Author Topic: One tired XMAS Elf checking - shameless promotion of my volunteer organization !  (Read 3018 times)

POF

I am a volunteer with an organization that provides XMAS wishes ( toys and clothing ) for children in need. This year we gave out gifts to 1,000 children !  :D

I started working nights and weekends on Nov 1st. Friday was the day we distribute gifts to the parents.  Our organization is very personalized, each child has a wish list with 3 items ( I edited most of those lists- I can name any toy or sporting good item out there ). We limit wishes to less than $100 and nothing violent etc.

We also make sure each child has  winter clothing.

I spent 13 hours on my feet, handing out gifts. We treat the parents in our program as our guests. We try really hard to make it an enjoyable process for them. ( We have to validate ID's.,do paper work ,  and other information etc. , each parent meets with our presdent or a board member, they get to pick out sticking stuffers and extra gifts in our Santa room and then at the end - we give them the big bags of gifts for their children. )

While the parents are waiting - we have a hospitality room with coffee, pastry, tea assorted snacks. We insist on no children - some of our parents - work mutliple jobs and they tell me they love to come into our room which is decorated and have a little break.

A lot of the new parents in our program think that the santa room is all of the toys they get. They can not believe when we have a bag of toys / clothing for each child. I of course spend the day in tears.

One gentlemen told me he was very embarrassed to get assistance - but we are so nice and treat everyone as a valued client .... it made him feel better. We greet everyone, we introduce ourselves  - and I give everyone a hug / squeeze or a heart handshake ( I try to read the body language ).

Our community is phenomenal, from the compay that donates gifts , the donor who bought a basketball hoop for a family with 4 teens who want to keep them at home instead of hanging at the park, the gymanstics club that gave 4 memberships and uniforms to 4 little girls and the tickets to the nutcracker for a little girl who always wanted to go.

I sat and cried with a single mom who is going through chemo and could not believe that we are giving her son ( 8 years old ) such a great xmas. The mother of triplets who are 11 - they wanted an IPOD shuffle - she wrote a note and said that they would be very happy to share one - they would love it and promised not to fight.  ( They each got one in their favorite color )

I could go on and on ... but it's why I get 5 hours of sleep and don't see too much of my husband.  I know there are so many generous and kind Ehellions. Thanks to all you do to help your fellow man/woman/favorite furry critter at XMAS.

POF

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
Thank you for helping so many families and children! My best friend is going through a very long and drawn out divorce, and was a recipient of gifts for her children (and herself!) last year... She couldn't believe all the gifts they received. They can't sign up more than once every 5 years for the LARGE Christmas, but she is on her way now to pick up two or three smaller gifts from the organization for her girls this year from the same group.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

Luci

• Super Hero!
Thank you for reassuring us that the things we do and the money we donate to organizations like yours are not wasted.

We never get to see the clients we shop for, so it's nice to hear that it is appreciated.

It's people like you who do so much that enable people like us to do a little tiny bit but still feel good, so your work is going both ways!

POF

Thank you for reassuring us that the things we do and the money we donate to organizations like yours are not wasted.

We never get to see the clients we shop for, so it's nice to hear that it is appreciated.

It's people like you who do so much that enable people like us to do a little tiny bit but still feel good, so your work is going both ways!

Our organization is super super thrifty. Our donor line ladies are great at finding businesses to donate stuff to use. We use and recylce office supplies and equipment until there is nothing left. When we shop with donated money, we use coupons and try t oget the best deal.  Kudos to the manager of Justice, we shopped for several young girsl there and she gave us her discount code to use !

We also make sure every one of our recipients is deserving. Unfortunately some people want free things - even when the have adequate disposable income to buy presents. We carefully make sure that each child lives in our service area and that our clients are not double and triple dipping assistance. If we find that they have - they are no longer eligible for services.

We truly appreciate every single dollar donated, every plate of fudge dropped off for us, every bit of gift wrap dropped off. Thanka again.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Your story is so beautiful and touching! Thank you, POF, for all that hard work you did. I know your heart must feel so blessed by all you saw!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I helped out one afternoon with our local Christmas Cheer program, sorting toys and hats, mitts and scarves.

I took in a donation, too, of flour and shortening and oil for baking, since I love to do it.  Turns out, that particular program can't use it.  But they have mechanisms in place to donate stuff they can't use to other organizations, so my stuff probably went to the local food bank.

But I couldn't believe the utter crap some people donated.  From expired and down right weird food to used and damaged toys.  It just takes the time of the volunteers to weed that stuff out.

So kudos to all those who help out at Christmas, from donating money, food and/or toys to spending a few hours volunteering to those who run the programs, taking vacation from work to do it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario