Author Topic: "Miracle" products  (Read 16434 times)

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
Re: "Miracle" products
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
I find Dr. Bronner's highly irritating on certain sensitive skin areas. I've stopped using it entirely because of this. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions of an even milder in-shower cleanser that's 'natural'?

What kind of Dr. Bronner's were you using? I can't use the peppermint, lemon, or tea tree around sensitive areas, but the almond and the unscented work great. I can't vouch for the lavender, since I'm allergic to it, but a friend of mine swears by it.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2010, 01:54:46 PM »
I find Dr. Bronner's highly irritating on certain sensitive skin areas. I've stopped using it entirely because of this. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions of an even milder in-shower cleanser that's 'natural'?

What kind of Dr. Bronner's were you using? I can't use the peppermint, lemon, or tea tree around sensitive areas, but the almond and the unscented work great. I can't vouch for the lavender, since I'm allergic to it, but a friend of mine swears by it.

Agreed.  I also enjoy plain Castille soap bars.

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
So for everyone who uses baking soda in the shower in some capacity, how do you store it?

I've taken to keeping a "bathroom box" of baking soda on a shelf over my toilet (which is right next to my shower, so easily reached).  It clumps a little because of all the moisture, although it's still usable for my purposes.

But there must be a better way to store and dispense it, especially since my hands are usually damp when I'm doing it.  What do the rest of you do?

My local store sells baking soda in a plastic shaker container with a lid.  If you can't find it packaged this way, I would invest in a small Rubbermaid plastic bottle.

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
Two questions:

#1 - What do you do if vinegar, aside from being in a salad, makes you gag?

#2 - The shampoo-less hair care.  See #1 and then what do you do if you use hair gel, hair paste and hair spray when you style your hair and not wash it every day?  I HAVE to wash it at least once a day to get all the styling crap our of my hair.

I think the nature of the baking soda is "scrubby" enough to get rid of the styling products/other build up.  Afraid I can't help you much on the vinegar question although I personally think apple cider vinegar is much less vinergary smelling  - if you have never tried it you might like that better.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
Two questions:

#1 - What do you do if vinegar, aside from being in a salad, makes you gag?

#2 - The shampoo-less hair care.  See #1 and then what do you do if you use hair gel, hair paste and hair spray when you style your hair and not wash it every day?  I HAVE to wash it at least once a day to get all the styling crap our of my hair.

I think the nature of the baking soda is "scrubby" enough to get rid of the styling products/other build up.  Afraid I can't help you much on the vinegar question although I personally think apple cider vinegar is much less vinergary smelling  - if you have never tried it you might like that better.

The baking soda will remove hair products...though personally I don't use them as my hair is away more manageable now.  Dilute apple cider vinegar...a few splashes in a pitcher  of warm water is enough.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jmarvellous

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »

Agreed.  I also enjoy plain Castille soap bars.

I've used the lemon in bar form, which wasn't so bad. But both the almond and the mint liquid soaps, while cleansing quite nicely, sting/itch a LOT on dry/shaved/sensitive skin, to me.
It's unfortunate because I really do like them otherwise, and my boyfriend loves the mint one.

Maybe I'll try the almond or lavender as a bar.

Edited to fix quote snafu.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »
I love Pureology Shampoo & Conditioner.  It's amazing!
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »
Don't suppose anyone knows a great product for getting paint out of a carpet?  :-[

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
Don't suppose anyone knows a great product for getting paint out of a carpet?  :-[

nail polish remover
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »

nail polish remover

which might take the color out of the carpet as well

if you know the brand of the carpet - try the maunfacture's website

a lot depends on what type of paint and how much is on the carpet too.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

JoW

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
Your best bet is probably a carpet transplant.  If you have a remnant somewhere that's the perfect donor.  Otherwise get it from the floor of a closet.  Cut a rectangle of donor carpet larger than the spill.  Use that as a template to cut out the spill, exactly that same shape.

Use double-sided carpet tape to hold the transplant in place.  Put the painted carpet in the closet using the same method. 

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »
So, one miracle product that I've heard other people talk about, but have only just found in a store to purchase and try myself -- Goody "Spin Pins":

It took me the longest time to find a store that sold these (I got them from Target, finally), and I'm definitely sold.  I have very long, somewhat slippery, thick hair.  So it's heavy, and it doesn't like to stay in really anything I've ever tried to contain it with (from rubber bands to bobby pins to specialty hair things meant for holding hair up).  I end up having to re-do a bun or ponytail or anything else about once every hour to keep it from just completely falling apart on me.

I put my hair in a bun with the spin pins about 4 hours ago, and haven't had to touch it since.  No stray locks falling out, it hasn't shifted down on my head from gravity, and it's got the same shape I put it in 4 hours ago.  Magic!  I am completely sold on these now, especially since they manage this lovely hold without being complicated to use or hurting my scalp.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »
Dindrane!  Thanks for posting this.  I have super fine, slippery hair, so not the same reasons as you, but truly nothing will contain my hair (unless I use half a bottle of hairspray).  I hope I can find some and that they make them small enough.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
Your best bet is probably a carpet transplant.  If you have a remnant somewhere that's the perfect donor.  Otherwise get it from the floor of a closet.  Cut a rectangle of donor carpet larger than the spill.  Use that as a template to cut out the spill, exactly that same shape.

Use double-sided carpet tape to hold the transplant in place.  Put the painted carpet in the closet using the same method. 

Sounds like a good idea, tricky thing is that it's several places and we don't have closets. So the only carpet would be from other areas that are clearly visible, which won't do when we come to sell. I don't know where the carpetting came from either  :-\

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »
Is is oil based paint? 
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill