Author Topic: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."  (Read 26012 times)

Jan74

"... because they can't afford to get divorced."  :o

Said to me by a single woman, at a party where 3 married couples, including the hosts, were present, as well as a few assorted people. Within earshot of an 8-year-old, whose parents are, of course, married.

I couldn't even think of anything to say.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:07:08 AM »
Wow.  That is just...  No words.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »
"Wow, that's a cynical enough view of marriage for 10 people!"

Or, more rudely....no, I wont go there, it's just too trite, and really not nice. 

I would have laughed as if she said something ridiculous "You cant possibly believe that?!"  "[her answer here]"  "oh...{wide eyed expression that makes it clear you think she's crazy}well, then, on to more pleasant topics! [insert topic change here]"
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »
I... she... wha?!?!  :o :o :o :o
The status is not quo!

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »
Wow.   :o  The only possible explanation I can think of is that she is herself divorced and wants to make herself feel better about it or something?  ???  I don't think I'd be able to think of anything to say to that either.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:26:20 AM »
How does that even make sense?
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

EngineerChick

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »
Wow.    :o  I am having a hard time thinking how to reply politely to that comment.

Of course, I am wondering what her opinion is of people who have been married 30+ years (like my parents) or 60+ years (like my grandparents). >:D
Talk nerdy to me.

Jan74

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:43:54 AM »
"oh...{wide eyed expression that makes it clear you think she's crazy}well, then, on to more pleasant topics! [insert topic change here]"

This part there is what I did. My eyes bugged out, and I said that the cheese was just delicious.

Wow.   :o  The only possible explanation I can think of is that she is herself divorced and wants to make herself feel better about it or something?  ???  I don't think I'd be able to think of anything to say to that either.

I thought of the same thing, but I asked a friend later, she's never been married (the rude line sayer). Her parents are divorced though.

The word she said was actually even worse than low-class, it was closer to "redneck". It is very declassé to not have multiple divorces, it seems.  ::)

Wow.    :o  I am having a hard time thinking how to reply politely to that comment.

Of course, I am wondering what her opinion is of people who have been married 30+ years (like my parents) or 60+ years (like my grandparents). >:D

They are clearly poor people. Possibly country people as well.  ::)

EngineerChick

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
The word she said was actually even worse than low-class, it was closer to "redneck". It is very declassé to not have multiple divorces, it seems.  ::)

Wow.    :o  I am having a hard time thinking how to reply politely to that comment.

They are clearly poor people. Possibly country people as well.  ::)

Which is hilarious, as my family are country people, and we have more than a few self-proclaimed rednecks in the family (who have all been married more than 10 years, oddly enough).  Guess I need to stay away from those city fellers with their high-falutin' ideas.  ;)

Seriously, good job on not commenting on this.  Even though you were gob-smacked, I think not commenting was probably the politest response that did not start an argument.
Talk nerdy to me.

Jan74

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »

Seriously, good job on not commenting on this.  Even though you were gob-smacked, I think not commenting was probably the politest response that did not start an argument.

All that flashed through my mind was the E-Hell commandment: Do Not Engage The Crazy.

phred246

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »
Only 10 years per couple? Between my siblings and me, there are more than 90 years of marriage! Add in my niece and nephew, make that 100 years!

Was it the Lunar Eclipse on the Winter Solstice that brought out this comment?

ETA: I forgot to use spell check!
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
Thell that to The Queen and Prince Phillip  ;)
NE England

Jan74

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
It was this Sunday, so lunacy may have been involved.

Nora

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 10:41:22 AM »
That's one way to make yourself feel better about your inability to stay in a long-term relationship...
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

goldilocks

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »
That attitude is actually rather sad.  I'm in my second marriage, and it rather makes me sad that he and I aren't likely to make 50 years due to our ages.  Many of our relatives and friends have been married 20+ years, and I'm a little envious of them.