Author Topic: Victorian etiquette test :)  (Read 5479 times)

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
Victorian etiquette test :)
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:42:51 AM »
Found this and had some fun with it http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/keys/games/game_0/ (pretty graphics also).  :)

Well, it seems that with my 21st century etiquette, I would have passed the Victorian "walk in the park" and "train travel" tests just fine... but boy, I'd have created scandal in a ballroom.  ;D It seems that Victorians did not believe in "dance as if no one could see you" and women dancing with each other- that was "scandalous". (Case in which I'm sooo glad I don't live in those times, as at the parties I attend it seems to happen all the time.) Also, a woman was not supposed to walk across the ballroom unattended. (Oh baby...)

What are your chances of etiquette survival in the 19th Century?
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Akarui Kibuno

Re: Victorian etiquette test :)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:14:07 AM »
451 points... "Bravo! You are the picture of politeness!"

My biggest problem was with outfits :P
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »
Thanks to my obsession with Pride and Prejudice, some etiquette seems to have rubbed off - 471/500 as a female. Some of the "rules" were confusing though - A man isn't meant to talk to you without an introduction, but it's okay for him to sit next to you on a train and chat?

461/500 as a man, but I'd definitely need some help dressing myself!

I ended up with a 442 - I did terribly on the train ones -especially that one about the stranger!

Shopaholic

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:54:06 AM »
Cute! I got 471 as a lady, although I did not know how to conduct myself in the train's dressing room.

Also fell with men's fancy dress - the clothes didn't seem Victorian to me at all!

A gentlemen never refusing a lady's request should be brought back :)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »
Sadly, I did about 200 points better as a man than a woman, despite having read many a Victorian novel.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »
461 - Picture of Politeness as a woman!! This is a fun game!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »
970 total. Not too shabby. I like reading old etiquette books though.

It would be interesting if they created one for the 1950's era. The etiquette is often quite odd and funny.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
Where is the fifth place, I only saw 4 on the board (the park, the train station, the ballroom, and at home)?
The Gentlemen's Club was subbed for the park for the men.

I didn't look at my score, but I did get elevated to "The Picture of Politeness" as either gender. 8) My first attempt to dress as a man for the fancy ball got me carted off by aliens, and I was chased out of the club twice for improper dress - once by an angry butcher and then by an elephant. Ah well, if I were really Victorian upper crust, I'd have a valet to keep me from making such blunders, wouldn't I?  ;)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:59:18 AM »
Also fell with men's fancy dress - the clothes didn't seem Victorian to me at all!

"Fancy Dress Ball" is Victorian for "Costume Party" :)  So the clothes weren't meant to be your regular evening attire, as that would not be fancy dress. ;)

This was a fun little quiz, though!

Petticoats

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »
This was a lot of fun, although I too found some of the rules strange (and I didn't always like the choices offered).

I scored 480/500, goofing up a few times as dinner-party hostess.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:17:46 AM »
I got trown off by some because of the difference in today's manners.  Such as when meeting a gentleman for the first time you don't extend your hand.  I was taught that a lady always extends her hand first and hat men are not suppose to reach to shake hands first.  The head nod seems so dismissive.

But I still got the Picture of Politeness.
93 93/93

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
I got 471/500 - train travel etiquette caught me out!

NE England

agentsmith

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
451 as a woman.  Missed the 'stranger on a train'-the 'strange man' part got me-didn't think women were supposed to talk to men before they were introduced-and the 'hostess' attire. 

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »

"Fancy Dress Ball" is Victorian for "Costume Party" :)  So the clothes weren't meant to be your regular evening attire, as that would not be fancy dress. ;)

This was a fun little quiz, though!

Ah that explains it - I got the dress wrong for the  men & women for that one.  I did better with the men's overall though - 480 + 442 for the lady one = 922 total

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 12:29:04 PM »
Blah blah blah, boing boing, weeeheh weeeheh.

So I think I've mastered Victorian conversation anyway  ;D

I got a 480 as female and a perfect 500 as the male. But that was by being completely dishonest about the activities taking place in the men's club.  You know durn well when he was talking about that lady of easy virtue you'd have pulled out your 'highly illegal French etchings.'  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:38:06 PM by hyzenthlay »