Author Topic: Gwyneth Paltrow Mocks Lindsay Lohan on "Glee"  (Read 3254 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Gwyneth Paltrow Mocks Lindsay Lohan on "Glee"
« on: December 15, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »
Gwyneth Paltrow was a guest star on Glee, recently. She played a Spanish teacher, and during one of the scenes, tells the kids to write about how many times Lindsay has been in rehab, tells the kids Lindsay is crazy, etc.

Dina Lohan, Linsday's mother, gave an interview to Radar Online.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/12/exclusive-interview-lindsay-lohan-deeply-hurt-gwyneth-paltrow-mocking-her-says

Lindsay is still currently in the Betty Ford Center, but according to Dina, Lindsay is very hurt and thought that Gwyneth was her friend, and said this crosses the line.

Was Gwyneth inappropriate? Personally, I feel it was a role, on a well known comedy that makes fun of everyone. Seems par for the course. Especially given that Lindsay has made fun of herself on SNL.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:45:29 AM by jimithing »

KimberlyRose

Re: Gwyneth Paltrow Mocks Lindsay Lohan on "Glee"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »
I think it's in poor taste to begin with, and if Lindsey and Gwyneth really are friends, then that makes it worse.  It's not like Gwyneth needs the work, so I really think she should have turned this one down.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:54:30 AM »
I don't think Lindsey's mother has any right to comment about anything to do with Lindsey. She had a big hand in helping her down the path she took. And I don't think there is anyone out there that is 'good friends' with Lindsey, because for that last few years Lindsey hasn't had enough personality to be friends with. The articles I saw indicated the party girl personna was pretty much 24/7.  So dismissing Dina's commentary . . . what's left.

Paltrow seems to have a pretty hearty sense of humor, has certainly been parodied many times in her career, and it may not have occurred to her that on a show that thrives on vicious stereotyping, that another vicious joke would be particularly outstanding.

I don't know if Lindsey is still active in looking for acting work. If so, mean spirited teasing is part of Hollywood. If not, I agree they probably should have axed the joke though.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »
I think the fictional character made fun of LL.  There is a difference.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »
But it is a little different if it is a fictional character being played by a friend (or a supposed one).

Honestly, I can't find anything funny about Lindsay Lohan anymore.  To see a young, beautiful, talented person in such a downward spiral is far closer to tragedy for me.

MaggieB

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »

That's a good point, and the assignment (to discuss Lohan) was really in keeping with the character, who was trying really hard to connect with the kids about stuff they were currently into.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
What it tells me is that people aren't really expecting to see Lindsay's rehab work, or else that at this point she's burned through so much goodwill that her career won't recover.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Peggy Gus

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
I don't believe anything that comes out of Dina Lohan's mouth. She makes things worse by making statements to the press, I personally do not watch Glee, so I wouldn't have heard about it. I hope Lindsay wakes up and realises that her Mom is the one who is "screwing up" her life the most. (well Lindsay has screwed up her own life, but her Moma made it real easy for her)

I saw an article today where Dina said that Lindsay has officially turned down Dancing with The Stars, but that L thinks that Dina should do it. Dina then goes on talking about how she has always been a dancer, blah, blah. The woman is vile.

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2010/12/lindsay-lohan-passes-on-dancing-with-the-stars/

This article says that Lindsay had no issue with Gwenyth and hadn't even seen the show.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7020818083?Lindsay%20Lohan%20Really%20Fine%20With%20Gwyneth%20Paltrow's%20%22Glee%22%20Joke

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 01:18:29 PM »

I don't watch the show (can't imagine why, from what I know of it, I'd probably love it) but my first thought was that they should reserve their anger for the scriptwriters, not the actor.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Jan74

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
I think the fictional character made fun of LL.  There is a difference.

Pod. Dina Lohan can take it up with the writers.

Also, the character wasn't even making fun of Lindsay as much as this was supposed to show how Holly Holiday, substitute teacher, thought she was fun and hip and knew what kids were interested in, by making the lesson about her. It is a follow-up to "How would you know about Cee-Lo? Aren't you like 40?" to which she replies "Top 40, baby". It is for us to laugh at how ridiculous this "I'm gonna be your best friend" kind of teacher is, not for us to laugh at Lindsay Lohan.

Edited to also pod Maggie B, who said pretty much what I said.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »

I don't watch the show (can't imagine why, from what I know of it, I'd probably love it) but my first thought was that they should reserve their anger for the scriptwriters, not the actor.

Yeah, that was the other part of it.  I do think it was also less making fun of LL and more making fun of the way a teacher tries to engage kids.  As a teacher they stress tudent engagement so much in theory that content seems way down on the list of importance.  In the scene in question the sub has the kids break into groups and discuss the fact that Lohan is loco and how many times she has been in rehab (in Spanish).  My first thought was that if the "experts" in our district did a classroom walkthough their little hearts would go pitterpat to see engaged kids working in cooperative learning groups.  They'd actually think that was a far better lesson than a Spanish teacher lgiving a lecture on the history and culture of Spain.  

The whole episode seemed to be aimed at the humor in the experience of teaching.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
I think both Lindsay's parents are disgusting and attention hounds.  The joke would have been forgotten already if Dina didn't keep harping on it.  My opinion is she's not angry about the joke at all, but actually love the attention it's brought Lindsay herself.

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
Honestly, I think a lot of people have made good points here about the fictional character, Dina Lohan, and the writers, but when I first saw this title all I could think of was that I don't like Gwyneth Paltrow anyway.

She's given at least five major interviews in the past few years where she has talked about how awful Americans are, how we have no class, no manners, no dignity, and how she so much prefers the sophisticated, European lifestyle that she's found with her husband. The one time people really started to make a fuss about what she said (as far as I've seen), she insisted that she was translated incorrectly.

I'm tired of Gwyneth Paltrow.

Jan74

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
I prefer a more honest celebrity, even if she offends people - and heck, offends me! - than one coached to always be bland and perfectly polite, but that is just me.

Gwyneth Paltrow is a walking contradiction. One minute she is telling us all to be macrobiotic, the next she is touring Italy eating meat with Mario Batalli. I don't take anything she says or does seriously.

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
But it is a little different if it is a fictional character being played by a friend (or a supposed one).

Honestly, I can't find anything funny about Lindsay Lohan anymore.  To see a young, beautiful, talented person in such a downward spiral is far closer to tragedy for me.

I agree with this (though I do not find LL either beautiful or talented). She's just a wreck, by this point, and that's sad.
I have a thousand parents. Sadly they
Dissolve in their own virtues and recede.