Author Topic: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."  (Read 25157 times)

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
Re: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »
I guess the President and the first lady are low class too, as are nearly all of our previous Presidents as well.  I probably wouldn't have been able to control myself from pointing out all the "low class" couples out there to the person so incredibly stupid and low class as to make a remark like that.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Jan74

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
I've been married for 15 years and I'm 36. I'm low-class as well.  ;D

mamakinz

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Wow - I have no idea how I would have replied to that - but with that attitude, I'm not sure I'd want to be social with her - since she thinks I am low-class - DH & I will celebrate 18 years in Feb, my sis will celebrate 18 yrs in Sept 2011 and in 2012 my parents will celebrate 50 yrs married

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »
I'm just coming up to our 10th anniversary- should I be consulting a lawyer?  >:D
NE England

magicdomino

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
Ah, now we have the real reason for renewing vows.  If you renew your vows every 10 years, it's like you re-marry each time.  Kind of like renewing a lease. 

Amava

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »
I pity the fool.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »
Ah, now we have the real reason for renewing vows.  If you renew your vows every 10 years, it's like you re-marry each time.  Kind of like renewing a lease. 

Only low-class people lease. The rich can afford to buy ;D

Kidding! Seriously, this woman seems to be confused between money and class (both the socio-economic kind, and the kind that can't be bought).

Jan74

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »

Hahahah. It should be 5 years though, to be even classier.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
I'd be like: "And the punchline to this joke was...?" (not sure if Ehell-approved though)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
I feel terribly sorry for her! Just think how incredibly cynical / disillusioned she must feel about love to say such a thing. Of course that doesn't excuse her rudeness, but...  :( :( :(

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

CaptainObvious

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »
Sometimes, there is nothing to say, a stunned (awkward) silence speaks greater volumes.

Holy Cow.

(I've been married too long, I guess....)

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
Kidding! Seriously, this woman seems to be confused between money and class (both the socio-economic kind, and the kind that can't be bought).

Truth.

It's actually pretty easy to divorce if there are no assets and no kids. Really it's the middle class that might find a divorce costs too large a portion of their assets. The rich might wince, but they can afford it.

As far a non purchasable class, I've seen 'poor' people that had an amiable divorce and remained friends having realized they just shouldn't be together. And 'rich' people that were mean and nasty and kept the fight going for years, just because they could.

sweetgirl

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »
Actually that kid who created facebook is uber rich and he rents his townhouse. Lol. Well my comeback to that would be only rich people get divorced. And celebrities.

Jan74

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Actually that kid who created facebook is uber rich and he rents his townhouse.

This should have been my comeback when my cousin told me that I "really shouldn't adopt while living in a rental townhouse". Never mind I own an apartment worth more than my rental, but it is not in the city where I currently live, so it is rented there and I still make a little profit after taxes and mortgage. I also don't plan to live where I live much longer, but even if I did, I don't have downpayment on a second property to spare as that is exactly the life savings I amassed to raise my future child.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
Actually, she's wrong on her statistics. Statistically, the rich stay married, and reportedly are very happy in their marriages. The lower/middle classes are the ones who are breaking up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:03:24 PM by Twik »
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."