News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Don't Post Your Holiday Plans! The Bad Guys Will Come!"  (Read 6952 times)

Witty Username Goes Here

Re: "Don't Post Your Holiday Plans! The Bad Guys Will Come!"
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
I do think you need to be cautious, but if your privacy settings are high enough you shouldn't have an issue.  Only friends can see my statuses...well...my entire wall, actually.  If I'm going on vacation, I usually post that.  Then again, my husband is usually home (CJ and I used to take lots of trips to see my family when he was much, much smaller - my husband couldn't always get the vacation time). 

While I think it's good to warn your friends, I think you also need to chose your wording carefully while doing so.  99% of my friends are adults over the age of 18.  I know they don't need to be spoken to like small children.  And the two teenage girls I am friends with have mothers who will take care of them. :)   

Jan74

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »
I have my FB set to just friends seeing my info, but just in case, I don't even post the city I live in, or join any groups that could hint at it. I'd never post that I'm gonna be away. Heck, I'm paranoid about having my name there and I'm seriously considering doing a full digital death.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 02:06:07 AM »
I haven't posted my address to FB, but anybody reading it will know what country I'm from, and I'm the only person with my full name in Denmark, so finding my address is the work of minutes if you know Danish.

That said, I know all the people on my flist (90% of whom aren't from Denmark anyway ;) ) and have set my status to "friends only", so mentioning that I'm going to be away isn't something that troubles me.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Jan74

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 05:22:17 AM »
I did opt for the full digital death in the end. Deleted everything but last.fm.

mechtilde

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 05:56:48 AM »
I do think that it is advisable to be cautious about what you post online- yes, there will be people who look online to see who is away. There are people who will look in the marriage and funeral announcements to see who is out.

She shouldn't really be pushing those posts onto other people though.
NE England

Peggy Gus

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
My Husband's Great-grandmother died and her house was burglarized while we were all at the funeral. Family from California was staying at her house and they came back and the house was trashed. I believe that thieves will go to any length to figure our what houses are empty and which aren't. The family was told that there was a theft ring that was going through the obits and burglarizing homes while the family was at the funeral. It was easy to see from the obit that she lived alone, but no one ever thought not to put certain info in the paper because they would get robbed if they did.

mechtilde

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 08:48:54 AM »
When my grandparents died, the funeral home organised a security guard to stay there during the service- not bad for him he just had to be there and drink tea!

It was pretty much standard practice where they lived. Sad, but true.
NE England

Sharnita

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:28 AM »
 I just wish the burglers around here would wait until people were gone before breaking in   :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:13:43 AM by Sharnita »

high dudgeon

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
Do you curb your activities online because of safety worries?

Absolutely. It's not a hardship or anything. I don't post that I'm going to go on vacation for a week. I just post about it after I've gotten back. It seems like a pretty easy and worthwhile security precaution to me.

JacklynHyde

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 10:54:51 AM »
As long as you aren't insisting that EVERYONE make the warning their status update, I think it's a good reminder.  It's one thing if your immediate friends know, but another if your 494 Facebook acquaintances have your travel plans as well as where you stash the spare key.  ;)

Giggity

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
I am superbly unconcerned with online identity security. It's very easy to figure out who I am. I know I've posted my first and last names here (not in the same post, I don't think). One of my pictures at my political site, if you right-click on it, the file name contains my full name.

The way I see it, there's enough rich people in Houston that I don't have to worry.
Words mean things.

WillyNilly

• Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
Some people really do need to be reminded, that's the sad thing.

A few months ago I sent a FB message to a friend from college.  She posted 3 days in a row about her upcoming trip to Florida (she lives in NY).  She had also posted photos of her (12 year old) daughter in front of their house (she has her town listed in her info, so one could find the house), the daughter's dad's name (so now the kid's info is out there), and the daughter's school's name (again info on the daughter, and also helpful in locating the house).  I sent her a note pointing out she had basically just given both thieves and would-be child abductor's great information to work with. 

I mean seriously one could garner all sorts of info from her posts - she posts about her cat, about her jobs, about her home, her car's, her extended family, etc.  Oh and she has, last time I looked over 400 Facebook friends.

Even if her settings are set to "Friends only" who knows if those people are leaving their Facebook open on public or easy to see computers (open workspace, libraries, etc).

She's not a generally dumb person, she's just super friendly and upbeat and I think she seriously doesn't think about evil people being out there.

JoieGirl7

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 04:42:44 AM »
I think its a valid concern.

I think that PMs certainly allow for more awareness to be shared because a public posting comes across as a kind of chastisement.  A sincere PM comes across more caring.

After all, if you are concerned about someone and their privacy, why talk about it in public.

I looked at the site pleaserobme.com and it was very interesting.

it's not enough to set your FB privacy settings--you have to do it over and over as they keep adding things that you have disable or customize to make sure that where you are and what you're doing is not popping up where you don't want it to.

Jan74

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »
I have a client whose neighbor has, for 2 years in a row, posted a message at his gate saying "I will be in [Foreign Country] until [exact date] for my yearly vacation. Please leave a message in my mailbox".

For 2 years in a row, he has been robbed, and has requested her security camera footage (she has quite the setup, she sees the outside of pretty much everyone's house). The first year, she said, both before he left when he put the sign up, and when he came back and told her he was robbed, that maybe he shouldn't put the sign up. He just dismessed her.

Some people.  ::)

Horace

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »
I have a client whose neighbor has, for 2 years in a row, posted a message at his gate saying "I will be in [Foreign Country] until [exact date] for my yearly vacation. Please leave a message in my mailbox".

For 2 years in a row, he has been robbed, and has requested her security camera footage (she has quite the setup, she sees the outside of pretty much everyone's house). The first year, she said, both before he left when he put the sign up, and when he came back and told her he was robbed, that maybe he shouldn't put the sign up. He just dismessed her.

Some people.  ::)

He really thinks that is a good idea?  ::) The mind boggles!