Author Topic: Reality Show Rudeness: Gosselins dump Palins on camping trip  (Read 7505 times)

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
Reality Show Rudeness: Gosselins dump Palins on camping trip
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
No political comments, please. I am just focusing on the rudeness of behavior.
"Sarah Palin's Alaska" aired on Dec 12. Since the Palin show and the "Kate plus 8" Gosselin show both air on TLC, the network sent Ms. Gosselin and her 8 kids (and at least one bodyguard and one nanny were mentioned in passing or shown on film) to Alaska, and off on a camping trip with the Palin family, including Sarah's father, brother, and her husband Todd, and some of her kids. The show showed preparation for the trip, Sarah and family welcoming the Gosselin group into her home, and the Palins being very hospitable and friendly.

At the actual camping site, everything was set up for the group. The Gosselins did not have to do anything involving pitching tents, they just had to get there on private plane. (Ms. Gosselin was not alone, film showed the bodyguard at least once). It was raining lightly, but the Palins proceeded to be very involved with entertaining the children. Sarah's father especially was WONDERFUL with all the kids, showing them all kinds of things found by the river and in the woods around the campsite, and Sarah's brother involved the kids in helping to build the fire. Sarah and company got the kids involved in fixing lunch, they made smores over the campfire, and all the kids looked like they were having fun.

Ms. Gosselin, in contrast, stood under the tent flap out of the rain, complained about the cold, the rain, how much she hated camping, asked the Palin's daughter "Do you enjoy pretending to be homeless?", and finally threw her moose hotdog onto the ground, had a temper tantrum, and insisted they all leave. After two hours. When Sarah asked  how would she break it to the kids,  Ms. Gosselin just told them they were leaving. When some of the kids protested, she told them they would be Palins now, if they did not do as she said they could not be Gosselins any more.

Sarah was gracious and said nothing bad about Ms. Gosselin. Her father, however, said "She [female dog complained] from the minute she got off the plane." Sarah and family continued to enjoy the camping trip as planned.

My take: Even if you do not particularly like something, you can pretend to if your children are having a great time. I do not like camping, but I have been with my kids on scout trips and kept the complaints to a minimum because the kids were having FUN. Ms. Gosselin is PAID to do these kinds of things by TLC. She was a rude guest and also a very unprofessional reality "star".

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: Reality Show Rudeness: Gosselins dump Palins on camping trip
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:36:41 AM »
But it's great television, right? Debating the politeness of reality shows is a pretty futile endeavor. I don't even own a television and I 'get' that this is what people want to see.

Still, "Do you enjoy pretending to be homeless?" is a pretty  ??? :o ??? remark.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
This just confirms everything I thought about Kate Gosselin.  She needs to get over herself and, you know, act like real mother to the kids and not use them as props for her show (yes, her show, not theirs).  So nasty and rude to her hosts and children.  Maybe the children would be better off "being Palins" (and I never thought I would ever defend Sarah Palin).  As the years go by, you can Kate's eyes get emptier and emptier.

But it's great television, right? Debating the politeness of reality shows is a pretty futile endeavor. I don't even own a television and I 'get' that this is what people want to see.

I enjoyed the show in the beginning when it had nice little family outings and adventures (even then I didn't like Kate; I watched for Jon and the kids).  I don't watch anymore.  I like politeness in television but I realise I'm in the minority  :(.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »
I think they have been entertained to the nth degree at so many upscale places that Kate has irrational expectations that camping in the wilderness as it were will have the same comforts as Hawaii and all the other places they've been.  It is too bad because the kids seem a bit overstimulated at times and could probably benefit from a simpler vacation.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:53:19 AM »
But it's great television, right?

Yes, it is great TV, Joy in Virginia says, mumbling, looking down at the ground in embarassed manner.
A big part of the reason people watch Kate plus 8 is to see what outrageous thing Ms. Gosselin will say next. People watched Ms. Gosselin on Dancing with the Stars in horrified amazement at how truly awful her dancing was from week to week, and how she honestly thought she was good.  But this show made me feel very sad for the kids, and embarassed to have watched it. I will avoid anything with Ms. Gosselin on in the future - unless they put her on Survivor, with no bathroom and no food and someone like Nayonka to scream at her, that would be fun to watch.  

Excuse me, reality fan Joy in Virginia will just slink off in embarassment now...

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »
I watched this and I was appalled at how awful Kate was & how she let her kids run wild.  At one point in time they actually broke the bearskin rug the Palin's have by pulling the bear's tongue out and Kate was just like "oh was that detachable before?" Not only that but she was horribly rude to Sarah's father about all of his cool artifacts (apparently he was a teacher & you could totally tell he's got a teacher's soul by the way he interacted with the kids) and she was a total buzzkill with the little Palin girl pretty much mocking her (the kid) for the fact that she(the kid) loves to camp.  PLUS she was complaining about how freezing cold it was, but apparently it was actually like 53 degrees that day.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
I watched this and I was appalled at how awful Kate was & how she let her kids run wild.  At one point in time they actually broke the bearskin rug the Palin's have by pulling the bear's tongue out and Kate was just like "oh was that detachable before?" Not only that but she was horribly rude to Sarah's father about all of his cool artifacts (apparently he was a teacher & you could totally tell he's got a teacher's soul by the way he interacted with the kids) and she was a total buzzkill with the little Palin girl pretty much mocking her (the kid) for the fact that she(the kid) loves to camp.  PLUS she was complaining about how freezing cold it was, but apparently it was actually like 53 degrees that day.

Seriously? Bearskin rugs (if real) are expensive! I hope TLC replaced the rug, so glad I don't watch either show, I may have had a stroke.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »

Seriously? Bearskin rugs (if real) are expensive! I hope TLC replaced the rug, so glad I don't watch either show, I may have had a stroke.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hunted the bear which would take the price down somewhat, though it would probably increase the attachment to the rug.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
asked the Palin's daughter "Do you enjoy pretending to be homeless?",

Ok, so absolutely rude. But come on, at least it was witty.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »

Not particularly.   ???

KimberlyRose

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »

How so?

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
It wasn't just what she said, but the WAY she said it, in a dismissive, nasty way. And she said it to a little girl about 10? 11? And they had many more comforts in the campsite than a real homeless person would.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 11:31:21 PM »
And who couldn't see this coming a mile away?

When I saw advertisements for this, I thought it was a joke.

Obviously they did it for ratings--who couldn't predict that Kate would act the way that she did?  I would have found it very surprising if she had gotten anything positive out of the experience.

They should have just sent the kids of hers that wanted to go there--but I don't think that was the point!

immadz

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:12 AM »
I don't know if i believe reality tv is reality or that this is Kate's real personality. I think she is asked to act for the cameras and she performs.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
I don't know if i believe reality tv is reality or that this is Kate's real personality. I think she is asked to act for the cameras and she performs.

I hate to say it, but is asked to act like what?  She seems to have all the charisma of a foot fungus.  I remember her complaining about her husband on the show before she/they got rid of him in such a ranty way that it was pretty obvious where that was headed.

I would say that she needs the money to keep rolling in (as does her agent) and they just put her into positions where they know she will act the way she acts.

IMO, she doesn't seem to have enough self-awareness to actually be performing.