News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Don't Post Your Holiday Plans! The Bad Guys Will Come!"  (Read 6953 times)

Jan74

Re: "Don't Post Your Holiday Plans! The Bad Guys Will Come!"
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
I have a client whose neighbor has, for 2 years in a row, posted a message at his gate saying "I will be in [Foreign Country] until [exact date] for my yearly vacation. Please leave a message in my mailbox".

For 2 years in a row, he has been robbed, and has requested her security camera footage (she has quite the setup, she sees the outside of pretty much everyone's house). The first year, she said, both before he left when he put the sign up, and when he came back and told her he was robbed, that maybe he shouldn't put the sign up. He just dismissed her.

Some people.  ::)

He really thinks that is a good idea?  ::) The mind boggles!

The worse for me is doing it again after being robbed the first year.

She is checking to see if he goes for a 3rd time.

ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:20 PM »
I wonder how his insurance company would feel about such a sign?
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Jan74

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »
I wonder how his insurance company would feel about such a sign?

Very few people here have insurance that covers the contents of the house against theft, so basically their expense is to replace the locks or any broken glass. It's a high crime city (#1 in violent crime per capita in the country  :o), so my policy for example will cover my contents up to 20k if it floods, catches fire, or the roof caves in from a meteor, but not if some dude walks in and takes the electronics, clothes, etc.

The cost to insure a $500 laptop, just for theft in your own home - not if it is taken elsewhere - is around $300 a year. At those prices, you might as well just invest the cash to buy a new one if necessary. Thieves will typically take any jewelry, a tv or computer, and maybe expensive clothing items like leather jackets, aka, exactly that which is not insured.   ::)

I paid a bit extra to insure that should anyone boost my "home appliances", like microwave or fridge, they'll be replaced, but I've heard of very few "Park a moving truck, clear the house" robberies where my insurance would pay me anything. My former manicurist suffered that though. They took even the pantry contents, the food she had. She came home to nothing but 1 large living room unit, and curtains. Clothes were taken cause they took the wardrobe where they were stored.  :o

ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »
Yikes! What a story Jan74!  I cant imagine comimg home to that.   :o
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Jan74

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »
Yikes! What a story Jan74!  I cant imagine comimg home to that.   :o

It was terrible. Her clients pooled together to give money so she could replace the essentials, and her boss wears the same clothing size, so she gave her some of those so she could hold until she bought more. She also stayed over at her boss's.

Sirius

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
I was just perusing FB, when I saw a status from a FB friend telling people not to post about their holiday plans, as it let's people know when they are going to be out of town, and people can come in and rob them. A little eyerolling, but fine.

But then, I saw that she posted something similar on *other* people's FB statuses, who mentioned their holiday plans, saying the same thing.

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. I do get the safety concern, but it still seems a bit OTT. Do you curb your activities online because of safety worries?

Do I know you in real life?  I had someone post that exact thing when I mentioned that I was going to a Christmas party.  I knew the person who left the post, a friend from high school well known for being a little different, and I posted him back and asked, "Do you actually know where I am?  Because it's not where you think."