherwise.  Even if it's feeling oily.  Just get through a couple of days, and you'll be back on track and not experience so much oiliness.

I made the mistake of overwashing at one time.  And, this is what the stylist told me I had to do.  And, although it wasn't a fun couple of days, it did work.

Ok, I'm always up for a challenge so I started trying this the same day and went down to washing every other day.
I. Am. Miserablleeeeee!!!  My hair is so oily and it's starting to get dandruff.  What am I doing wrong?  I feel like I have little oily bugs crawling around my scalp!

SiotehCat

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »
I gave up shampoo on the day this thread came out also. I have used the baking soda mixture and the apple cider vinegar once since. I used to shampoo every other day. I haven't really noticed my hair being oily though. If anything, if feels kind of dry. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
I love home remedy type stuff and keep hearing about going off shampoo.  I would love to try it, but my hair is the oiliest hair you will ever come across.  Even washing it every 24 hours doesn't help.

If you're washing it that often, you've created an endless cycle.  And, this is coming from someone with oily hair as well.

The shampoo is drying out your scalp.  So, the body says, "HEY!  That area's dry!  Gotta produce more oil to make sure there's enough!"  Which makes your hair oily again.  So, you wash again.  Which makes the body say, "........"

You need to cut back on the amount you're washing it.  Even if it is going down to once a day.  If you're washing it more often than that, you're not going to ever get it truly clean.

The hard part is getting through that period of adjustment.  So, you'll have to find an open weekend when you're not doing anything for a couple of days.  Just wash your hair once a day between that time and let it go otherwise.  Even if it's feeling oily.  Just get through a couple of days, and you'll be back on track and not experience so much oiliness.

I made the mistake of overwashing at one time.  And, this is what the stylist told me I had to do.  And, although it wasn't a fun couple of days, it did work.

Ok, I'm always up for a challenge so I started trying this the same day and went down to washing every other day.
I. Am. Miserablleeeeee!!!  My hair is so oily and it's starting to get dandruff.  What am I doing wrong?  I feel like I have little oily bugs crawling around my scalp!

I have pretty oily hair.  I have never been able to train my hair to be less oily.  Sometimes you just have oily hair.

However, the fact that your scalp is oily, but your ends are dry and brittle tells me your hair is overdry.  Not to venture too much into medical territory, but do you have a decently balanced diet?  Sometimes hair issues like this can indicate a vitamin deficiency or something.  If it's not that, it might be that you're over-shampooing your ends.  I only massage shampoo into my scalp.  Of course it still gets on the ends (I have a bob, so it's unavoidable), but I don't intentionally scrub them.  You ought to be shampooing your roots and conditioning only your ends.

I also use baking soda with my shampoo whenever I notice my hair starting to get icky buildup.  It helps the shampoo get it really clean without stripping it.  Most clarifying shampoos just leave my hair completely stripped and dry.

ETA:  I forgot to add, if you've only given it a few days, it's probably not long enough.  It takes a while.  Again, though, I don't think it's a guarantee that everyone's hair will normalize after a few days of this.  I've tried it before and just looked like a greaseball for a few weeks.  And now I only shower every other day, but I always make sure I don't go out on the days I haven't showered because I look really awful.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:36:46 PM by MrsJWine »

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
I used to shampoo every day.  First I started shampooing my roots only & conditioning my ends only.  Then I started shampooing every other day.  It took a few weeks, but my scalp normalized.  I noticed the dandruff for the first week or two as well. 

After a while, I added in a 2nd day of not shampooing.  Shampoo, no shampoo, no shampoo, shampoo.  Again, it took a while to normalize, but it didn't take as long this time.

Now I'm switching to sulfate-free products. 

I've noticed an improvement in the texture of my hair and it's overall health.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Horace

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »

I. Am. Miserablleeeeee!!!  My hair is so oily and it's starting to get dandruff.  What am I doing wrong?  I feel like I have little oily bugs crawling around my scalp!

I also use the curly girl method on my permed hair as I find it leaves it looking soooo much better.  Are you still washing with shampoo or just conditioner? If your scalp is itching it may not be dandruff, I can't remember the technical term but it just be a build-up of "stuff" on your scalp.  I find that I get this quite a lot so I do a brown sugar scrub on my scalp - mix up half a cup of coarse brown sugar and enough conditioner/shampoo (whichever you use) to make it into a paste and apply to wet or dry hair, making sure to rub it into your scalp.  I find this leaves my scalp feeling nice and clean for a good couple of days.  Sorry for the slight threadjack.

Back on topic: I find that using vinegar really helps to clean the doors of our shower stall.  I also use one of these window cleaner things to clean off the soap/moisture after each shower and I've found that it really cuts down on the cleaning.

Bicarbonate of soda or baking powder in the fridge is good to cut down on smells too.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
You know, if you look at the word shampoo typed often enough, it really starts to look weird.

At any rate, I only shampoo every second or third day. My hair is normal-to-dry. I still get it wet in the shower even on days I don't wash it. On the "dirty" days it styles and behaves and looks much better than on freshly washed days.

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:57 AM »
For those of you who swear by OxiClean... it's primarily made of hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate.  Sodium carbonate is washing soda, which is an awesome product for laundry by itself, and it's much cheaper then OxiClean.  Arm & Hammer makes it - it comes in a big orange box (not to be confused with baking soda in the little orange box) and can be found on the laundry aisle of the store.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
I also started the no shampoo.  Washing with the soda is strange.  I'm so used to suds!! But my hair is softer, and I'm noticing it's not as greasy between washings.  It smells wonderfully clean without chemically perfumy smells.  My hair also feels thicker!

If it feels cleaner, smells cleaner and looks cleaner, and all I have to buy is a 70 cent box of  baking soda once in a while, hey!  This is good!  I'll get the conditioner, but I'll save a small fortune on shampoo!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
So for everyone who uses baking soda in the shower in some capacity, how do you store it?

I've taken to keeping a "bathroom box" of baking soda on a shelf over my toilet (which is right next to my shower, so easily reached).  It clumps a little because of all the moisture, although it's still usable for my purposes.

But there must be a better way to store and dispense it, especially since my hands are usually damp when I'm doing it.  What do the rest of you do?

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »
Dr. Bronner's Castile soap - I use it on my skin (and now have occasional breakouts, when I used to always be broken out), I use it to clean stubborn grease out of stoves, I use it to clean and condition wood, I use it to clean stains off the walls, I use it as bubble bath...

Epsom salts: I'm prone to altitude sickness, and Epsom salt is the only thing that can really cure the swelling. I got it pretty bad on a class trip to Ireland, and since we went over on a bank holiday and spent every day touring, I wasn't able to get any for the first four days. That made it really rough, because I could only fit my feet into the ballet flats I had been wearing on the plane, and ballet flats aren't exactly recommended footwear for hiking. However, two baths of Epsom salt water, and I had real feet again. I have since vowed to pack some whenever I'm going to be flying anywhere.

And for the vinegar, I don't really have any extra uses. I don't use baking soda as an exfoliant, though - I use oatmeal, coffee grounds, or sugar.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »
So for everyone who uses baking soda in the shower in some capacity, how do you store it?

I've taken to keeping a "bathroom box" of baking soda on a shelf over my toilet (which is right next to my shower, so easily reached).  It clumps a little because of all the moisture, although it's still usable for my purposes.

But there must be a better way to store and dispense it, especially since my hands are usually damp when I'm doing it.  What do the rest of you do?

I actually keep baking soda and Epsom salt in the hall closet and use a plastic dessert cup to pour some in to take in the shower...I just set it on the far corner of the window sill and use as needed.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »

I found one of my old plastic containers that doesn't have a lid, and just pour a little bit of baking soda it in at night when I take my vitamins and put it in the shower.   In the morning, after my shower, I put the container on the sink to drain, right by my vitamin box.  

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

BioformCassie

• My Etsy Store
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
Thank you so much for the vinegar suggestion! Ever since I moved into my house over a year ago I couldn't get the "glassed" in shower clean. I've tried everything! Emptied entire cans of scrubbing bubbles on it and nothing, zippo, nada. We were getting a frosted effect! Went and scrubbed with vinegar and I can see through my shower again! I think its going to take a couple weeks to get it perfect but it is so much better!

jmarvellous

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »
I find Dr. Bronner's highly irritating on certain sensitive skin areas. I've stopped using it entirely because of this. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions of an even milder in-shower cleanser that's 'natural'?

Irish Clovers

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »
Two questions:

#1 - What do you do if vinegar, aside from being in a salad, makes you gag?

#2 - The shampoo-less hair care.  See #1 and then what do you do if you use hair gel, hair paste and hair spray when you style your hair and not wash it every day?  I HAVE to wash it at least once a day to get all the styling crap our of my hair.