Author Topic: Best result EVER  (Read 9057 times)

TaurusGirl

Best result EVER
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
I currently work at a Recreation Centre, and am in charge of setting up programs and events for the area's children. As necessary background, I have no children myself and do not plan on ever doing so. I don't mind kids as long as they behave, and I have worked with kids in the past, but this isn't my ideal job choice. (Essentially I took this position because it was the only job available when I moved here) end BG

In conversing with two coworkers about an upcoming event, I made an offhand comment about how I hoped the kids enjoyed it, as I really don't know what kids like. My childfree status came up when my coworkers told me I'd have children in a few years. One of my coworkers looked me up and down, sneered at me, and said "it should be a requirement of the job for you to have kids; they should get rid of you". He was 100% serious. I used the complete silence (and look of absolute shock, I admit) and walked away.

Two days later my coworker apologised both for the comment and for judging my choices, and bought me breakfast. Hooray for silence! Old TaurusGirl would have freaked out and stormed away.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Best result EVER
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
Great job!!!  ;D
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »
I have to say, you handled the apology much better than I would. After that comment, the coworker would have had a permanent work only from me that never thawed.

Well done!
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

meghanthedancer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »
I've gotten similar comments before - things like "You'll understand when you have your own kids" or "You're not a mom, that's why.."
My go-to response is to look at them and say calmly "You know, that could be very hurtful to say to someone who is unable to have children". They always look mortified and it shuts them down immediately. They don't need to know I CAN have kids, but choose not to - and I figure it's a lesson for them so that they don't hurt anyone who actually has been struggling with having kids.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
I remember you posting about this job.  Have you decided to stick it out for the next six months then? 

And congratulations!  I know sometimes it's harder to practice etiquette in real life than it seems.  Good for you!  :) 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

JacklynHyde

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 04:19:28 PM »
Wonderful job at holding your tongue.  I hope it was a lovely breakfast.  :D

Ginderette

• Working on my Social Interaction +1 Skill...
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »
Congratulations TaurusGirl!

I'd also have a hard time holding back EvilGinderette on that one.  ;)
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain

Isisnin

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:57:44 PM »
Wow.  Very well done on your part.  On his part, considering how bad his comment was, nice apology on his part as he bought you breakfast.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 06:36:31 AM »
Very well handled by you, both for the offense and the apology. I doubt I could have been so gracious.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »
:) thank you all!
And Ms_Shell, I'ev decided to stay at this one til my term is up; I seem to be learning a lot about myself while in this role, and it's a good opportunity for me to grow a little :)

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »
One of my coworkers looked me up and down, sneered at me, and said "it should be a requirement of the job for you to have kids; they should get rid of you". He was 100% serious.

I wonder what he though having a child would provide a person that's so critical to a job like this?

I have kids, and I stress out over birthday parties hoping that all the kids will have a good time. I don't assume that what my two like is some universal child standard of fun . . .

boxy

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »
Yay TaurusGirl!  I always love hearing about things like this that work and have a positive ending!  Way to go!!!!

channa17

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
It's actually noted in the book "Committed" that people who don't have kids are huge assets to the community.  People with kids are very, very busy at least in the younger years.  While not always true, it does happen that those people don't have time/energy to do the volunteering, community outreach activities etc. that they may have done before.  Of course some people still manage to have young kids, hold down a job, volunteer at the soup kitchen and teach Sunday School (for example) but for many those extra "good for the community" things go on the back burner.  A lot of those activities directly benefit kids.

I don't plan on having kids either, but I live in an Asian country where asking about kids and expecting others will have them is normal, and not rude to ask/speculate about.  So when I hear "soon there'll be kids on the way!" I just sort of smile and laugh noncommittally.  Back home in the USA, that earns a Death Stare.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »
As someone who willingly (and lovingly) works with kids but does not want any of her own either, I commend you for what you are doing. Your use of silence was very good and very effective in this situation.
I have pet mice!

AdakAK

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
Wow, I am glad that they saw the error of their ways.  I think sometimes, someone without kids can be good at those types of jobs.  Those of us with kids tend to filter things by what their kids enjoy.  I know I do this, and I've seen other parents do it too, not in a mean way or even intentionally.  Heck, I've been known to forget to ask if hamburgers come standard with onions because I forget that some people actually eat them!  ;)